Rank the 5 Worst D Men to Play for the Flyers since Cup Final

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Since the end of the 09-10 season who are the worst D men to suit up in orange and black? Take contracts and term into account.
Give insight if you feel the need.

Last edited:

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Since the end of the 09-10 season who are the worst D men to suit up in orange and black?
Give insight if you feel the need.

Tough to give just 5...

Lukas Krajicek
Matt Walker
Pavel Kubina
Nick Boynton?
Kurtis Foster
Andreas Lilja

Edit: Didn't see the poll at first

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Manning, Lilja, Foster, Gervais, Colaiacovo

Grossmann was close to getting a vote from me because of his $3.5 million cap hit. He was a warrior at the very least though so I gave him a pass.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
What I know/remember:

Marc-Andre Bourdon - was promising before injuries. More of a tweener. Had some games that put some hope in the breast for his career.
Carlo Colaiacovo - okay NHLer for a bit.
Matt Carle - Good for a time here. Turned out not to be Ryan Suter. Left for TB-- seems the Flyers dragged their feet a bit getting him signed due to other contracts and wanted to figure out some things -- so he left.
Kurtis Foster - Forgettable if not for that huge shot! I met Meltzer the day of this trade.
Bruno Gervais - More of a tweener by the time he got here. Bromance with Talbot.
Nicklas Grossmann - Solid backend guy, got a little banged up. Took unnecessary dislike here at times. Goalies like him. Blocked shots. Couldn't beat him on the outside. Good person.
Erik Gustafsson - Good skill, had some limitations that kept him off the ice.
Andreas Lilja - Serviceableish for a brief sliver time -- really was at end of career. Era had moved on.
Andrew MacDonald - Retreats from the blueline like it is an executioners block. Belongs further down the lineup. Contract and struggles really boned him. Even sent down.
Brandon Manning - HFposter. Stands up for teammates. Works hard. If skill doesn't jump, more of a callup/press box, but D prospects will shove him out of a role.
Andrej Meszaros - Had some SOLID seasons -- then became a liability over time. Near the end, I hated the way he played. Frustrating and his contract made it worse.
Evgeny Medvedev - Partied hard with this guy. Too hard. Good skill, but couldn't get comfortable "enough" for the coaching staff.
Sean O'Donnell - Brought in to make Pronger happy? Had some decent games, near the end of his career when brought in, changing era, was really cringe-worthy near the end. Stand up dude.
Luke Schenn - Hype hurt him. JVR hurt him. Needs a good defensive role on the backend. Good outlet pass, otherwise get the puck away from him immediately.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I hate using the term worst. These guys are what they are.. still pros, some had good careers but were well into their decline / twilight.

Went:

Foster - wasn't really ever anything for the team.
Gervais - I mean, ok. Brief and meh.
Lilja - was spent.
SOD - same.
Manning - The posts about this guy.. polarizing.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Bourdon, Gustafsson does not belong on this list.

Meszaros was excellent for season or 2 but yeah, the way he ended his tenure with Flyers.... that was terrible.

MacDonald is not as bad defenseman as some people here are trying to make him look like. He's just vastly overpaid.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I actually liked MAB. I think he could have been a Gudas like player if not for the concussions that derailed his career.

Parent & Krajicek were awful but just miss the cut with the timeline set.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I hate using the term worst. These guys are what they are.. still pros, some had good careers but were well into their decline / twilight.

Went:

Foster - wasn't really ever anything for the team.
Gervais - I mean, ok. Brief and meh.
Lilja - was spent.
SOD - same.
Manning - The posts about this guy.. polarizing.

These are the guys I went with. I'd have switched out Gervais or O'Donnell for Gill.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I had to vote Matt Carle. Probably a bit biased (or a lot), but I hated him as much as Randy Jones.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
What I know/remember:

Marc-Andre Bourdon - was promising before injuries. More of a tweener. Had some games that put some hope in the breast for his career.
Carlo Colaiacovo - okay NHLer for a bit.
Matt Carle - Good for a time here. Turned out not to be Ryan Suter. Left for TB-- seems the Flyers dragged their feet a bit getting him signed due to other contracts and wanted to figure out some things -- so he left.
Kurtis Foster - Forgettable if not for that huge shot! I met Meltzer the day of this trade.
Bruno Gervais - More of a tweener by the time he got here. Bromance with Talbot.
Nicklas Grossmann - Solid backend guy, got a little banged up. Took unnecessary dislike here at times. Goalies like him. Blocked shots. Couldn't beat him on the outside. Good person.
Erik Gustafsson - Good skill, had some limitations that kept him off the ice.
Andreas Lilja - Serviceableish for a brief sliver time -- really was at end of career. Era had moved on.
Andrew MacDonald - Retreats from the blueline like it is an executioners block. Belongs further down the lineup. Contract and struggles really boned him. Even sent down.
Brandon Manning - HFposter. Stands up for teammates. Works hard. If skill doesn't jump, more of a callup/press box, but D prospects will shove him out of a role.
Andrej Meszaros - Had some SOLID seasons -- then became a liability over time. Near the end, I hated the way he played. Frustrating and his contract made it worse.
Evgeny Medvedev - Partied hard with this guy. Too hard. Good skill, but couldn't get comfortable "enough" for the coaching staff.
Sean O'Donnell - Brought in to make Pronger happy? Had some decent games, near the end of his career when brought in, changing era, was really cringe-worthy near the end. Stand up dude.
Luke Schenn - Hype hurt him. JVR hurt him. Needs a good defensive role on the backend. Good outlet pass, otherwise get the puck away from him immediately.

I agree almost to a T about these.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Felt bad voting for MAB since the injuries were so crushing, and so unfair.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Gladly be the first vote for Gustafsson. Not fair to Foster since who even remembers him? Threw O'Donnel, Gervais, Lilja, and Manning on there too.

People here are too kind to Gustafsson because of the things they wanted to see in him. OK puck mover, but absolutely terrible defenseman. Like, Manning bad, but smaller and more out of position.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Kubina
Foster
Lilja
O'Donnel

Easily the four worst

Also, Hal Gill isnt listed but I was scared when he was on the ice. Honestly believe if Gustafsson were there over him in the Rangers series we could have won.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Gervais, Lilja, Foster. Manning could contend for a spot, but as purely a young and cheap 7th D or call-up option I don't mind him. Problem is he gets played more than that.

Other three weren't home-grown and didn't have youth on their side. They all suck though.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Brandon Manning??? Are you all insane? He got better as the season went on and was on our top D pairing in the playoffs. His wipeout, thunderous hit on Tom Wilson was the single best play in the postseason.

Mark my words...when camp starts Hak will have Gudas/Manning paired together. His confidence level will be through the roof in training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad