Pre-Game Talk: Rangers vs Water Fowl - 12/19/17 - 7pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Hayes is really struggling to score this season.
I think Hayes has been good in terms of controlling the puck and driving offense and even defensively. But the gets himself out of control and is simply ineffective without a plan once he gains the zone and a step on defenders. So I see progress but still a ways to go. But I certainly am optimistic about Hayes. Not saying you’re negative or wrong. Just expanding on Hayes. And I do agree different linemates might help. I think Buchnevich is a nice fit with Hayes. Buchnevich seems to think with his center well. And Hayes needs that.

Reactions: bl02

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Hayes has been good in terms of controlling the puck and driving offense and even defensively. But the gets himself out of control and is simply ineffective without a plan once he gains the zone and a step on defenders. So I see progress but still a ways to go. But I certainly am optimistic about Hayes. Not saying you’re negative or wrong. Just expanding on Hayes. And I do agree different linemates might help. I think Buchnevich is a nice fit with Hayes. Buchnevich seems to think with his center well. And Hayes needs that.

Hayes is on pace for 35 points, that number needs to be higher. I don't think its all his fault, but it needs to be a higher number by the end of the season.

One option is to change the top two lines. I kind of see a clear top 7 in our forward lineup. The other 6 having varying degrees of ability, but are mostly interchangeable. That means 1 of the top 7 will get shafted if the top two lines have 3 of those players each. I'd rather not change Zibanejad and Buchnevich. I don't think KZB has to play together, but I think that combo of two particularly works extremely well. If we want to change that line, I'd consider moving Kreider from that line to play with Zuccarello who he has shown he can play well with. Getting Hayes to play with Buchnevich could theoretically work, but that means you are moving him off a line with Zibanejad, which I don't think is wise at this point. Hayes could play winger on that line, but then it creates a problem at 3rd line center, so I'm not sure it works well now. Maybe later in the season or next season.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I don't care what anyone says Hayes has been a very very good two way responsible center in these last 25 games or so. Sure he's had a few off games in that span but who hasn't on this team?! His point total don't tell the entire story.
Without him I can't imagine where this team would have been after that 3-7 start especially with the injury to Mika.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad