Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign defenseman Michael Paliotta

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'm really happy with this signing. This and Clendening gives the Rangers 2 legit young players very close to NHL ready for no assets. Hoping the Rangers give this guy a legitimate shot at a bottom-pairing role. They need one of these low cost options to help fill the holes of all of those picks they traded away

Could be nothing and yet it could be something. We didn't give up any assets to acquire these 2. Love it.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Very surprised that Columbus didn't qualify him.

There's a good deal of upside here, especially for a kid who was pretty highly regarded coming out of college and who has a total of 78 professional games under his belt.

I know there was some disappointment that he didn't make the leap to a starting NHL role immediately, but this is a signing with some nice potential.

Keep an eye on this one.

Biermugg

Jun 27, 2007
From the rangers facebook, ‪"#‎TBT‬ recently signed Mike Paliotta as a PeeWee ‪#‎NYR‬ with legend Mark Messier!"

13631423_10153905561594858_4490149076792625781_n.jpg

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Very surprised that Columbus didn't qualify him.

There's a good deal of upside here, especially for a kid who was pretty highly regarded coming out of college and who has a total of 78 professional games under his belt.

I know there was some disappointment that he didn't make the leap to a starting NHL role immediately, but this is a signing with some nice potential.

Keep an eye on this one.

I agree with this. The only thing I can think of is he may have asked not be qualified with the D depth in Columbus. I think he pushes for a spot this year

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I agree with this. The only thing I can think of is he may have asked not be qualified with the D depth in Columbus. I think he pushes for a spot this year

Read simewhere his QO had to be ~>$1M; CBJ has Cap issues, so no QO. They have some high contracts, ie paying guys like RD David Savard >$4M

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Read simewhere his QO had to be ~>$1M; CBJ has Cap issues, so no QO. They have some high contracts, ie paying guys like RD David Savard >$4M

Yeah but you would think they would have offered him a contract anyways? He only got $600k from the Rangers so I am sure they would have given him more to keep him?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Yeah but you would think they would have offered him a contract anyways? He only got $600k from the Rangers so I am sure they would have given him more to keep him?

Once he was free agent he had no commitment to CBJ.
Did help win that AHL title for cleveland a week before Lebron.

He signed with CBH, when he could have Hayes/Vesey'd them, rode along for a Cup run, got traded before his first training camp as a pro

Then got trashed for his one game in CBJ jersey
Once free, why not come home, to an org where Kevin Klein is only sure thing on Right side

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Once he was free agent he had no commitment to CBJ.
Did help win that AHL title for cleveland a week before Lebron.

He signed with CBH, when he could have Hayes/Vesey'd them, rode along for a Cup run, got traded before his first training camp as a pro

Then got trashed for his one game in CBJ jersey
Once free, why not come home, to an org where Kevin Klein is only sure thing on Right side

Yup. That narrative totally makes sense.

Doing my best not to get my hopes up too high.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Providing AV allows him to get in the lineup. He does not seem like he fits AV's vision of defensemen.

Depends on how good his skating is IMO. Still think AV gives a ton of slack to the guys who can skate well and handle the puck decently.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

That's a very viable reason. Same applied to Conor Allen while he was here in NY.

Rangers cut ties with him, gave him a better chance elsewhere.

Like his former teammate Sean Haggerty, Allen was also asking for a NHL look before being moved on from.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
That's a very viable reason. Same applied to Conor Allen while he was here in NY.

Rangers cut ties with him, gave him a better chance elsewhere.

Like his former teammate Sean Haggerty, Allen was also asking for a NHL look before being moved on from.

Ryan Haggerty, Mikos. :laugh:

On a side note, Sean Haggerty was a favorite of mine in juniors. Sad he never made the jump.

KreiderHouseRules*

Depends on how good his skating is IMO. Still think AV gives a ton of slack to the guys who can skate well and handle the puck decently.

Huh?

Doesn't he do the opposite?

Yandle was a 3rd pair D here because AV chose to play Staal over him.

He gave Staal and Girardi more minutes and even used Boyle in more crucial situations.

If anything he gives more slack to guys who can't skate as long as they're veterans because in his mind, that's "the right thing to do."

More than anybing, he loves veterans and he keeps young players on very tight leashes and expects them to perform at their best after being benched for a month (see: McIlrath) or while being jerked around the lineup constantly (Miller, Hayes, Lindberg).

He plays Glass. Can he skate?

He didn't play Yandle. He can skate and move the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad