Rank Benning's 8th Worst Move

What is Benning's 8th Worst Move?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Has to be the stupid pointless Forsling trade. We need defencemen and he traded a one for garbage.

A close 2nd to the Linden vey trade. God damn that one pissed me off.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
It’s been Juolevi over Tkachuk on every one of these polls, even though it was the first one off the board.

Seriously, that is gifting your divisional rival a bonafide top line winger for 20 years while simultaneously picking a lukewarm defenceman with low upside who would have been available at #10, and now might it even develop into sweet f*** all at the NHL level.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Gonna go with the Sutter deal here. It's atrocious.

Just hilarious how even at this point, there are still so many "strong" options to choose from.

Edit: Scratch that. Should've went with the Myers deal.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Could have gone a couple different ways at this point. The Sutter trade and contract definitely rank up there.

You had the Penguins who were in cap trouble looking to clear some salary, and instead of taking advantage of that, the Canuck's gave up more value in the trade. (A common theme in Benning trades.)

Then the contract followed where before even playing a game for Vancouver Benning locked him up to money and term and a retroactive NTC. This is such a testament to Jim Benning's pro scouting misses. You don't give a player money, term, and trade protection like that unless you really like them and think they're going to take a next step.

Ultimately I chose the Virtanen pick because it, along with the the Juolevi miss, are two of the most egregious errors because of the long term ramifications on the team and it's future.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm a little surprised that the Kassian trade to Montreal isn't on the list somewhere. They accepted a 'cup dump' in Brandon Prust who didn't last half a season in VanCity; and coughed up a fifth rounder for good measure. When they could probably have just put him on termination waivers.

Of course, maybe if they'd gotten him the help he needed, he might be still contributing to the Canucks instead of with the Oilers.

Reactions: Canucks5551

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
The Sutter trade wins it. Barely. Bonino had two years remaining on a 1.5M contract and that salary, and Bonino's all around game, contributed to a two cup wins. You could make an argument that Bonino was the better player at the time, but when adding the contracts in Benning got fleeced. To add insult to injury Benning seemed to lack even a basic understanding of Sutter's game.

Terrible trade and absolutely worthy of the 8th spot.

Reactions: PM and rypper

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Gonna go with the Sutter deal here. It's atrocious.

Just hilarious how even at this point, there are still so many "strong" options to choose from.

Edit: Scratch that. Should've went with the Myers deal.

Yeah, he's been a total disaster for us...

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Haha there's so many.

Not sure if it counts but his refusal to trade assets at the deadline for picks. Wasn't there one deadline where the media questioned him why didn't he acquire picks and his response was no team was really willing to give picks for rentals. When one looked at the trades at deadline the majority of them involved picks going the other way.

And for a so called draft guru you would think he would want more picks!

Reactions: rypper

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Looked it all over and thought to myself: "Holy crap we're still not out of the top ten?"

In an ideal world, we'd be having such an in-depth discussion about our 8th best prospect.

But, alas.....

Reactions: bossram

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
How does one choose, when
tenor.gif

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

nucker11

Apr 15, 2014
British Columbia
You can judge a contract before the player hits the ice.

Eriksson is case in point. It was a terrible deal at the time. The outcome was obvious.

Eriksson's deal was not obviously a terrible deal at the time. Most "experts" thought it was a fine deal and that he would end up being overpayed in the last couple years. No respected hockey analyst predicted LE would do this bad

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
It’s been Juolevi over Tkachuk on every one of these polls, even though it was the first one off the board.

Seriously, that is gifting your divisional rival a bonafide top line winger for 20 years while simultaneously picking a lukewarm defenceman with low upside who would have been available at #10, and now might it even develop into sweet **** all at the NHL level.

To be fair I'm not sure how I feel about draft picks being included here. Granted this one seems pretty obvious but I'm still focusing on trades/signings rather than the abhorrent scouting.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Eriksson's deal was not obviously a terrible deal at the time. Most "experts" thought it was a fine deal and that he would end up being overpayed in the last couple years. No respected hockey analyst predicted LE would do this bad

Umm...what experts? MSM guys who thought that David Clarkson was a good signing?

The Eriksson deal was universally panned by every knowledgable person I know. I knew it would be bad. Eriksson had been on a downward trend for years but came off a massive sh% spike and was already approaching the wrong side of 30. Add a big AAV and buyout-proof deal and anyone with any sense knew it was destined to end badly.

I don't think Myers deal is as bad, but it's in the same vein. And most knowledgable people I follow hold the same opinion.

Myers is a guy you can play in your #5 slot if you hide him from tough competition and shelter him with Ozone starts. He can help a bit on the PP, but he's frankly a very bad ES contributor and his shots against heat maps are not flattering. You don't give a guy like that, at age 29, a long term deal at 6 million dollars. And certainly not a buyout-proof one at that.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Sutter trade has been a complete disaster, the guy has been horrible. Bad in the room (balls quote), bad on the ice, constantly, overpaid...he’s another example of poor pro scouting. Benning literally saw his last name and creamed himself without having ever seen him play.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014

Seriously, that is gifting your divisional rival a bonafide top line winger for 20 years while simultaneously picking a lukewarm defenceman with low upside who would have been available at #10, and now might it even develop into sweet **** all at the NHL level.
You do realize OJ was the highest ranked D in the draft right? Or that the flames were also going to pick him right? You Benning haters are some of the most clueless sheep on the internet. OJ has already performed well against men and has thrived if he wasnt injured he would already be living up to his draft spot at 5th. Only the most uneducated hockey fan would look at his stats the last half of his swason in Finland or bis 18 games in Utica and still trash him. I can't wait till he proves he is the est D from that draft and all you sheep in typical hf fashion claim you supported him from the get go.I wonder how many of you have actually followed him at all and simply bust his balls because of what MT has done. A top pairing elite D that he will become, is worth far more then a winger who is overrated. Man you idgits need to stop being sheep and stop listening to trolls who bash Benning no matter if its factual or not. Only a simpleton would compare players when one has had to overcome 2 major injuries back to back that delayed his start to the NHL. Nobody is that dumb are they?

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
You do realize OJ was the highest ranked D in the draft right? Or that the flames were also going to pick him right? You Benning haters are some of the most clueless sheep on the internet. OJ has already performed well against men and has thrived if he wasnt injured he would already be living up to his draft spot at 5th. Only the most uneducated hockey fan would look at his stats the last half of his swason in Finland or bis 18 games in Utica and still trash him. I can't wait till he proves he is the est D from that draft and all you sheep in typical hf fashion claim you supported him from the get go.I wonder how many of you have actually followed him at all and simply bust his balls because of what MT has done. A top pairing elite D that he will become, is worth far more then a winger who is overrated. Man you idgits need to stop being sheep and stop listening to trolls who bash Benning no matter if its factual or not. Only a simpleton would compare players when one has had to overcome 2 major injuries back to back that delayed his start to the NHL. Nobody is that dumb are they?
Can you provide a legit source for this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad