Rank our off season aquisitions

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Sorry for yet another ranking-thread, but in the spirit of boredom and a lack of hockey, what can you do?

We've got more than a handful of new players in Debrincat, Kostin, Fischer, Holl, Ghost, Sprong, Compher. But how would you rank them?

1. Debrincat
Proven scorer will help our anemic offense greatly. Had to give up a little to get him, but what we gave up are several years away of coming into fruition. I would maybe have liked a longer contract, but the cap hit is great where it is.

2. Fischer
I don't get why some people are scratching him in their lineup projections. He is going to be a great roleplayer for us. Important on the PK, and will give other players more time in offensive situations. Cost efficient.

3. Sprong
Another short term deal. Guy can move the puck and has a good shot. Will probably play in the bottom 6, but will also see some PP2 time. Decent signing, short term.

4. Ghost
Didn't like this signing at first, but should be a decent short term replacement for Hronek. Will be nice to have someone to shoot from the blueline on the PP. I think he will be on PP1.

5. Kostin
Decent player that can play up and down the lineup, but will probably feature mostly in the bottom 6. It is a no risk signing.

6. Holl
Not too excited about this one, but I don't think he is as bad as some think. Not too long a contract. We are weak on RD, so his help will be much needed. Should be a decent upgrade from Lindstrom.

7. Compher
Would rank higher with a shorter contract. Right handed center that can kill penalties is very much needed. Coming off a career year, and the production last year seems to be an exception to the norm.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Not counting the 2023 draft:

1. DeBrincat
2. Kostin
3. Compher (wish it was 1 year less)
4. Sprong (wish it was 1-2 years more)
5. Gostisbehere
6. Fischer
7. Holl

Reactions: Hoog

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
1. Cat - need offense, best offensive acquisition of any team this offseason
2. Ghostbear - need offense, powerplay quarterback, can play right side, unfortunately short term
3. Sprong - need offense, low cost/high reward, wish it was a few years but Sprong likely wanted 1
4. Compher - best player we signed out of free agency, but maybe redundant for the contract terms
5. Kostin - pure speculation and hope. likely bottom line muscle and a tiny bit of depth scoring
6. Holl - RHD was obviously a need, probably better than internet says, not the best contract
7. Fischer - "now here's a guy"

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I like the Debrincat and Kostin adds. Hate the Holl add, as wells as legit don't think Compher is anything more than a 35 pt player that he has been to date minus last season when he played with Rantanen a player we have nothing close to, so not a fan of him getting 5 years instead of 3 years. Sprong seems like he was added to me in case we didn't get DeBrincat, and I wonder how much leash he will actually have with Lalonde. Kubalik quite quickly seemed to lose favour, and I think Sprong will have an even shorter leash. Ghost is meh, as is Fischer as I don't think either player moves the needle much in any direction.

Reactions: norrisnick

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think

- Debrincat is a great addition in so many ways beyond just play on the ice
- Compher is going to help settle us a bit down the middle till Kasper and Danielson take over. I think 45 pts consistently is achievable
- Ghost is a 1 year deal and will put up 35 to 40pts.. good add.. easily sellable at TDL for a 2nd or 3rd
- Kostin is young with some room to improve, either way, makes us tougher to play against so I like this move
- Sprong may chip in for 25 to 30pts, depth option mostly, sellable at TDL
- Holl hopefully just plays reliable defence, doesn't try to do anything more, reserving judgement till year 2 of his deal
- the goalies are meh

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Context: we were 24th in goals scored, 23rd in goals against. 21.1% power play and 78.3% PK. We need help scoring goals and preventing goals from being scored against us.

1. Debrincat
Pretty obviously the addition that should have the biggest impact. Easily a 20 goal guy, could hit 30. Recent Cup winners rarely have 40 goal guys, so we don't need him to replicate what he's done in the past with regard to 40 goals. ~30 is perfectly fine.

2. Gostisbehere
He should help us get plenty of easy points/goals on the power play. We should improve on our 21.1% PP success rate. I like the short term and if it works out we can extend him. If not, he will be a valuable trade piece.

3. Compher
We badly needed help at center and center men do not come cheap. Will not prevent Kasper or Danielson from taking a top 3 center role in Detroit. Should immediately improve goals against.

4. Fischer
Our PK is a horrid 78.3% so having a guy like Fischer is a nice addition. Gives us depth with guys who are solid NHL'ers until the kids are ready to take over.

5. Holl
Our PK is dog s**t and Holl can log lots of mins on the PK. The biggest concern is whether he is given too many minutes like what happened with Chiarot, so hopefully Simon can make the team fairly early on in the season and Gostisbehere can lock down that Hronek spot so we can limit Holl to easier matchups. If that happens there will be very little to complain about.

6. Sprong
Right handed shot capable of 10-15 goals and contributing on the power play. Feels more like a role player given how much he has bounced around the league. Provides much needed scoring depth at a bare minimum.

7. Kostin
Seems like a depth addition, not much in the way of scoring. Has good size and may be a plus contributor on a checking line.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Instead of by number I'll try by grade.

Alex DeBrincat: A
This move is what Detroit absolutely needed above all else as DeBrincat is the most talented winger Detroit will have on their roster since Marian Hossa. He gives them a legit offensive threat, is young enough to be in the core, and comes at a great cap hit for a player of his pedigree.

Daniel Sprong: A-
After trading Kubalik (For DeBrincat) Sprong can seamlessly slide into his roster role as a sniper that can move up and down the lineup. His goals and points per 60 are an improvement on his predecessor, and he's on a VERY team friendly contract for one year.

Shayne Gostisbehere: B+
This also fills a definite team need at right defense and arguably upgrades the puck moving ability lost by Hronek at a lower cost. There have always been questions about Ghost's defensive prowess, but with the right partner and the team improving their defensive system that should be mitigated somewhat.

JT Compher: B+
Speaking of defensive prowess, Compher brings this in spades. He won't score a ton of goals but is arguably an upgrade to Andrew Copp in all areas, has a very high work rate and can handle the tough matchups. Compher is the kind of depth signing that doesn't look sexy on paper but will help this team win more games.

Klim Kostin: B
Hey! We got another former Blues player! For the small price of a Kailer Yamamoto buyout, Kostin brings an upgrade to the bottom 6 and plays with plenty of physicality. At worst he's a physical 4th liner on a short deal but there may be more offense to his game. Klim could become a fan favorite in Detroit.

Christian Fischer: B-
Similar to Kostin, Fischer brings a physical game to the bottom 6. Fischer also excels on the penalty kill and can provide some offensive punch, scoring 10 or more goals in each season he played 70 or more games.

Alex Lyon: C+
At first I wasn't a big fan of this move when Lyon was signed because of who else was on the market. However, Lyon did perform admirably down the stretch for the Panthers and helped them secure a wildcard spot. Detroit could have done worse for a Magnus Hellberg replacement.

Justin Holl: C
This is another move that isn't really sexy on paper, and Holl did receive a lot of flak from Toronto fans over the years (mostly undeserved). Detroit fans are expecting he'll be on a shutdown pair with Chiarot or Maatta, and despite his detractors Holl is a clear upgrade on last season's bottom pair right defense. Holl won't produce a ton of points but will get in the way of plenty of shots.

Reimer: D-
I usually have more to say, but I think the less that's said about Reimer the better. Let's hope for the sake of Detroit fans that Reimer doesn't repeat his 22-23 performance with the Sharks.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
"strong positive" tier

Debrincat: #1 here for obvious reasons, the only negative is i'm still not crazy about the contract being only 4 years

"positive" tier

Gostisbehere: fits an obvious need with Hronek gone and at a very reasonable cost, i'd have preferred 2-3 years to 1 though

Sprong: solid depth goalscoring signing, put up 21 goals in Seattle last year playing 11 minutes a night. just a bit of a shame it's only 1 year but whatever

Kostin: should if nothing else be a solid depth guy that brings some of that grit people are always clamoring for to the bottom of the lineup, he just turned 24 a couple months ago so he's also young enough that he could still potentially develop more and be a middle of the lineup guy

"neutral" tier

Holl: meh, unexciting depth signing that won't do a ton but isn't expensive or long enough to really be an issue

Fischer: boring signing that won't really do anything and the Coyotes didn't even want to qualify but also only 1 year so will only be an issue if the Wings make it one

"negative" tier

Compher: dumb signing, at some point when you have enough of the same kinda guy you're just blocking prospects like Kasper for the hell of it and it's a 5 year deal so he isn't going away anytime soon

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Sorry for yet another ranking-thread, but in the spirit of boredom and a lack of hockey, what can you do?

We've got more than a handful of new players in Debrincat, Kostin, Fischer, Holl, Ghost, Sprong, Compher. But how would you rank them?

1. Debrincat
Proven scorer will help our anemic offense greatly. Had to give up a little to get him, but what we gave up are several years away of coming into fruition. I would maybe have liked a longer contract, but the cap hit is great where it is.

2. Fischer
I don't get why some people are scratching him in their lineup projections. He is going to be a great roleplayer for us. Important on the PK, and will give other players more time in offensive situations. Cost efficient.

3. Sprong
Another short term deal. Guy can move the puck and has a good shot. Will probably play in the bottom 6, but will also see some PP2 time. Decent signing, short term.

4. Ghost
Didn't like this signing at first, but should be a decent short term replacement for Hronek. Will be nice to have someone to shoot from the blueline on the PP. I think he will be on PP1.

5. Kostin
Decent player that can play up and down the lineup, but will probably feature mostly in the bottom 6. It is a no risk signing.

6. Holl
Not too excited about this one, but I don't think he is as bad as some think. Not too long a contract. We are weak on RD, so his help will be much needed. Should be a decent upgrade from Lindstrom.

7. Compher
Would rank higher with a shorter contract. Right handed center that can kill penalties is very much needed. Coming off a career year, and the production last year seems to be an exception to the norm.
I don't disagree, but who are you taking out of the lineup for him?

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I don't disagree, but who are you taking out of the lineup for him?
I think I would take Fabbri, Sprong or Kostin out if everyone is healthy, but that's pretty rare.

I liked them all, but Reimer felt like some unneeded extra. Lyon was good goalie hire.
I have tried to forget that signing, and was successful until now

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I think I would take Fabbri, Sprong or Kostin out if everyone is healthy, but that's pretty rare.

I have tried to forget that signing, and was successful until now
Interesting because Sprong and Kostin are definitely better than fischer. I can understand Fabbri but when he is playing, he is always noticeable in a good way, just injured all the time.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Interesting because Sprong and Kostin are definitely better than fischer. I can understand Fabbri but when he is playing, he is always noticeable in a good way, just injured all the time.
Yeah, it is not that I don't agree that they are better players, but Sprong and Fabbri aren't suitable for 4th line minutes. Kostin is though, and will probably get some games down there.

My thoughts are that, with Fischer in the lineup, we get a guy who can play that role, and can also be on the PK, so our guys that can score can get more minutes in offensive situations.

I think we had a handfull of games last season with no injuries on forwards.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Yeah, it is not that I don't agree that they are better players, but Sprong and Fabbri aren't suitable for 4th line minutes. Kostin is though, and will probably get some games down there.

My thoughts are that, with Fischer in the lineup, we get a guy who can play that role, and can also be on the PK, so our guys that can score can get more minutes in offensive situations.

True, I would like sprong take top 6 minutes when he can to see what he really has in him with our other players, but Berggren needs to be with a shooter to be effective. If it was Berggren - Lark - debrincat, it would be insane the amount of points the potential is. But keeping him on the 3rd line would just be terrible for his ability.

Berggren - compher - raymond for the 2nd line works for me!

Reactions: RRhoads

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

I mean Sprong just played 4th line minutes last year in Seattle(less than 10 minutes a night at even strength and his most common linemates were Brandon Tanev and Morgan Geekie) and he still managed to put up more even strength goals than anyone on the Wings not named Larkin or Perron(and was tied with Larkin) and more even strength points than anyone on the Wings not named Larkin,Perron, or Copp

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
"strong positive" tier

Debrincat: #1 here for obvious reasons, the only negative is i'm still not crazy about the contract being only 4 years

"positive" tier

Gostisbehere: fits an obvious need with Hronek gone and at a very reasonable cost, i'd have preferred 2-3 years to 1 though

Sprong: solid depth goalscoring signing, put up 21 goals in Seattle last year playing 11 minutes a night. just a bit of a shame it's only 1 year but whatever

Kostin: should if nothing else be a solid depth guy that brings some of that grit people are always clamoring for to the bottom of the lineup, he just turned 24 a couple months ago so he's also young enough that he could still potentially develop more and be a middle of the lineup guy

"neutral" tier

Holl: meh, unexciting depth signing that won't do a ton but isn't expensive or long enough to really be an issue

Fischer: boring signing that won't really do anything and the Coyotes didn't even want to qualify but also only 1 year so will only be an issue if the Wings make it one

"negative" tier

Compher: dumb signing, at some point when you have enough of the same kinda guy you're just blocking prospects like Kasper for the hell of it and it's a 5 year deal so he isn't going away anytime soon
I think people forget Copp and Compher have also spent time on the wing in the NHL. Most expect centers to do this, but they can be vets that take draws on their strong side all night. It will be interesting to see if they put Copp with Danielson and Compher with Kasper. You have a heavy defensively sound guy that can be an effective forechecker. Both play well down low and in corners.

I think Copp is better with a full off-season. I am actually kind of excited to see the Ras - Copp - Perron line. They were a big part of the February streak before Ras goes down and we all had to watch the massacre in Ottawa.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
This is an interesting thread. A lot of agreement about number one and a variety of opinion on the rest. Here's mine:

Debrincant
Kostin
Ghost Bear
Lyon
Reimer
Compher
Sprong
Fischer
Holl

The Holl move confuses me. Compher I'm pretty luke-warm about. But both of these guys, I'm guessing the front office knows something about these guys that I can't find on the internet.

Lyon is intriguing and Reimer is insurance, I don't mind these at all. Reimer is a steady predictable very average backup goalie. Lyon has some upside, even though he's pretty old and hasn't played many NHL games -- maybe he's a late bloomer.

I've wanted Ghost Bear for a long time. I'm a little worried about his defense but I'm stoked AF, as the kids say, about some goal-scoring, not just assists, from the blue line.

Kostin is an almost perfect acquisition. We need to be tougher, and this kid (he's only 24) is tough as nails. He fought Patrick Maroon to a draw, and Maroon is a very competent fighter. And I can see some upside here where Kostin might surprise with his skill and end up on the third or maybe even second line.

And of course, Debrincat was a steal for what we paid in draft picks, players, salary, and term. He's short but he's powerful and he doesn't play small, he's the remorseless greedy goal scorer we've needed since we lost Franzen.

If we can get good (not great but not fair) goalie play, I think we might squeak into the playoffs with this group. Husso needs to play like I think he can play, he's the key. If he can get his save percentage up there to 0.915 or better we're in. If he's up there in the 0.920s that there's Vezna talk, we could go beyond the first round.

"'Keep hope alive! Keep hope alive.'
-- Jesse Jackson"
-- The Real Pastafarian

Reactions: Realgud

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I mean Sprong just played 4th line minutes last year in Seattle(less than 10 minutes a night at even strength and his most common linemates were Brandon Tanev and Morgan Geekie) and he still managed to put up more even strength goals than anyone on the Wings not named Larkin or Perron(and was tied with Larkin) and more even strength points than anyone on the Wings not named Larkin,Perron, or Copp

Yeah, Sprong has been a career 4th liner, even won a Cup as a 4th liner. People don't even realize he was healthy scratched last season. He' a good shooter from the circle, but a lot of his ES goals were due to cherry picking, bad goaltending, or lucky bounces. Judge for yourself:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think people forget Copp and Compher have also spent time on the wing in the NHL. Most expect centers to do this, but they can be vets that take draws on their strong side all night. It will be interesting to see if they put Copp with Danielson and Compher with Kasper. You have a heavy defensively sound guy that can be an effective forechecker. Both play well down low and in corners.

I think Copp is better with a full off-season. I am actually kind of excited to see the Ras - Copp - Perron line. They were a big part of the February streak before Ras goes down and we all had to watch the massacre in Ottawa.

I think Copp with a full off-season is better but ice time and usage will keep his points in the same 40ish range.

It’s not exactly apples to apples, but look at the late 90s to 2000s Detroit team where the Grind Line are 14-17 minutes some nights, and other nights Larionov as the 3C ate 14-17 minutes. That cut into Fedorov, Yzerman, Kozlov, and Shanahan’s numbers.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
DeBrincat
Ghost
Compher
Sprong

Don’t really care about anyone else that much.

I think Kostin and Fischer are solid depth adds that actually play like bottom 6 players and are physical. Maybe we will play our 4th line more often with guys who play like they do.

I’m decently concerned that Lyon/Reimer are incapable of playing well enough to be able to spell Husso to the level we want/need. I’m hoping Lyon surprises us.

Waiting to see Holl before I say it’s good or bad.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Aquisitions im happy with:
Debrincat
Ghost
Kostin
Sprong

Aquisitions i'm ok with:
Fischer
Compher

Aquisitions im unhappy with:
Holl

Debrincat is the top line forward this team desperately needs. Ghost is a good replacement for Hronek. Kostin and Sprong add good depth, you really can't go wrong with the contracts they got either.

Fischer and Compher, these signings are okay i guess. Nothing wrong with them, the more i think about the Compher and Copp signings the more they make sense though. With the cap looking to go up, these contracts wont look as bad when they're at the end. And they'll allow for Kasper and Danielson to take their time and develop, and when it's time Copp and Compher can move over to the wing and help with face-offs if needed.

After looking into Holl abit more i feel like it just doesn't make sense. I dunno, maybe they hope that he can bring some reliable presence on the PK? I guess we'll see.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Fischer will be all but locked in to a 4th-line role. Fabbri, when healthy, will be locked into the top-9. Sprong and Kostin will be more in a position of fighting for a roster spot, and I expect both to be prime candidates as healthy scratches on the rare occassion we have 13 healthy forwards.

DeBrincat - I'm here for it
Compher - I'm ok with a Copp-clone, but mainly it's the center depth he provides that I like
Ghost - Not my type of player but he fills an important offensive hole in the lineup
Fischer - I suspect this guy is going to be very easy to root for given his style
Holl - My personal jury is out; I'm aware of the reputation, willing to take a wait-and-see approach though
Kostin - Interesting upside, and when Stevie is hot on a guy I'm at least intrigued
Sprong - Meh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad