Confirmed with Link: Rangers Select Keegan Iverson (C/W - WHL) with the 85th Overall Pick

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Well no doubt he's a nyr pick. He'll fit right in with our can't score tradition.

Projs as a 3rd line tweeter type. Not a high skill guy but tough and scrappy.

You cannot make this stuff up.

Hockey's different here

He's a late 3rd round pick… He has a shot to be a tough player with some scoring ability. I'd take that from any 3rd round pick.

The "hockey is different here" is kind of weak considering they played in the Stanley Cup final two weeks ago.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Well no doubt he's a nyr pick. He'll fit right in with our can't score tradition.

Hockey's different here

if he was high end skill guy to go along with his tough and scrappy play in a PF body, i doubt hed be available at 85th overall...

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

Hockey's different here

If it was common place for the Rangers to get a 3rd liner out of every 3rd round pick, we'd be doing pretty well.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Reading all these comments and scouting reports makes it look like the Rangers got a great value for a late 3rd. I'm guessing he will get more responsibility this year and has a shot at the US U20 team?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Hey look at that, picked one of the guys we actually liked around here, f'in miracle to say the least.

Now get on with it Keegan, you're our only hope !

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Plenty of skill passed over when we chose him.

Not a fan of choosing players who have offensive ceilings.

This organization hasn't had a sniper since I'm not sure when. Thomas perhaps and he's no longer a nyr guy.

Great value is subjective. Again, they chose this guy over alot of skilled players.

Safe is death when you are the nyr organization.

Goals = offensive skill.

offensive skill= talent

Talent = skating. Shooting. Passing & Hockey Iq.

Grinders = anyone lacking the above.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I am beyond thrilled that they finally drafted a legitimate power forward prospect. It's about time.

More skill? Kristo, Fast, Miller, Duclair, Buchnevich all skill players.m time for more size. This organization can't develop truculent bottom 6 players for some reason. I hope he helps.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I am beyond thrilled that they finally drafted a legitimate power forward prospect. It's about time.

More skill? Kristo, Fast, Miller, Duclair, Buchnevich all skill players.m time for more size. This organization can't develop truculent bottom 6 players for some reason. I hope he helps.

He should, hopefully. He's a hell of a pick. Our best pick of the draft in terms of value, I think.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

This organization hasn't had a sniper since I'm not sure when. Thomas perhaps and he's no longer a nyr guy.

Great value is subjective. Again, they chose this guy over alot of skilled players.

Goals = offensive skill.

offensive skill= talent

Need moarrrr Russians!!!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Need moarrrr Russians!!!

Yeah, it does seem like especially Russians we pick always are real good value picks. Not necessarily saying the ones we pass on should have been picked, but we seldom pick anyone that sucks.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Goals = offensive skill.

offensive skill= talent

With a prospect pool as thin as our is, we need to find NHL bodies, not reach for the boom or bust types.

Iverson may be a 2nd-3rd tweener based on his skill set, but his size and aggressive play with enable us to slot him anywhere in the lineup.

But yeah, let's take another Shane McColgan or MSC, because they worked out so well. We got skill guys in Duclair and Buchnevich last year. And one of them is even Russian, which should make you happy.

Edmonton is loaded with talented players. How's it working out for them?

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
With a prospect pool as thin as our is, we need to find NHL bodies, not reach for the boom or bust types.

Iverson may be a 2nd-3rd tweener based on his skill set, but his size and aggressive play with enable us to slot him anywhere in the lineup.

But yeah, let's take another Shane McColgan or MSC, because they worked out so well. We got skill guys in Duclair and Buchnevich last year. And one of them is even Russian, which should make you happy.

Edmonton is loaded with talented players. How's it working out for them?

Also they took two boom or bust guys, they're just small offensive defensemen instead of scoring forwards. Last time I checked, production from the blueline was an organizational need. The Rafalski comp for Nanne is super intriguing.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A winning team is made of a lot of different elements. You need speed, skill, size. You need guys who can score and create. You need guys that can hit and fight. You need practically everyone to know how to defend and some of them to kill penalties. Look at the Kings, Bruins and Blackhawks--they're not all goal scorers. Iverson looks to me like a guy who could fit onto our third line some day--produce a decent amount of offense and a lot of physical play. It wasn't likely that we were going to find a first line skill player at the tail end of the third round of an average draft. I don't know why ODC is *****ing about the pick. For what was left on the board it was an excellent pick. One player I was interested in was Anton Karlsson--the Rangers didn't get him but Iverson is pretty much the same kind of player.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Agreed 100%. Last year all three 3rds were used on high/risk reward skill players and it seems to be coming along. If one of Buch/Duclair/Tambellini becomes an impact skill player that is a well executed strategy. 2? Phenomenal.

But you also need to consistently get NHLers from your drafting. And when you trade away picks frequently that takes away so,e of the ability to take risks. We have seen the value of depth this season. And by extension how difficult it can be to retain AFFORDABLE depth.

Got to see Iverson play a few games for Breck. His hands aren't bad at all. I wouldn't expect him to be a true impact PF...I think Bryan Bickel is a decent hope for best case.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
A winning team is made of a lot of different elements. You need speed, skill, size. You need guys who can score and create. You need guys that can hit and fight. You need practically everyone to know how to defend and some of them to kill penalties. Look at the Kings, Bruins and Blackhawks--they're not all goal scorers. Iverson looks to me like a guy who could fit onto our third line some day--produce a decent amount of offense and a lot of physical play. It wasn't likely that we were going to find a first line skill player at the tail end of the third round of an average draft. I don't know why ODC is *****ing about the pick. For what was left on the board it was an excellent pick. One player I was interested in was Anton Karlsson--the Rangers didn't get him but Iverson is pretty much the same kind of player.

Not a fan of this pick nor our prior pick.

This kid is a decent prospect. Good on ice attitude and some flash of scoring but he doesn't project to be a top 6 kid and there were better players available. His hands are just ok. More n/s type game with little creativity.

We go goal with pick 1 which is an absolute miss and here we go 3rd line ceiling kid with so so offensive upside.

I do like the igor pick. Very athletic competitive kid. Would have loved him as our only g pick and gone dom turgeon out of Portland or the Finn lammikko who looks like a younger Joel armia. Both better organizational choices at 59.

At 59 we had a top 60 kid available and we took not even the best goalie let alone bpa.

Our drafting Just makes me shake my head.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
At 59 we had a top 60 kid available and we took not even the best goalie let alone bpa.

Apparently the Rangers scouts believed that he was the best goalie available and probably the best player available as well.

Calgary took Mason McDonald 34th overall and he wasn't the top rated by the scouting services either.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Finally off the road, so here's my take:

Like I said, I really love this pick. We do not have a forward like this in our system at the moment. Meaning a guy who can make a huge difference with his physical game. This kid LOVES to hit people and he hits them hard. He's built like a fullback and people just bounce right off of him. He has the speed to get in on the forecheck and create turnovers by pounding the defenders. We definitely lack that in our organization.

Offensively he still has plenty of upside, IMO. 22G and 20A while getting limited PP time and 3rd line minutes on a powerhouse team isn't anything to turn your nose up at. He has a heavy slapper and good wrister but he needs to work on getting it off faster. He's a good passer when he sees a lane, but isn't going to wow anyone with his creativity in that department. His hands are underrated in close and he can create chances for himself very well.

Ultimately he projects as a winger in the NHL, IMO, but he could be that big, physical presence that can skate on a scoring line and keep opposing teams honest when it comes to taking shots at your best guys. He could be that 15-20 goal guy who can play on any line in your top 9 while still being very effective. Similar to Troy Brouwer but with a more consistent motor.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Finally off the road, so here's my take:

Like I said, I really love this pick. We do not have a forward like this in our system at the moment. Meaning a guy who can make a huge difference with his physical game. This kid LOVES to hit people and he hits them hard. He's built like a fullback and people just bounce right off of him. He has the speed to get in on the forecheck and create turnovers by pounding the defenders. We definitely lack that in our organization.

Offensively he still has plenty of upside, IMO. 22G and 20A while getting limited PP time and 3rd line minutes on a powerhouse team isn't anything to turn your nose up at. He has a heavy slapper and good wrister but he needs to work on getting it off faster. He's a good passer when he sees a lane, but isn't going to wow anyone with his creativity in that department. His hands are underrated in close and he can create chances for himself very well.

Ultimately he projects as a winger in the NHL, IMO, but he could be that big, physical presence that can skate on a scoring line and keep opposing teams honest when it comes to taking shots at your best guys. He could be that 15-20 goal guy who can play on any line in your top 9 while still being very effective. Similar to Troy Brouwer but with a more consistent motor.

Excellent. Players like this are important, but they can be hard to get because they always get overpaid.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I like this pick a great deal...a physical winger the Rangers do not have the likes of in the system. I'll be more than content if he turns out to be a quality 3rd liner.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Not a fan of this pick nor our prior pick.

This kid is a decent prospect. Good on ice attitude and some flash of scoring but he doesn't project to be a top 6 kid and there were better players available. His hands are just ok. More n/s type game with little creativity.

We go goal with pick 1 which is an absolute miss and here we go 3rd line ceiling kid with so so offensive upside.

I do like the igor pick. Very athletic competitive kid. Would have loved him as our only g pick and gone dom turgeon out of Portland or the Finn lammikko who looks like a younger Joel armia. Both better organizational choices at 59.

Our drafting Just makes me shake my head.

You're the only one who doesn't like this pick. That should tell you something.

Iverson is better than just about anyone at that spot.

If you were in our draft room, you'd only take skill guys and ignore every other facet. The Matt Millen of NHL drafting. :rolleyes:

ocarina

May 23, 2009
You're the only one who doesn't like this pick. That should tell you something.

Iverson is better than just about anyone at that spot.

If you were in our draft room, you'd only take skill guys and ignore every other facet. The Matt Millen of NHL drafting. :rolleyes:

If it means anything, I'm not overly thrilled with the pick. Kinda puzzling that they took Iverson with his teammate, Chase De Leo (a guy who plays a much bigger role for Portland), still waiting to be picked. Not only that, but De Leo's scouting report IMO reads better as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad