Confirmed with Link: Rangers Select Daniel Walcott (D - QMJHL) with 140th Overall Pick

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Hello guys I watched Walcott play all year and he is a solid pick. I didn't think he would get drafted because of his age but in the 5th round it's a good bet, especially since teams are always drafting those overagers now.

He came in as a 19 yrs old free agent and looked great right from the get-go and quickly became our #1 D.

He has a lot of offensive tools, solid hockey sense and a ton of speed. He is also very smart on D and can log a lot of minutes, playing both PP and PK.

He should be able to step right into the AHL, but we would prefer that you send him back to us!

If you have any question feel free to ask.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Hello guys I watched Walcott play all year and he is a solid pick. I didn't think he would get drafted because of his age but in the 5th round it's a good bet, especially since teams are always drafting those overagers now.

He came in as a 19 yrs old free agent and looked great right from the get-go and quickly became our #1 D.

He has a lot of offensive tools, solid hockey sense and a ton of speed. He is also very smart on D and can log a lot of minutes, playing both PP and PK.

He should be able to step right into the AHL, but we would prefer that you send him back to us!

Thnx for the info

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA
NYR got a nice pick. Walcott played for Lindenwood University last season in St. Charles, MO (suburb of St. Louis) as a 17 yr old. He's speedy offensive D-man with solid vision and puck skills. ACHA DI level in which LU plays is comparable to mid-range NCAA DIII, he moved on to the QMJHL for the 2013-14 season and became a regular along the Armada blue line.

I was hoping the Blues might take him, he'll need to continue to bulk up but has NHL potential as he continues growing and developing.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

How's his shot?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
the question for me is can he go back to the Q? because if he can't he's probably not ready for the AHL--not if he's a 168 lb. defenseman anyway.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
the question for me is can he go back to the Q? because if he can't he's probably not ready for the AHL--not if he's a 168 lb. defenseman anyway.

I know the normal rules are if you are drafted out of the CHL you stay in the CHL and aren't eligible until 20. I'm not sure how it is if you are passed over, though, your first time around.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I know the normal rules are if you are drafted out of the CHL you stay in the CHL and aren't eligible until 20. I'm not sure how it is if you are passed over, though, your first time around.

He is a 1994 birthday so he can go right to the AHL.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal

He can play in the Q as an overager, he'd be one of the top Ds in the league for sure. He can also turn pro if the Rangers choose to sign him and put him in the ECHL or AHL.

It would depend on training camp imo. But the guy has been rapidly improving so I wouldn't doubt his ability to impress and make the AHL squad out of camp.

How's his shot?

Not a 10/10 Subban-like slapper but a solid bomb nonetheless.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I like everything about him but his size. He's not even small, he's downright tiny. But I'll give him a chance. Sounds like from the scouting reps that he has more balls than Mantha at 6'4"

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Agreed. I saw him a lot as well and came away impressed each time. What most impressed me was his decision-making and it leads me to believe he's got a shot. It will likely take 3-4 years in the AHL to round out his game though.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Very intrigued by this pick. Would fill a gaping hole in the system.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Rangers have an interview with him up on their site. He seems happy enough. I got the idea that he's probably a bit heavier than the 168 lbs. he's listed at. Twenty years old with one season of major junior hockey and posters from Quebec saying he was the best d-man on his team. It is intriguing. Gord Clark seemed to think he's going back to the Q for an overage season. It's probably for the best. Gets his weight up a bit and he'll be ready to turn pro.

iamthewalrus

Aug 1, 2010
Connecticut
Per Twitter:

@PLeonardNYDN:
2014-06-30 22:38:13 UTC

Hit the 1st day of #NYR devel. camp. Walcott can SKATE. Czech 5th rounder Nejezchleb is a big dude. Halverson (goalie) athletic, plays puck

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Woke up to some good news (well, for me). Daniel Walcott named captain of the Armada for the upcoming season. I'm guessing this means Bouchard has spoken with the Rangers and they are not likely to keep him in the AHL/ECHL this year.

#CaptainWally

http://instagram.com/p/rjo4Wtg5tt/

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Good for him. That's quite a statement of his leadership abilities. Not a whole lot of guys are named captain in just their second year of junior play, regardless of their age.

KreiMeARiver*

His favorite fun park is:

original.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad