News Article: Rangers winger Ryan Reaves discovers the history behind the family name

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Or you’ll find out that your deceased father was an attempted murderer & drug dealer/violent criminal who was in & out of prison his whole life, as was his dad; and the rest of the family :laugh: and he has like 5 cousins and they’re all in prison. A bunch of scumbags, my mom’s side of the family isn’t much better either, and I am the first person in my family to even have an ELEMENTARY school education. I don’t know how I turned out so normal!
Elementary school degree --> #1 overall pick --> Kravtsov paparazzi

Reactions: EdJovanovski

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Alsace-Lorraine? It was taken from the French - who I think conquered in the 17th century - by the German Empire in 1871 during the Franco-Prussian war, but Germany was forced to give it back to France after World War I (Treaty of Versailles). Or is another area?

Yes! We're Alsatian.

During the time when my ancestors lived there (we came over late 18's/early 19's) the population was very German. My family didn't speak anything but German when they came to the US. It's different now. Most people there today consider themselves French and speak French first by choice (although German is still taught in primary school and just about everyone there speaks both as far as my understanding).

My family is also Alsatian! They emigrated in the 1860s, before it was "part of Germany," but were ethnically German.

There's actually a lot of intersting history, it's basically been passed back and forth between "Germany" and "France" for roughly 1500 years.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Or you’ll find out that your deceased father was an attempted murderer & drug dealer/violent criminal who was in & out of prison his whole life, as was his dad; and the rest of the family :laugh: and he has like 5 cousins and they’re all in prison. A bunch of scumbags, my mom’s side of the family isn’t much better either, and I am the first person in my family to even have an ELEMENTARY school education. I don’t know how I turned out so normal!
You might want to get a second opinion on the last part of your post.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Alsace-Lorraine? It was taken from the French - who I think conquered in the 17th century - by the German Empire in 1871 during the Franco-Prussian war, but Germany was forced to give it back to France after World War I (Treaty of Versailles). Or is another area?
Alsace-Lorraine is also the location of a very large Allied Forces cemetery.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
great story. Both my grandfathers were in the Pacific in WWII.
Those guys were a different breed. They don’t make them like that anymore.
They certainly lived up to their names, being the greatest Generation.
Can you imagine the shit they had to see, do, and be responsible for at 18-19-20 years old?? Absolutely crazy.
Neither of them really spoke about the war much when they got home, they just came back, got married, wanted to work and have kids and start a family.
My fathers father was crew on the fighting Lady. ( U.S.S Yorktown is the formal name). He drove the LCP boat that would drop troops off on the beach heads, return to the carrier, fill up the boat and keep going back. I can’t imagine what he went thru with all the explosions an bullets flying by, seeing tons of terrible things etc. When they were out to sea, he was a gunner on the Yorktown. What all those guys went thru for family, god, and country is astounding. I love hearing old WWII stories. They were hard like rocks.

They really were. You see and hear a lot about PTSD through charities like the Wounded Warrior Project, etc. - for good reason. Its a really difficult thing.

That generation didnt have anyone to turn to really, dealing with the same stuff, very little support systems, seldom spoke about their service and were just expected to reassimilate themselves back into society - and most of them did.

At all 3 of their funerals they had military send offs with the white gloves, playing of taps and the presentation of the flag. The sense of pride I felt during those moments could not be measured.

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
Ryan Reaves recently traced his ancestry and found he was the great-great-great grandson of a guy named Bass Reeves, who was the first Black deputy U.S. marshal west of the Mississippi.
JoVo already posted this in some thread not long ago. I actually then thought it was a fun fact and only given any air of probability by the fact that Reavo "comes from a family of law-enforcement". If it's actually sufficiently probably true - wow, tremendously cool.

Reactions: SixGoalieSystem

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
They really were. You see and hear a lot about PTSD through charities like the Wounded Warrior Project, etc. - for good reason. Its a really difficult thing.

That generation didnt have anyone to turn to really, dealing with the same stuff, very little support systems, seldom spoke about their service and were just expected to reassimilate themselves back into society - and most of them did.

At all 3 of their funerals they had military send offs with the white gloves, playing of taps and the presentation of the flag. The sense of pride I felt during those moments could not be measured.

absolutely. The funeral detail service men take that job very seriously. They are very respectful and courteous, especially for burials of soldiers from that generation. Like you said, from the moment they play taps up to the moment they present the flag to a family member, very professional.
Nailed the sense of pride comment as well. You can’t help but to think how they got thru all those experiences and the tremendous amount of war that was raging all over the world at that point in time.
But they came back, and just wanted to get married, start a family, and go to work.
I’m sure your grandfather, like mine and many other rarely missed a day of work. Most of the time not at all.
I can’t put into words the respect I feel for them.
That generation was true men, certainly role models anyone can look up to.

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Time for some well deserved cheers for the man. First a big cheer from Don Cherry. I never agree with Cherry but this time he's absolutely right. I know this is a double post in form of this youtube video, but Reaves deserves all the respect:

Hits/ 60 minutes, all players with 12 games or more: Reaves, #1, 25,73 hits/ 60 minutes of play.
NHL Stats

6 assist, some of them really nice, ready to wreck scrubs like Wilsons, or Martins, all in all, this is the first time in 2 decades the NYR has gained confidence and morale from signing a tough guy. Because he actually, constantly wrecks people. Him fighting is just a bonus.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Time for some well deserved cheers for the man. First a big cheer from Don Cherry. I never agree with Cherry but this time he's absolutely right. I know this is a double post in form of this youtube video, but Reaves deserves all the respect:

Hits/ 60 minutes, all players with 12 games or more: Reaves, #1, 25,73 hits/ 60 minutes of play.
NHL Stats

6 assist, some of them really nice, ready to wreck scrubs like Wilsons, or Martins, all in all, this is the first time in 2 decades the NYR has gained confidence and morale from signing a tough guy. Because he actually, constantly wrecks people. Him fighting is just a bonus.

He was by far our most impactful offseason addition this year

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
Reavo is big (thanks) but ol' father time... He could be the ultimate pro and do the utmost to keep himself in shape but years just might say nyet... Just like with prospects talent, you never know.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I know that this is in the PGT, but it shouldn’t just be buried there.

Amazing shot.
1514D9E0-C34D-4137-901F-6A236803F49D.jpeg

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Bass was a real by the book law man. He was on Legends and Lies series. Even arrested his own son.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00