Confirmed with Link: Rangers Select Brandon Halverson (G - OHL) with 59th Overall Pick

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Usually when a pool is quite deep and the guys aren't necessarily that far apart from each other (like this season), there isn't a consensus.

The actual results of the draft make me think the people you talked to were not connected at all to the process.

If you think drafting today is similar to over a decade ago, feel free to think that.

I talked to head scouts from NA and Europe, how deep do you want me to get here? ;)

And I was using the DEvs example of drafting goalies, not as an entry draft comparison. The example still applies, a team with one of the top 2 goalies in the world, at the least, wastes assets by drafting more goalies. Look at the Devs, wouldn't they have been better off drafting forwards and Dmen, even if they didn't pan out to be worldbeaters, they'd have been more valuable than what they got in return for those goalies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I talked to head scouts from NA and Europe, how deep do you want me to get here? ;)

And I was using the DEvs example of drafting goalies, not as an entry draft comparison. The example still applies, a team with one of the top 2 goalies in the world at the least wastes assets by drafting more goalies. Look at the Devs, wouldn't they have been better off drafting forwards and Dmen, even if they didn't pan out to be worldbeaters, they'd have been more valuable than what they got in return for those goalies.

Look, I don't trust hearsay from someone else. So I put zero stock into what you are saying (no offense, but I'm sure you can understand why -- and I also don't expect people to trust any hearsay I bring into a conversation). I sort of find it funny that you trust these supposed scouts more than ours.

The Devils made some bad picks. However, this is an end of the second round pick. It's much, much different than if we picked the guy in the first round.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Look, I don't trust hearsay from someone else. So I put zero stock into what you are saying (no offense, but I'm sure you can understand why -- and I also don't expect people to trust any hearsay I bring into a conversation). I sort of find it funny that you trust these supposed scouts more than ours.

The Devils made some bad picks. However, this is an end of the second round pick. It's much, much different than if we picked the guy in the first round.

I get ya, I just have a hard time with this since I just got back from immersing myself in actual professional opinions regarding prospects. People always say 'how many times have you seen him play', well, these guys seen them alot, and almost everyone I got to gave me first hand info.

Jon, this team has no right taking goalies with HL in the pipes and MANY other areas to be addressed now and in the future.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I get ya, I just have a hard time with this since I just got back from immersing myself in actual professional opinions regarding prospects. People always say 'how many times have you seen him play', well, these guys seen them alot, and almost everyone I got to gave me first hand info.

Jon, this team has no right taking goalies with HL in the pipes and MANY other areas to be addressed now and in the future.

This team has a right to do what they want. I trust our scouts. They have done a good job with minimal picks lately. No one we would have picked would have addressed any area for at least three years.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
This team has a right to do what they want. I trust our scouts. They have done a good job with minimal picks lately. No one we would have picked would have addressed any area for at least three years.

3 years, 5 years, That's not the point.

This player played in 19 games this year. 19 !!!! Thats it. Thats all we can go by and I doubt they even saw him in half of those games.

Small sample size anyway you slice it. To me, that's not nearly enough when you are surrounded by legit prospects even at the end of round 2.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
3 years, 5 years, That's not the point.

This player played in 19 games this year. 19 !!!! Thats it. Thats all we can go by and I doubt they even saw him in half of those games.

Small sample size anyway you slice it. To me, that's not nearly enough when you are surrounded by legit prospects even at the end of round 2.

Similar things were said about other picks that turned out great. I'd rather pick a kid who they see potential in than a falling rock in a pond (LaFleur). I didn't mind LaFleur because I expected Allaire to fix him. At least Halverson doesn't need fixing. Just needs developing.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Right now Cam Talbot is the Rangers insurance policy if something happens to Henrik. He is their only insurance policy. He will be a UFA in a year. The Rangers could offer him a great deal but that doesn't mean he'll take it if he thinks he can do better as far as $, term or playing time somewhere else.

If Halverson is as good as the Rangers scouts think and Benoit Allaire is going to work with him I think that bodes well for both him and us. He was our first pick in this draft and there were other areas that could have been addressed as well but still--bottom of the 2nd round--things had been picked through pretty good--and the lack of prospects in the most key position was a concern.

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
It's just great to hear that Gordie Clark screwed up yet another draft for the Rangers. Would this man have a job anywhere in the NHL outside of Slats' cronysphere?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Similar things were said about other picks that turned out great. I'd rather pick a kid who they see potential in than a falling rock in a pond (LaFleur). I didn't mind LaFleur because I expected Allaire to fix him. At least Halverson doesn't need fixing. Just needs developing.

19 games Jon, 19 :shakehead

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
Funny because the Rangers drafts have been pretty good under Gordie Clark.

Yep. The paper-thin dead-last ranked prospect list sure is a sign of good drafting! I seriously doubt that anyone the Rangers took this year will move the team up this list.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
And you hated that pick :laugh::laugh:

Come on, football is totally different and you know it.

Seriously, it is comical following this team, gotta laugh or I'd be crying :D

Football IS different. That's why it's even more shocking to draft a guy with 7 starts in the first round when you expect your first round guys to step in and play meaningful football right away. I brought up that pick for a number of reasons. Your complaints here are similar (yet they are weirder since hockey IS different).

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yep. The paper-thin 23rd ranked prospect list sure is a sign of good drafting! I seriously doubt that anyone the Rangers took this year will move the team up this list.

Yes. Us graduating players is meaningless and has nothing to do with our depth. Nothing. Nada. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Not sure why you'd fault Clark for not having us be able to move up the rankings this year without a first round pick. I didn't realize he was our GM.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Weak excuses.

So has LA and Chicago, yet they seem to not only have players and prospects but higher picks than us !!!

So you're comparing our success with the best in the league? Seems to me that that would be a compliment. Funnily enough, the champion Kings have a barren prospect pool like us.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
After I've had time to calm down from my Steven from youtube freakout I guess I'm alright with the pick. Just wasn't expecting a goalie-- let alone two-- at all.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
So you're comparing our success with the best in the league? Seems to me that that would be a compliment. Funnily enough, the champion Kings have a barren prospect pool like us.

Wasn't comparing them at all, you read it wrong.

And the Kings prospects are pretty good even with the graduates. The only draft they've messed up lately was when they took a goalie in the 2nd round with their first pick in the draft :D

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Not a fan of taking goalies this high but I do trust the organization and our scouts so yeah.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
When Talbot got hurt and Leneveu (or however you spell his name) was getting suited up, i bet all the ppl complaining about this pick were also cringing at what would happen if Henrik got hurt and we had to put him in.

Meanwhile the Habs lost Price and could put a competent goalie between the pipes.

I dont mind this pick at all.

not....one...bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad