4. Florida
5. Minny
6. TB
7. Nashville
8. Dallas

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Totally agree with you Rubixpube. It's nice to see some posts in this thread where Winnipeg is not automatically ranked as 31 or "I don't want to play there". Some people are ignorant in the sense that they just don't really know anything about Winnipeg so they rank it low on their list and then there are those that are ignorant by basing their opinions on stereotypes (i.e frozen uninhabitable wasteland, murders, etc.). It's sort of like basing one's opinion of the U.S. on all the school shootings and thinking that's all the U.S. is about.

Winnipeg is one of Canada's best kept secrets and for the most part people only realize how different it is than what they perceived after they moved here and lived here for a couple of years. Corporate recruiters acknowledge that it's difficult to attract people to Winnipeg (due to perceptions of our city) but once they've lived here it's even more difficult to get them to move away.

It's a cosmopolitan city with lots to do. The arts scene in Winnipeg is huge for a city our size compared to most other locations. There's plenty to do if you know what you want to do and where to find it. If all you want is to golf year round or walk on the beach, then no, Winnipeg is not the place for you.

As far as I know, you wouldn't be able to find many players that donned a Winnipeg Jets jersey going back to 1972, when Bobby Hull signed his contract at Portage and Main, that would have anything negative to say about Winnipeg with the exception of Evander Kane maybe.

I'm not going to knock any other NHL market as they probably all have good aspects about them but I will say that those that diss Winnipeg, including those expats that moved away that do so, are most likely those that rely on the work of others in order to make something of their own lives rather than putting in the work to do it themselves.

:jets

Youre not comparing it to a village in central africa lmao. You are comparing it to the other NHL cities. I could easily see most people put Winnipeg or Edmonton at the bottom. It doesn't mean it's a third world country to live in....it's just compared with the best of the best.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Places I wanta go

Vancouver...…...Fresh air, fresh water, outdoors, scenery, fishing, sking, fresh air , and green all year!
Montreal...……..Culture, fashion, history, restaurants
Boston...………..The Land of Orr, the Celtics, Patriot's, and Red Sox
NYR...…………...My wife wants to go there
Nash...…………..I want to go there (see the priority!)
Colorado...……..Clean Air.....scenery
Tampa...………...Heat baby heat! Play!
LA...……………….More Heat
Arizona...………..Golf Courses...lots and lots!
SJ...………………..Wine and heat
Calgary...………..It is kind of nice...…..the BOW River and the Rockies
Vegas...…………..With money - yes...….without money - no

Honorable Mention to

Seattle...………….Fresh Air and clean water
Quebec City...…..Culture, friendly people
Ottawa...………….Fun place!

Places of NO!

Winterpeg……….Cold, snow, black flies and skeeters
Edmonton...…….Cold, dirty
Buffalo...………….Meah???
Toronto...………...No!

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Wasn't there a thread exactly like this recently? Anyway:

1. Pittsburgh. I don't ever want to leave here to be honest.

I don't really have solid rankings for the rest. I'd prefer NOT to be in huge metropolis areas like NYC, Philly, DC, Boston or LA. Maybe Toronto. One exception would be Chicago. I liked it there.
lol.

Reactions: Beauner

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Youre not comparing it to a village in central africa lmao. You are comparing it to the other NHL cities. I could easily see most people put Winnipeg or Edmonton at the bottom. It doesn't mean it's a third world country to live in....it's just compared with the best of the best.

I'm just saying a lot of opinions about Winnipeg or Edmonton are superficial. Some people have no idea what either of those cities are like other than the fact they get cold weather during the winter. Not all players believe they are celebrities and need to play in a city where nobody recognizes them away from the rink. Not all players need to live where they can golf year round or go to the beach every day. It seems rather pointless for these threads to be started in the first place as they always turn out the same in which certain individuals always start making negative diatribes towards one city or another. A more apropos way is to limit the response to what location(s) is/are your favorite choice(s) and why. There is no need to add which location(s) are not desirable.

:jets

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
Been there many times. Their hockey fans are super bandwagon and not very knowledgeable about anything over 8 years ago. Also the fact that you feel you need to say "don't call it a town, its a city!" just kinda helps prove the point of how I feel about the people. Too uptight. Relax bro. Town, city... its all the same thing. People from other parts of the country may use slang a little bit different. Is that OK with you? :laugh:

I am relaxed, bro. I always pride myself on being calm cool and collected. Most of the people here are as well. There's exceptions yes, some of which post on this particular board but if you want uptight look at Boston, NYC or Philadelphia.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
1- Montreal (lifelong dream)
2- Vancouver (Home, Coastal BC - Yes Please!)
3- Colorado (Mountains, backcountry, fishing/hunting)
4- Minnesota (backcountry)
5- Winnipeg (backcountry)
6- Calgary (Close enough to Banff/Jasper)
7- Nashville (Love the smokies)
8- Carolina (Carolinian Forests and Streams!)
9- Toronto (Family/Hockey city)
10- Boston (I like a good Cod as much as any man)

Basically everywhere else is too hot, too crowded, or too flat.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
In no particular order, other than the order I thought of them in:
Norcal
Socal
Vegas
NYC
Great Lakes

Anything else is less appealing to me but I'd play anywhere.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I wouldn't get too worked up about it, some people are just ignorant about cities outside their bubbles and prefer to keep it that way.

Truth is all NHL cities would be great to live in for one reason or another, but relative to one-another, some just stand out more.

The way I see it, if your city can house at least 1 of the big 4 leagues, there has got to be some fun stuff to do there.

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
New York pretty much exclusively. There's not one city on Earth that can match the Manhattan lifestyle.

Yeah, tons of fun listening to 30 honking horns every 6 seconds if you're in a car. Then it takes 45 mins to get 3 miles. Or let's go with awful construction filled signal problem public transportation.

Great lifestyle. Waiting for "you're ignorant" post. I lived there for years. It sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad