Rank G from 2003 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
As a follow up to my "Rank D from 2003 draft", I thought I would start a goalie thread as well. Almost 2 years after the draft: rank the GOALIES who were taken in the 2003 entry draft. I might have overlooked a few, so feel happy to squeeze some others into your lists. Below you find the players, including their original draft #.

M-A Fleury (#1)
Corey Crawford (#52)
Jim Howard (#64)
Ryan Munce (#82)
Konstantin Barulin (#84)
Jonathan Boutin (#96)
Teemu Lassila (#117)
Kevin Nastiuk (#126)
Patrick Ehelechner (#139)
David Tremblay (#140)
Mike Brown (#153)
Chris Beckford-Tseu (#159)
Christopher Heino-Lind (#177)
Chris Holt (#180)
Miroslav Kopriva (#187)
Rejean Beauchemin (#191)
Jason Smith (#197)
Andy Chiodo (#199 - re-entry)
Mike Brodeur (#211)
Gerald Coleman (#224)
Matt Zaba (#231)
Jeff Weber (#235)
Jaroslav Halak (#271)
Kevin Regan (#277)
Brian Elliot (#291)

Last edited:

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
Habs4ever said:
Christopher Heino-Lind for Montreal picked in sixth round 177th overall, both goaltenders drafted that year are looking promising for Montreal despite the low pick.
I missed a few on my first turn. There might still be a few missing, but I think I've covered most now.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
bobbyorr4ever said:
You'd have to expect Gerald Coleman & Rejean Beauchemin to move up significantly if draft was re-held now...

i'd say halak too

bruins4777*

this one is really hard cause of how goalies develop.
fleury
crawford
howard
lassila
beachumin
brown
chiodo
brodeur
nastiuk
ehlechner
regan
heino-lindbergh

thats all i feel comfortable for....i know fleury really well and brown ok, but outside of them i don't really know the goalies from the 03 draft as well as some others...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'd say Kevin Nastiuk and Chris Holt should be ranked higher. Both have been impressive from what I've seen. I could also see Patrick Ehelechner going higher as well. I can't say I've ever been that impressed with David Tremblay, but perhaps others think more highly of him. I didn't think he played all that well last year, but I only saw a handful of games during the season and memorial cup.

For the Habs, both Halak and Heino-Lindberg had good seasons but it's really hard to say how effective they will be. Halak seems to have done really well with a not so great Lewiston team, putting up decent numbers for the rookie. Heino-Lindberg put up great numbers in the tier-2 league, was near the top of the league in gaa and save % (2nd and 3rd off the top of my head) But he had a rough go of it at the wjc's.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
montreal said:
For the Habs, both Halak and Heino-Lindberg had good seasons but it's really hard to say how effective they will be. Halak seems to have done really well with a not so great Lewiston team, putting up decent numbers for the rookie. Heino-Lindberg put up great numbers in the tier-2 league, was near the top of the league in gaa and save % (2nd and 3rd off the top of my head) But he had a rough go of it at the wjc's.

Halak was also very dood at the WJC. He was clearly the second best goalie behind Shwarz.

bruins4777*

Freaky Habs Fan said:
Halak was also very dood at the WJC. He was clearly the second best goalie behind Shwarz.
I disagree...but i wonder what makes you think that?

bruins_19

Dec 1, 2004
I also agree that Nastiuk should be higher. Very Very solid last 2 seasons and MVP of the playoffs last year in the wub. Personal problems have hindered him this season though.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
bruins4777 said:
I disagree...but i wonder what makes you think that?

Halak only had one bad game and it was against Canada...but who was good in front of them? Slovakia wasn't that strong and Halak was able to win some games almost by himself...

*Schwarz***CZE
6 (GP)
4 (wins)
2 (losses)
0 (ties)
.925 (save percentage)
13 (goal against)
2.17 (goal against average)
1 (Shutout)

Halak SVK
6 (GP)
4 (wins)
2 (losses)
0 (ties)
.916 (save percentage)
13 (goal against)
2.17 (goal against average)
2 (Shutout)

Marek Shwarz was the tournement most valuable goalie and Halak almost had the same stats. Glass did a better job stat wise but when you're in front of the Canadian net, it's easy to do a job like that.

rtafts

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
bruins4777 said:
this one is really hard cause of how goalies develop.
fleury
crawford
howard
lassila
beachumin
brown
chiodo
brodeur
nastiuk
ehlechner
regan
heino-lindbergh

thats all i feel comfortable for....i know fleury really well and brown ok, but outside of them i don't really know the goalies from the 03 draft as well as some others...
good list...brodeur's kinda out of his league there though.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
kremlin said:
As a follow up to my "Rank D from 2003 draft", I thought I would start a goalie thread as well. Almost 2 years after the draft: rank the GOALIES who were taken in the 2003 entry draft. I might have overlooked a few, so feel happy to squeeze some others into your lists. Below you find the players, including their original draft #.

M-A Fleury (#1)
Corey Crawford (#52)
Jim Howard (#64)
Ryan Munce (#82)
Konstantin Barulin (#84)
Jonathan Boutin (#96)
Teemu Lassila (#117)
Kevin Nastiuk (#126)
Patrick Ehelechner (#139)
David Tremblay (#140)
Mike Brown (#153)
Chris Beckford-Tseu (#159)
Christopher Heino-Lind (#177)
Chris Holt (#180)
Miroslav Kopriva (#187)
Rejean Beauchemin (#191)
Jason Smith (#197)
Andy Chiodo (#199 - re-entry)
Mike Brodeur (#211)
Gerald Coleman (#224)
Matt Zaba (#231)
Jeff Weber (#235)
Jaroslav Halak (#271)
Kevin Regan (#277)
Brian Elliot (#291)

M-A Fleury
Jim Howard
Corey Crawford
Ryan Munce
Konstantin Barulin
Mike Brown
Teemu Lassila
Christopher Heino-Lind
Kevin Nastiuk
Patrick Ehelechner
David Tremblay
Jonathan Boutin
Chris Beckford-Tseu
Chris Holt
Andy Chiodo
Mike Brodeur
Gerald Coleman
Rejean Beauchemin
Jeff Weber
Jaroslav Halak
Jason Smith
Matt Zaba
Miroslav Kopriva
Kevin Regan
Brian Elliot

last 5 players i haven't followed, so i just put them last.

bruins4777*

rtafts said:
good list...brodeur's kinda out of his league there though.
well the thing is, i consider brodeur really high, becuase he's in a super deep chicago system, which is why i feel he is getting time in the ECHL, where he is really playing very well. I could be wrong...maybe its the name...marty is one of my fav goalies :)

as for the guy who was talking about halak...
i didn't realize that at all, i didn't follow slovakia at all outside of ruzicka. Thats very interesting thanks for the info. Those stats are pretty impressive considering he had that horrid game against canada.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Haven't followed many during their respective regular seasons but based on WJC performances, Halak rises considerably and Heino-Lindberg drops considerably.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
bruins4777 said:
well the thing is, i consider brodeur really high, becuase he's in a super deep chicago system, which is why i feel he is getting time in the ECHL, where he is really playing very well. I could be wrong...maybe its the name...marty is one of my fav goalies :)

Had there been an NHL season, Broduer would have played backup in the AHL this year most likely. Crawford will probably take that spot next year again keeping Broduer in the ECHL yet another year. Id expect that Hawks will deal a goaltender within a year, so once that happens Broduer will see AHL playing time. He has a long way to go before he sees NHL time in the Hawks system, but the potential is there IMO for a solid backup.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
bossy22 said:
Haven't followed many during their respective regular seasons but based on WJC performances, Halak rises considerably and Heino-Lindberg drops considerably.

Halak is having a good season in the Q and had an awesome WJC. He's rising big time!

Linberg is having a great season with Hammeraby and had a bad WJC. IMO, he's still rising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad