Rank Swedish NHL breakthru players 2017-18

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Newcomers, breakthru players or simply becoming better by some standard.

Coming of a succesful SHL season Oskar Lindblom follows a path that includes 25 points in 26 WJC18-20 games. Good size for NHL too. Almost spoken of as a WC player last spring. A new Rakell?

Gustav Forsling, another player born 96 with credentials from WJC. This one a defender who scored 16 points in 20 WJC games. Not as big as Lindblom but maybe will Linköping and Chicago be his only destinations in life...

Anton Rödin
, 26, is on his second NHL-AHL stint now. The difference now is that his last SEL season was a one ppg season. The first time (Chicago Wolves) he probably wasn't ready. Improvements have been done for each season lately and he should be in a much better position now, if he is free from that last injury. But the competition in Vancouver is tough now. Olympic player or NHL player?

If Alexander Nylander breaks thru now the family atmosphere will remain unaltered. Muscles a the sime age as William is a good sign. Sometimes you get the feeling that points come to ALEX, not the other way around, that he creates them... Probably a good sign he might be an asset on one of Buffalo's top lines.

Oskar Sundqvist is already welcomed to the Blues and will fit in nicely on a line behind Berglund and maybe with Pääjärvi on his side and Gunnarsson shouting defense orders. With Steen all cool swedish guys!

* = mentioned below in this thread (or one of my five)

André Burakovsky ***
Fredrik Claesson ***
Alexander Nylander **
Elias Lindholm **
William Nylander **
Joel Eriksson Ek *
Oskar Lindblom *
Gustav Forsling *
Anton Rödin *
Oskar Sundqvist *
Tim Heed *
Anton Forsberg *
Calle Rosén *
Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson *
Andreas Johnsson *
William Karlsson *
Oscar Lindberg *
Linus Ullmark
Jacob Larsson
Adrian Kempe
Rasmus Andersson
Jacob de la Rose
Patrik Nemeth
Gabriel Carlsson
Christian Djoos
Sebastian Aho
Oscar Dansk
Andreas Borgman
Axel Holmström
Marcus Högberg
Tim Söderlund
Filip Sandberg
Philip Holm
Lias Andersson
Emil Pettersson
Andreas Englund
Lucas Wallmark
Dmytro Timashov
Robert Hägg

Last edited:

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I would say there is around a 50% chance Andre Burakovsky goes god mode and scores 25-35 goals next year. I am a fan of his.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Eriksson Ek is going to have a good chance to be the Wild's 3C, probably with with Parise and one of Kunin/Ennis/Foligno.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
Alexander Nylander should show some promise. Assuming he gets quality ice time.

I suspect William Karlsson and Oscar Lindberg to get good minutes in Vegas and could see both establishing themselves as very solid two-way 2nd/3rd line players

Elias Lindholm is a safe bet for good improvement.

I see Eriksson-Ek struggling a bit in his rookie year. He will be a quality player in the future though.

Sleeper is Anton Forsberg. If Crawford gets injured or struggles I think Forsberg has the ability to show he can play the NHL level

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Freddy Claesson seems set to start the season on a pairing with fellow Swede Erik Karlsson. In their short time together this past year, they looked great and both have made it known that they seem to enjoy playing with one another.

If this happens to be the case next year and they do play a good chunk of the year together, I suspect Claesson to have a real nice year in what should be his first full season!

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Burakovsky will be hit around 25+35. Lindholm around 20+45. JFK will be a solid 30-point 3rd liner.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I would say there is around a 50% chance Andre Burakovsky goes god mode and scores 25-35 goals next year. I am a fan of his.

I had no idea Burakovsky was even Swedish. Thought he was Russian this whole time (I'm sure his roots are Russian though).

For the Leafs, Andreas Johnsson is probably NHL ready though he has multiple players to compete with for few spots (Soshnikov, Leivo, Rychel, Aaltonen, etc), while Calle Rosen may also be ready for bottom pairing duty.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
William Nylander already sort of broke out, but I expect him to become a star level player this season. He had a rough first half of the season for us. Babcock was really working him hard to get better (was on our shutdown line for awhile). He was our best player in the second (outside of Andersen maybe). Was great down the stretch and was very good in the playoffs.. Then he was amazing at the World Champs. I don't see how he doesn't score 30 goals this year. Playing with Matthews should get him a lot of assists as well. 30+40 is my guess but I could see him going even higher depending on how much better Matthews gets.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
William Nylander already sort of broke out, but I expect him to become a star level player this season. He had a rough first half of the season for us. Babcock was really working him hard to get better (was on our shutdown line for awhile). He was our best player in the second (outside of Andersen maybe). Was great down the stretch and was very good in the playoffs.. Then he was amazing at the World Champs. I don't see how he doesn't score 30 goals this year. Playing with Matthews should get him a lot of assists as well. 30+40 is my guess but I could see him going even higher depending on how much better Matthews gets.

+1 to this.

William Nylander broke out in February of last season and started lighting teams up. He scored at a crazy pace in February and March, 4 points in his first 6 playoff games, being an absolute force. Than won the MVP at the world championships after that.

Crazy claim that I'm quite certain on:
William Nylander will finish the season at a near PPG pace, something around 75-80 points.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Tim Heed. PPG in the AHL as a defenseman. Sharks just so happen to have a RD spot open now with Schlemko gone.

Expect him to take a big role.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Liljegren?

I tried to include players in the list above that will be in place in NA when the season starts. So, don't lose hope!

Tim will play for Rögle in the SEL. The town is called Ängelholm, has 27500 inhabitants in the southwest of Sweden, pretty much as big as Dodge City in Kansas, but with the car brand Koenigsegg instead of Fords. It's also famous for mudbirds that makes sound when you blow air into them. They come alive so to speak. Kenny Jönsson rules (or ruled) this part of the world.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I think Borgman will surprise, at least I hope. SHL rookie of the year, not sure if he makes the Leafs out of camp but he's got a chance. I only mention him because he's a complete wild card that most here know nothing about.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
I just hope Sebastian Aho establishes himself as an NHL player for all the confusion it would cause, especially among casual fans.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Eriksson Ek has a 3C spot ready for him. I expect he'll play the whole season with the Wild.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Sebastian Aho isn't a Swede, you filthy Hurrians!

There is one...smiling in his yellow and blue Team Sweden game jersey! :)

The finn is four centimeters longer and the swede is two kilograms heavier. The finn is "supersmart" according to EP. Swedish Aho is "mobile with tremendous hockey sense" and has an "exceptional way of reading the game". Likes to carry the puck "with confidence" as well. I think the swede can quite easily shadow finnish Aho. Battle of the brains? Chess?

Next Carolina - Islanders game?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad