Rank the 31 projected goalie tandems

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Bobrovsky has a sub .900 SV% in the playoffs for his career, not sure how anyone has him in their top 5...

he was also possibly the biggest individual reason last year why the jackets got into the playoffs in the first place. it's not like he was anything spectacular in the spring but i wouldn't give too much value on his playoffs performance against the eventual champions and a couple of first round exits years ago when measuring his talent

plus, korpisalo is a decent backup

Last edited:

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Buffalo's goaltending tandem is better than Vancouver, Arizona, Colorado, Carolina, Calgary (LMAO), Philadelphia, NYI, Detroit, Vegas, Winnipeg, St. Louis, Florida, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Dallas, LA, Toronto (LMAO), Edmonton, Boston, San Jose, and Ottawa

Can't tell if serious...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
it cant be, in terms of the leafs i would take Andersen of Lehner and johnson in net together at the same time

Lehner is better than Andersen though.

Buffalo should be around the middle to a little bit above in these rankings, they have a good starter with a top of the line backup. They're right around equal to Vegas with Fleury-Pickard IMO

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Devils are way to low on these lists, Cory is an established #1 who had a down year

And he's got Rollie Melanson back as his goalie coach. Schneider is probably going to be one of NJ's only strengths this year.

Also, although I see no reason not to put Vancouver's tandem at or near the bottom of the league right now, I think Markstrom gets underrated here based on his time with Florida and his first short stint with the Canucks. Melanson worked some wonders with him and so long as he gets to play regularly as a #1 or #1A goalie, I think he's going to do well... or, at least as well as possible considering the current state of the team.

Hawkey1967

Tim Horton
May 15, 2006
Lehner is better than Andersen though.

Buffalo should be around the middle to a little bit above in these rankings, they have a good starter with a top of the line backup. They're right around equal to Vegas with Fleury-Pickard IMO

I disagree. Not that it matters, we are all entitled to our own opinions.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Man people are severely under-rating the Avs in this debate. Varly if healthy is a top 12 goalie and Bernier is capable of being a low end starter as well. The Avs should be right around middle of the pack in terms of goalie tandems.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Everyone giving OP such a hard time for his list then lets see the rest of you make one so we can shred your list :shakehead

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Colorado at 29 is tremendously bad.

Bernier is a decent backup who knows the role well and will push Varlamov to be better.

And as for Varlamov, he was almost universally accepted as a Top 15 goalie in the league and borderline Top 10 before last year. A year where he played hurt every game he played in the season and then had to get a season ending surgery for said injury.

When he returns to form next year(And he will, as many other goalies have had the same surgery and came back just as good if not better), he'll be one of the better goalies in the league again, which will be made even more impressive by the fact he's gonna be playing on a bottom 3-5 team in the league.

Avs should be in the ~12-17 range. An average backup and above average starter.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
You say Lundqvist isn't top 3 anymore despite the playoffs, Rask isn't elite anymore and Saros is "ehhh"? what is going on

I appreciate the effort though, overall it's good and other things I'd potentially disagree with are very subjective

Lundqvist doesn't have the same consistency throughout the regular season that he was once had, but the playoffs showed he can still hang with the big boys like Price. Since Rask's Vezina 3 years ago, his numbers have been dropping, at first only a little, and now the last couple years, he's been around .915, well behind the elite. Rinne's numbers dropped quite a bit too, but he enjoyed a resurgence in the playoffs, proving he's still better than most of hf gives him credit for. Saros, considering he shared the backup job with Marek Mazanec, and in general doesn't seem like anything special? Yeah.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Oilers with Brossoit will be better than some think.

Remember Oilers had Gustavsson with Talbot last season where Gustavsson played in 7 games which was 7 games too many.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Lack will have more success with Calgary than Carolina. Better defenceman in front of him but also a bit better defensive team as a whole.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Greiss and Halak tandem should be in the top 15 or around that mark.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Saros, considering he shared the backup job with Marek Mazanec, and in general doesn't seem like anything special? Yeah.

That's not really accurate. Saros is viewed as the heir to Rinne, he started in Milwaukee to get more work, but Mazanec was so bad that halfway through the season he was replaced by Saros who played well. It's true that Saros was unspectacular in the playoffs, but that was when coming in cold in relief after not playing for two months.

This isn't to say that he's a sure thing, a guaranteed future #1, but that's certainly still the plan and your assessment is not in agreement with what actually happened.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Mike Smith isn't that bad. He was quite good last year on a really awful team. Might not be the best guy but he'll be average at worst, IMO

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
1. Nyr
2. Cbj
3. Wsh
4. Ana
5. Pit
6. Lak
7. Nsh
8. Bos
9. Dal
10. Edm
11. Ott
12. Tbl
13. Sjs
14. Mtl
15. Njd
16. Min
17. Fla
18. Stl
19. Vgk
20. Chi
21. Det
22. Col
23. Phi
24. Az
25. Tor
26. Nyi
27. Wpg
28. Cgy
29. Car
30. Buf
31. Van

Nuhahaha montreal middle of the pack? Please

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I have to think the Flyers are bottom 5.

The upside in Neuvirth/Elliott is low.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad