Line Combos: Rank OEL/Hughes as defensive pair

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
So if OEL and Hughes end up playing together, would it be fair to call them one of the strongest top units in the league? OEL is extremely tidy in his own end, as is Hughes. Hughes can obviously rack up the points, but OEL is capable too. This unit if it sticks, could do everything at a high level. I’ll say that they would be one of the leagues best.

Edit- ignoring contracts

Last edited:

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I think they would be an excellent pair, but would hurt our D overall
OEL-Hughes
Dermott-Myers
Rathbone/Burroughs-Shenn/Poolman

We would be good for 25 mins a game, but the other 35 could get real scary.

I think I'd rather go with:

Hughes-Schenn
OEL-Myers
Dermott-Shenn/Poolman
Rathbone

That way we know we have at least 1 quality D on the ice 45 mins a game.

I really believe we will bring in Stralman or PK Subban before the start of the season. I know I'm gonna some flack, but PK was decent defensively last season on a really bad defensive team, after a brutal couple of seasons. 13-14 mins a night in a sheltered role, I think he would be better than Poolman for sure.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I want to see them try it… It’s really the only way we can legitimately see if we have a top 4 defenseman in either of Dermott or Rathbone.

OEL-Hughes
Dermott-Myers
Rathbone-Schenn

I don’t think that seems that bad, but really it all hinges on how much Dermott progresses.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Don't like it.

Keep OEL and Hughes separate so that both of our top pairings have at least one really good PMD. OEL's pairing takes on the tough match-ups which can free up Hughes. That's the whole point of why we brought in OEL. This thread is living proof that people still don't fully understand OEL's role on the team.

Hughes-????
OEL-Myers
Rathbone-Dermott / Rathbone-Schenn / Dermott-Schenn

Find the proper fit for Hughes. See if Rathbone + ??? gets your Cal Foote from Tampa. Play Hughes with Schenn while slowly giving more responsibilities to Foote and gradually start giving Foote more responsibilities until he's ready to be the Brent Seabrook to Hughes' Duncan Keith.

Hughes-Schenn (eventually Hughes-Foote)
OEL-Myers
Dermott-Foote (eventually Dermott-Schenn)

Reactions: David71

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Curious what is a comp for OEL in his early PHX days? what was he expected to develop into, a prime Ohlund?

OEL's defensive acumen is pretty good now from the year I saw him play, but not what I expected from him tbh. If he sacrifices all his offense like what he did last year I can see the pairing being a top 16 one. Can he be a Hamhuis type guy adept at shutdown minutes, occasional physicality and 35 pts? If he can improve on last year, dare I say we have rehabbed his game to a point where he is worth his 7 mill contract for the next two years? before he likely drops off again.

IS that being optimistic after last year? because he was barely a top 4 guy when he was playing his way out of the desert.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Nope, sorry make OEL play his offside

Hughes is better and the transition god on this team
When he was injured the team looked night and day different.

Don’t make him take his passes on his backhand.

Reactions: mossey3535

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Assuming one of our top d-men can transition to a RHD and maintain his level of play or even improve upon, and then also that he will gel well with the other guy is a bit of a ‘Hail Mary’ scenario.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I would like to try the following if ekman larsson is going to try his offside

Hughes / schenn
Dermott / myers
Rathbone / OEL

You can shift around in game if need be but i like the support for rathbone. The only other support i would like him to have is schenn. So other option

Hughes / dermott or poolman
Oel / myers
Rathbone / schenn

Someone needs to play above their standard and a couple guys will need to shidt their focus to defensive zone primary - poolman and dermott

Reactions: MarkMM

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Aside from the fact that one will be playing "out of position," I think it has a chance of working.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Isn’t the question really: if you look at all the top 2 d-man from each team are ours the best - since we are ignoring handedness/position? So is Hughes-OEL really Better than, for example, Makar-Toews, Fox-Trouba, Hedman-Sergachev, Spurgeon- Brodin, Slavin/sjkei/pesche? Not so sure…

Huntcliff

Aug 14, 2009
Maybe a shift to start and end each period with them together, and split them for the rest so that at least one of them is on ice majority of time.

Reactions: Jimnastic

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Fantastic pairing, one of the best we have had since Edler-Ehrhoff

Also, don't do it. Would decimate the other pairs and make us too reliant on the top pair, ultimately likely giving them too many minutes for them to handle over an 82 game season. Just deal with Hughes/OEL/Rathbone being a great left side that needs to offset Myers/Poolman/Schenn/Dermott/Burroughs nonsense we have going n the right and be done with it

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
The team pretty clearly needs another defender, either through trade or signing Stralman. When Myers is your island of stability outside the top pairing, you're going to have a lot of periods giving up 2 or 3 goals.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think Quinn Hughes could play with a fire hydrant and still look good on the blueline. If there's one guy who can switch sides seamlessly, it's Hughes. His skating and edgework are just that elite.

I imagine Boudreau gives that pairing with OEL a lot of rope in the pre-season. If it were to succeed as a pairing then it opens the way for Rathbone to provide offense on another d-pairing.

Imagine a Canuck team with two dangerous scorers on the back-end? Can't remember a scenario like that, even in the glory days. Edler and Erhoff would be about the only comparison, and neither guy really had the offensive chops of Hughes and Rathbone.

Reactions: Jimnastic

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
Can anyone tell me why Burroughs isn't getting more consideration? I thought he added a much needed physical dimension (along with Schenn). I didn't see him make notable defensive mistakes.

So, offense from Hughes, OEL, and Rathbone (hopefully) and defense from Schenn, Burroughs and Dermot.

And a lot of size from Myers along with some reasonable puck skill and offense.

That is 7 defense that can be tailored to specific game situations. I would suggest that we could dress 7 defense and let Petey or Hogs or Podz or some other young player skate with the 4th line.

Clearly, Boudreau is an elite coach and capable of making eclectic and brilliant line adjustments.

Just saying....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad