Rank our off season aquisitions

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Fischer will be all but locked in to a 4th-line role. Fabbri, when healthy, will be locked into the top-9. Sprong and Kostin will be more in a position of fighting for a roster spot, and I expect both to be prime candidates as healthy scratches on the rare occassion we have 13 healthy forwards.

DeBrincat - I'm here for it
Compher - I'm ok with a Copp-clone, but mainly it's the center depth he provides that I like
Ghost - Not my type of player but he fills an important offensive hole in the lineup
Fischer - I suspect this guy is going to be very easy to root for given his style imo
Holl - My personal jury is out; I'm aware of the reputation, willing to take a wait-and-see approach though
Kostin - Interesting upside, and when Stevie is hot on a guy I'm at least intrigued
Sprong - Meh
I was told elsewhere on this board that contracts matter with regards to guaranteed usage.

Why is the $1.1M guy "locked in" but the $2M guys are fighting for a roster spot?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I was told elsewhere on this board that contracts matter with regards to guaranteed usage.

Why is the $1.1M guy "locked in" but the $2M guys are fighting for a roster spot?

Other than Raymond and Seider, nobody else making $2M or less is a lock for anything.

A case could be made for playing any individual player (those under $2M), the decision will probably be made on a game by game basis depending on opponent matchups and line chemistry.

I'm expecting a lot of blender action at least until Thanksgiving.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

Speaking only for myself, I think contracts that take up 8-10% of your cap space go a long way in determining usage. I think contracts between league minimum and, oh, say, $2M are mostly irrelevant when it comes to determining usage.

My expectations with Fischer have more to do with his play style and the fact that his history shows he's more trusted by coaches than Sprong (because of his style) and Kostin (still developing). I expect him to be a staple on the 4th line, but expectations aren't guarantees.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Speaking only for myself, I think contracts that take up 8-10% of your cap space go a long way in determining usage. I think contracts between league minimum and, oh, say, $2M are mostly irrelevant when it comes to determining usage.
So Fischer must just have the world's worst agent then?

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
So Fischer must just have the world's worst agent then?
If players were deployed strictly based on their contract AAVs, you'd have a much different looking NHL.

Offense gets you paid. Sprong put up points last season. Fischer is maybe more "replaceable," traditionally speaking, but that doesn't mean he's less valuable on the ice during a game.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
the Coyotes must be a pretty incredible team to not be interested in bringing back such a valuable and trusted guy at close to league minimum

Reactions: norrisnick

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
the Coyotes must be a pretty incredible team to not be interested in bringing back such a valuable and trusted guy at close to league minimum

Or maybe he didn't want to sign with a team that is going nowhere in the standings that is also in arena limbo?

Maybe Fischer wanted to sign for Detroit because the wings made a good sales pitch and are on the upswing?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Or maybe he didn't want to sign with a team that is going nowhere in the standings that is also in arena limbo?

Maybe Fischer wanted to sign for Detroit because the wings made a good sales pitch and are on the upswing?

he was an RFA that the Wings were only able to sign because Arizona didn't qualify him though

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Incredible players don't play on the 4th line.

We're talking about bottom-of-the-barrel players here, in Fischer, Kostin, and Sprong. None of them are incredible, none of them were wanted by their previous teams, and all of them are relatively replaceable. So I don't think it's out of bounds to say one will be preferred over the other in terms of usage.

Again, Fischer fits that mold of a trustworthy, hard-to-play-against, high-floor 4th-liner. Kostin may reach a similar status in terms of reliability, and maybe even quickly, but looking at last season's usage, I'd still give the nod to Fischer at least to start. Sprong is a one-dimensional offensive guy who will be sheltered. Him and Kostin maybe have the upside of being 3rd-line regulars if everything clicks, but if they struggle they will be easy scratches. I don't think you have to worry about Fischer as much in that respect.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
he was an RFA that the Wings were only able to sign because Arizona didn't qualify him though

Well, he had to make roster space for Galchenyuk, lol.

Seriously though, it's more of a case of having too many players of the same mold. As bad as the Wings were at scoring, Arizona was even worse.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

I forgot that he was originally RFA. There's more about it from the hockeynews. Fischer not being qualified was a shocker.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/arizo...y-not-receiving-qualifying-offer-from-coyotes

Arizona didn't sign him because they feared arbitration. Sounds more like Arizona cheaped out. Surprise surprise.

Arizona Coyotes Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Their team defense costs 7.6 mil. They have more in LTIR Shea Weber than their actual f***ing team defense.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don’t think they are guaranteed to play 70-80 games or play a lot of minutes, but I do think the fact that they chose to add Kostin and Fischer when we already had a good amount of forwards under contract says something.

I think those are 2 guys that play how you would want 4th liners to as opposed to the spare parts 4th line we have deployed too often in recent years.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Lalonde asked for more guys like that. Just speculating though.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
A good fourth line is like a good guitar solo. Gives the rest of the players to catch their breath, and the opposing team to lose theirs.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Ignoring contracts

1. DeBrincat - This one explains itself. We needed a goal scorer and we got one.
2. Ghost - Think he'll help the PP a lot.
3. Kostin - Just like what he brings from a physicality stand point. Might pot 10-15 goals too.
4. Compher - I don't like his contract, but I think we get similar production to Copp, maybe slightly more.
5. Sprong - Don't think he replicates what he did last year, but still a good player.
6. Holl - Leafs fans have me scared, and I think we over paid him, but he's definitely an upgrade of Hagg/JO/Lindstrom as our 6D.
7./8./9. - Fischer and Reimer/Lyon - These are just all meh depth pieces.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'd say the drums. My opinion.

Aren't drummers the weirdest members of the band? And sit in the back behind the band?

Hmmm.

1690342927068.png

• Haha
Reactions: odin1981

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad