Line Combos: Rank OEL/Hughes as defensive pair

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Can anyone tell me why Burroughs isn't getting more consideration? I thought he added a much needed physical dimension (along with Schenn). I didn't see him make notable defensive mistakes.

So, offense from Hughes, OEL, and Rathbone (hopefully) and defense from Schenn, Burroughs and Dermot.

And a lot of size from Myers along with some reasonable puck skill and offense.

That is 7 defense that can be tailored to specific game situations. I would suggest that we could dress 7 defense and let Petey or Hogs or Podz or some other young player skate with the 4th line.

Clearly, Boudreau is an elite coach and capable of making eclectic and brilliant line adjustments.

Just saying....
Because, as things stand, he's being utilized as the team's 9th defenseman. If they don't retain Dekeyser, he moves to 8th. But I fully expect the team to be active in the waiver market.

Dermott being out probably works in his favor as well

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Can anyone tell me why Burroughs isn't getting more consideration? I thought he added a much needed physical dimension (along with Schenn). I didn't see him make notable defensive mistakes.

So, offense from Hughes, OEL, and Rathbone (hopefully) and defense from Schenn, Burroughs and Dermot.

And a lot of size from Myers along with some reasonable puck skill and offense.

That is 7 defense that can be tailored to specific game situations. I would suggest that we could dress 7 defense and let Petey or Hogs or Podz or some other young player skate with the 4th line.

Clearly, Boudreau is an elite coach and capable of making eclectic and brilliant line adjustments.

Just saying....
I also think there is a place for Burroughs in the side.

Edit: Is side a sports term Canadians use?

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Don't like it.

Keep OEL and Hughes separate so that both of our top pairings have at least one really good PMD. OEL's pairing takes on the tough match-ups which can free up Hughes. That's the whole point of why we brought in OEL. This thread is living proof that people still don't fully understand OEL's role on the team.

Hughes-????
OEL-Myers
Rathbone-Dermott / Rathbone-Schenn / Dermott-Schenn

Find the proper fit for Hughes. See if Rathbone + ??? gets your Cal Foote from Tampa. Play Hughes with Schenn while slowly giving more responsibilities to Foote and gradually start giving Foote more responsibilities until he's ready to be the Brent Seabrook to Hughes' Duncan Keith.

Hughes-Schenn (eventually Hughes-Foote)
OEL-Myers
Dermott-Foote (eventually Dermott-Schenn)

In an ideal world I don't disagree. But, we don't have this player right now, and I'm fairly certain that is not through a lack of trying. Eventually a deal will come along that makes sense, but I don't think it is horrible to experiment in this regard in the interim.

You're also basing your opinion on looking at the players we had last season. I am hopeful that we may get some progression out of Dermott, and if we do, he may thrive in a larger role. I guess we will have to wait and see. But in short, I understand why this scenario isn't ideal, but it may be a viable option considering our current situation.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
It will always be in the shadow of the mighty Dermott-Myers pairing.

In all seriousness though, I am sensing a lot of misreads so far early in this game.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm starting to feel similarly about Burroughs as I did about Biega, personally. Outside of prioritizing Rathbone's development ahead of him, he deserves to be the #6 guy right now, IMO.

Hughes - Schenn
Ekman Larsson - Myers
Rathbone - Burroughs (Dermott pushes one of these guys out)

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
I'm starting to feel similarly about Burroughs as I did about Biega, personally. Outside of prioritizing Rathbone's development ahead of him, he deserves to be the #6 guy right now, IMO.

Hughes - Schenn
Ekman Larsson - Myers
Rathbone - Burroughs (Dermott pushes one of these guys out)
I think our best possible lineup would be;

Hughes - Schenn
OEL - Myers
Dermott - Poolman
*Rathbone-Burroughs

Ideally a trade needs to happen for a top 4 defencemen to play with Hughes and Schenn moves to the 3rd pair.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I think the potential is there to be good but could also become a train wreck. When the Canucks have the puck will be fun but have a feeling, they will give up tons of odd man rushes against. Let's give it a try see what happens though fingers crossed.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think our best possible lineup would be;

Hughes - Schenn
OEL - Myers
Dermott - Poolman
*Rathbone-Burroughs

Ideally a trade needs to happen for a top 4 defencemen to play with Hughes and Schenn moves to the 3rd pair.
I disagree with Poolman being beneficial over Rathbone or Burroughs, personally. If the stars align, he's marginally better than them based on capability, but it's such an unlikely outcome/he's so inconsistent/regularly awful that it isn't worth bothering, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad