Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Tony DeAngelo [2Y/4.8M AAV] Mod post #120

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Always that one guy that starts it up about Tony.

Dude was stellar last season. I do have some reserve he will be more of a 40 point guy than 60+, but he's playing with phenomenal forward talent.

If the defensive game start catching up a little more, he could be a 7x7 candidate on his next deal. Not sure we want to be the team that hands that deal out, but we have a lot to learn about the kids coming behind, and we have more to learn about Fox than the 70 some games he has at this level.

Everyone saying it's his last two years here shouldn't count on it. Lots of directions the RDs can go. Preparing a lineup 2 years from now is nearly impossible.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Could very much see this team having a good start to the season, Buffalo having another mediocre start, and DeAngelo being part of a package for Jack Eichel at the deadline.

The Rangers have defenseman coming on both sides. Reunanen, Miller, Hajek, Robertson, Lundkvist, Schneider.

I like Tony he produces, but with the offensive talent this team has, his numbers will get a boost and he will want even more during his next contract and I just dont think we can afford that with how much he lacks on defense. Fox will need a new contract in 2 years, and even if we bridge him, there will still be a significant pay raise if he stays on track, which is providing good offense and very solid defense. And I’d rather pay Fox the money and cash in on DeAngelo raising his value playing with the talent we have here to acquire another C.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Like they aren’t doing it on Twitter already, :laugh: ( said with love. Its way more tolerable here when it comes to him)Twitter is impossible if you want any TDA hockey news. Twitter is 90% shit garbage.
This is the same thing though.

Nothing wrong with saying you struggle to root for him, nothing wrong with saying you're tired of hearing that.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Shootout goal, I love his expression he looks like a caveman LMAO. He has so much swagger and confidence I remember just knowing he was going to score based on his body language before his attempt, he's scored something like 5 times in a row in the shootout
giphy.gif
DeAngelo is filthy during the shootout

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
If the defensive game start catching up a little more, he could be a 7x7 candidate on his next deal. Not sure we want to be the team that hands that deal out, but we have a lot to learn about the kids coming behind, and we have more to learn about Fox than the 70 some games he has at this level.
The idea that “if he gets better defensively, we have to pay him more and it’s too much money,” is flawed. If he gets better defensively, and is even average at defense, we have a perennial Norris candidate and 7x7 would be yet another steal.

Reactions: mas0764

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Buch remains on the table, though obviously that brings its own share of risks.

I expect he will be moved within the next year. I'm guessing how soon will depend on the development of Gauthier and Kravstov, and to a lesser extent Kakko, or whether Kreider can move to the right side. But we have most of our talent on the wing. Buch is going to get a raise in a year, and he seems to be the odd man out.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I am always more of an on ice value person. For the same reasons I don't find much value in the character/role/intangible stuff without positive on ice attributes is the same reason I find value in the puck moving, production, etc. I believe the on ice stuff wins more games than anything else.

I think this is a good deal for the Rangers and ADA. While he may be traded at some point I don't particularly feel like this contract was designed/structured for that. More it seems like it's a contract the Rangers or any other team could go forward with.
Concern for him off-ice is his history and that he is very outspoken on social media. I do not have a problem with anything he says, but fear it is only a matter of time he says something bad enough that it crosses a line that the team feels they have no choice but to cut ties. When season ended, I said I didn't want him signed for more than 2 years. I was fine with him getting ~$5MM per, but did not want him locked up long-term. 1) They have a lot of young dmen in the system and 2 years gives them more time to evaluate those players. In 2 years, they may have a few options to replace DeAngelo at a much cheaper cap hit. 2) He strikes me as the type of player who needs short term deals to stay focused and motivated. He is not a guy I would want to have the comfort of a long-term deal. Obviously, that comes with a risk, too. If he puts up 70-80 points each of the next season, his price goes up.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Always that one guy that starts it up about Tony.

Dude was stellar last season. I do have some reserve he will be more of a 40 point guy than 60+, but he's playing with phenomenal forward talent.

Everyone saying it's his last two years here shouldn't count on it. Lots of directions the RDs can go. Preparing a lineup 2 years from now is nearly impossible.
Me. lol

No, even I like this. I was having feelings he'd end up settling ~4.75M. Smart move by him, but theprobably said sign up or ship out. I bet he and Strome probably got an ultimatum--Strome is a bit more street smart in the NHL (almost oxymoron). Now, whenever Lemieux is done playing big boy.

Ardi44

Jan 31, 2011
great deal for both sides. cant stand the reaction already that they will trade him. this board is notorious for slobbering over prospects that havent been successful at the NHL level. we finally have a point producing defenseman thats willing to play either position, and his plane ticket has already been bought. why dont we let it play out and see which "stud" prospect plays well enough to unseat him. sure isnt going to happen next year.

Governor

Nov 8, 2019
Could very much see this team having a good start to the season, Buffalo having another mediocre start, and DeAngelo being part of a package for Jack Eichel at the deadline.

The Rangers have defenseman coming on both sides. Reunanen, Miller, Hajek, Robertson, Lundkvist, Schneider.

I like Tony he produces, but with the offensive talent this team has, his numbers will get a boost and he will want even more during his next contract and I just dont think we can afford that with how much he lacks on defense. Fox will need a new contract in 2 years, and even if we bridge him, there will still be a significant pay raise if he stays on track, which is providing good offense and very solid defense. And I’d rather pay Fox the money and cash in on DeAngelo raising his value playing with the talent we have here to acquire another C.
How exactly would the Rangers even get Eichel? I don't believe ADA would be enough on his own, and wouldn't it be prudent to expect Buffalo to want a very big return for Eichel? Something including Kakko and one of Miller or Lundkvist? I don't think the Rangers even need Eichel more than they need solid center depth, no? I have a feeling that getting Eichel to the Rangers would wind up costing the Rangers more than Eichel could bring to the team.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
How exactly would the Rangers even get Eichel? I don't believe ADA would be enough on his own, and wouldn't it be prudent to expect Buffalo to want a very big return for Eichel? Something including Kakko and one of Miller or Lundkvist? I don't think the Rangers even need Eichel more than they need solid center depth, no? I have a feeling that getting Eichel to the Rangers would wind up costing the Rangers more than Eichel could bring to the team.
I never said ADA would be enough. But a RHD 50-60 point D that is 25 years old is a damn good starting point. You can add in another roster play piece such as Chytil. A future 1st and possibly one Kravtsov. Not every prospect will make it. Not every prospect can make it. There are only 12 spots.

But this as been discussed many, many times in the last few weeks. There are only a handful of teams that can not only afford Eichel’s cap hit, but be a desirable place for Eichel to go regardless of him not having a NMC, and have the assets to satisfy the needs of Buffalo. The Rangers have the deepest system in the league. They can outbid anyone. They would not have to trade Kakko or Lafreniere. Their assets without those two are better and deeper than other organizations.

As to Eichel being an upgrade by the time we have completed the deal of assets going the other way, absolutely. No we dont just need center depth. We have plenty of potential bottom 6 options. We need a legitimate 2C, or even 1B to Zibanejad who may walk in 2 years. And yes we absolutely could use an 80 point 23 year old center. You cannot make the argument otherwise. DeAngelo, we have a surplus on RD. Chytil, Eichel is essentially replacing while Chytil is still TBD if he can even be a center in this league. The prospect we give up hasnt arrived on the scene and again we have a distinct amount of depth in that department. And the future 1st is just that an undetermined future asset.

This isnt happening right now. This is a deadline move or 2021 offseason move after Buffalo has another mediocre season and/or Hall leaves.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I do not have a problem with anything he says, but fear it is only a matter of time he says something bad enough that it crosses a line that the team feels they have no choice but to cut ties.
Agree with everything here. This is also my fear and why I said I don’t like how he expresses himself (“how” being the key word, I’m not trying to start anything political). But I also think that it’s very unlikely that ever happens. Teams cutting ties with players for that kind of stuff (I think) is uncommon.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I do not believe tony is dumb enough to say or do anything on social media that would jeopardize his job.

he has a chance to be an Allstar and he’s going to be a major part of this team taking the next step.

he may be an outspoken goof and full of jersey swagger, but he ain’t dumb .

kids got a top 4 spot wrapped up, a PP1 QB role and a new contract for 10 mil.

he’s good.

Ardi44

Jan 31, 2011
I do not believe tony is dumb enough to say or do anything on social media that would jeopardize his job.

he has a chance to be an Allstar and he’s going to be a major part of this team taking the next step.

he’s good.
even when he speaks, it doesnt come out like it does for Aubrey Huff. He's opinionated, but its not at the expense of being disruptive.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

he’s good.
It is not that I fear he is dumb. Just that in the heat of the moment even the smartest people can let their guard down and post something they shouldn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad