roberts
clark

peak:

neely
stevens
shanahan
clark / tocchet (very hard to choose)
roberts

he'd squarely be on the bottom of both lists, but seems like kevin dineen deserves to be in the conversation given the timeframe of these guys' peaks and careers.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I think the Power Forward epithet is a bit corny sometimes. Or at least it sounds a bit corny. Power Winger takes the cake though.

What's the criteria for a Power Winger? Can a small guy like Theo Fleury be considered a Power Winger or is he more like a pest?

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
I think the Power Forward epithet is a bit corny sometimes. Or at least it sounds a bit corny. Power Winger takes the cake though.

What's the criteria for a Power Winger? Can a small guy like Theo Fleury be considered a Power Winger or is he more like a pest?

I used winger because I wanted to intentionally leave out guys like Lindros and Messier.

I know you like to complain around here but power forward is a pretty accepted term.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I wasn't complainin' I only contemplated a bit around the criteria.

Pat Paeplow

May 16, 2013
If you're talking exclusively 90s then John LeClair ranks well ahead of Roberts, Clark, Tocchet and probably even Neely.

Slapshooter

Apr 25, 2007
If you're talking exclusively 90s then John LeClair ranks well ahead of Roberts, Clark, Tocchet and probably even Neely.

Depends how much you put weight on fighting skill when ranking classic power forwards. It was an integral part of their job during that era, especially early 90's. Not necessarily the fighting itself, but the aura of intimidation and that attitude of "not taking any crap from anybody" as an old school power forward should be able to handle sometimes even goons and enforcers if necessary.

1. Neely (the best goal scorer, the best hitter and a good, if not an excellent fighter)
2. Shanahan (a very good all-around)
3. Tocchet (a good goal scorer, a very good hitter, an excellent fighter)

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Peak:

Cam Neely
Kevin Stevens
Brendan Shanahan
Rick Tocchet
Wendel Clark
Gary Roberts

Career:

Shanahan
Neely