Rank the 1st OA post-lockout picks in terms of pre-draft hype

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Would be interested to go back in time and see which ones were considered slam dunks and which were considered duds.

I think it goes without saying Crosby is #1. #2 is one of Tavares or McDavid perhaps?

Anyway, interested in hearing your opinions.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Since Crosby.
  1. Crosby
  2. McDavid
  3. Tavares
  4. Dahlin
  5. Matthews
  6. Johnson
  7. Lafreniere
  8. Stamkos
  9. MacKinnon
  10. Hall
  11. Hughes
  12. Ekblad
  13. Kane
  14. RNH
  15. Yakupov
  16. Hischier
Several are interchangeable.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Since Crosby.
  1. Crosby
  2. McDavid
  3. Tavares
  4. Dahlin
  5. Matthews
  6. Johnson
  7. Lafreniere
  8. Stamkos
  9. MacKinnon
  10. Hall
  11. Hughes
  12. Ekblad
  13. Kane
  14. RNH
  15. Yakupov
  16. Hischier
Several are interchangeable.
Ekblad had way more hype than that. So did Pat Kane. Nugent Hopkins had barely any hype. Yakupov was more hyped than Nugent Hopkins.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I don't remember Kane or Johnson, so I'll exclude them.

1) Crosby
2) McDavid -- People were saying he had GOAT potential
3) Dahlin -- People were calling him the best defenseman to ever be available in an entry draft
4) Stamkos -- Widely thought of as a special talent
5) Tavares -- Widely thought of as a special talent, but I remember people saying he wasn't as good as Stamkos
6) Matthews -- Considered a true franchise lock with a rare combo of tools
7) Hall -- Just considered to be a really good winger
8) MacKinnon -- Considered to be franchise changing, but wasn't considered as good as Jones
9) Ekblad -- Was projected to be a 1D but not necessarily elite
10) Yakupov -- Was considered to be a dynamic, sniping winger but with a lot of problems to work out
11) Hughes -- Was considered to be a really good forward, but there were A LOT of questions about him
12) LaFreniere -- He had a major fall from grace. When he entered the Q, people were calling him generational
13) Nugent-Hopkins -- Projected as a 1C who probably was going to need another year in major juniors
14) Hischier -- His ceiling was seen as a 1bC in the NHL

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Crosby
McDavid
Dahlin
Tavares/Stamkos
Matthews/RNH/MacKinnon/Hall/Yakupov/Lafreniere
Ekblad/Hischier/Hughes/Kane/Johnson

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Ekblad had way more hype than that. So did Pat Kane. Nugent Hopkins had barely any hype. Yakupov was more hyped than Nugent Hopkins.

Ekblad wasn't the consensus number one pick that year. The Hockey News had the Big 4 and I seem to remember they had a big write up on Leon Draisaitl.

this-week-in-the-hockey-news-magazine-draft-preview-2014.jpg

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
McDavid had much more hype than Tavares in their draft years. The Tavares hype really died down during his junior career.
His 15/16 year old seasons in Junior actually catapulted him to Crosby territory. He just failed to grow at 17/18. Still very highly hyped though, but yeah not like McDavid

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Ekblad wasn't the consensus number one pick that year. The Hockey News had the Big 4 and I seem to remember they had a big write up on Leon Draisaitl.

this-week-in-the-hockey-news-magazine-draft-preview-2014.jpg
One of these guys is not like the others...

Edit: I thought Bennett was still a 3rd line Level Player. I just realized how wrong I am.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I remember hearing/reading about McDavid during the lockout in 2012, 3 years before his draft day. Crosby I first heard about sometime before the 2004/05 lockout, and iirc it was ESPN where I learned about him.

Those two are by far the most hyped prospects I can remember.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
I don't remember Kane or Johnson, so I'll exclude them.

1) Crosby
2) McDavid -- People were saying he had GOAT potential
3) Dahlin -- People were calling him the best defenseman to ever be available in an entry draft
4) Stamkos -- Widely thought of as a special talent
5) Tavares -- Widely thought of as a special talent, but I remember people saying he wasn't as good as Stamkos
6) Matthews -- Considered a true franchise lock with a rare combo of tools
7) Hall -- Just considered to be a really good winger
8) MacKinnon -- Considered to be franchise changing, but wasn't considered as good as Jones
9) Ekblad -- Was projected to be a 1D but not necessarily elite
10) Yakupov -- Was considered to be a dynamic, sniping winger but with a lot of problems to work out
11) Hughes -- Was considered to be a really good forward, but there were A LOT of questions about him
12) LaFreniere -- He had a major fall from grace. When he entered the Q, people were calling him generational
13) Nugent-Hopkins -- Projected as a 1C who probably was going to need another year in major juniors
14) Hischier -- His ceiling was seen as a 1bC in the NHL
Lafrenierre didn’t have a fall from grace in the Q lol. He was 2 time chl player of the year

TheHelmet

Feb 10, 2021
Pat Laftonaines Trophy Room
I remember that trade that Vancouver presented at the draft to florida.

It was two picks in the 1st, and their top prospect.
they were going to move up to take Reinhart

Bob Mckenzie and Dreger reported on that one.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Hall is absolutely dead last in this. The divide between him and Seguin for first overall was unlike anything like it since 2006 for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad