Confirmed with Link: Rangers Select Brandon Halverson (G - OHL) with 59th Overall Pick

BearishRiggs

Mar 21, 2013
Because it's the OHL lol. Only guys who put up great numbers with a lot of playing time are Nedeljkovic and Stolarz. That's what I mean, you guys will look at the stats and criticize but scouts look at goalies way beyond just the numbers. Lot of mechanical things we can't see only looking at SV%.

First goalie taken was McDonald, look at his stats; http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=194200

Over this guy, who probably should've gone first: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=135425. He likely fell because of his size at 5'11.

So it's not purely stat based. If a good sized goalie has an incredible save percentage in the CHL, he's going in the first round.

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
Thanks for the link.

I knew the OHL was high scoring, but still surprising to see the save percentages that low. Though it also makes me question how good the CHL has done in general producing goalies in recent years. Not exactly a hotbed for talent.

Well it could be crappy goalies or it could be kids whose 1st priority isn't playing D. Hard to know without watching but I'd bet on the latter.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I've read he has great upside and terrific puck handling skills. However i think we could have gotten him in the next round

Yes I was hoping for a few others but it sounds like high risk/reward.

Does anybody have opinions on guys like: Warren Foegele, Luc Snuggerud Julien Pelletier, Alex Vanier? Thanks.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
The good thing about drafting the goalies is if both develop fairly quickly, the Rangers can trade them (or Lundqvist?) for hopefully future assets, or for immediate help.

I know Lundqvist will likely be a Ranger for a long time to come, but you never know what can happen (i.e. team goes into a downturn, Lundqvist hasn't won a Cup yet, may want a better chance to do so, etc.)

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The good thing about drafting the goalies is if both develop fairly quickly, the Rangers can trade them (or Lundqvist?) for hopefully future assets, or for immediate help.

I know Lundqvist will likely be a Ranger for a long time to come, but you never know what can happen (i.e. team goes into a downturn, Lundqvist hasn't won a Cup yet, may want a better chance to do so, etc.)

Right, because goalies have massive market value. :sarcasm:

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
I must say I'm really surprised people here actually are pissed over our two goalie picks, I could understand if you would have argue for other guys to be pick but that's not the case.. This is a perfect time to draft a couple of guys IMO.

Yes we Hank is signed for 7 years but with some bad luck he can easily drop significially in 5. The age norm for a skater to break in to the league is 21-23 and in most cases you can add a year or two for a goalie so they will be in that age when Hank contract is coming to an end.

Rask started to show his greatness behind Thomas when he was what, 24-25?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I must say I'm really surprised people here actually are pissed over our two goalie picks, I could understand if you would have argue for other guys to be pick but that's not the case.. This is a perfect time to draft a couple of guys IMO.

Yes we Hank is signed for 7 years but with some bad luck he can easily drop significially in 5. The age norm for a skater to break in to the league is 21-23 and in most cases you can add a year or two for a goalie so they will be in that age when Hank contract is coming to an end.

Rask started to show his greatness behind Thomas when he was what, 24-25?

Beyond Henrik just inking a 7 year deal, my main point can essentially be boiled down to this:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/trading-an-nhl-goalie-dont-expect-to-hit-a-home-run/

Limited trade market = you can always find a serviceable starter for cheap. I would rather have a 10% chance of a even 60 point forward on an ELC than a 50% chance of a serviceable goalie. Especially if you have a 3 year stretch without a first rounder. It's cliche on HF but this is certainly debatable asset management.

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
Beyond Henrik just inking a 7 year deal, my main point can essentially be boiled down to this:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/trading-an-nhl-goalie-dont-expect-to-hit-a-home-run/

Limited trade market = you can always find a serviceable starter for cheap. I would rather have a 10% chance of a even 60 point forward on an ELC than a 50% chance of a serviceable goalie. Especially if you have a 3 year stretch without a first rounder. It's cliche on HF but this is certainly debatable asset management.

I would hope the Rangers would aspire to better than "serviceable" unless you're happy with them wallowing in their usual mediocrity.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I would hope the Rangers would aspire to better than "serviceable" unless you're happy with them wallowing in their usual mediocrity.

I think the difference between elite and serviceable does not add enough to offset drafting <5-7 top 6 forwards in last decade. Put another way, I would rather invest 100% of my efforts in addressing the latter and securing the best G possible (via trade, UFA, mid-picks) as opposed to investing heavily in terms of a ton of picks on G. Such a hard position to scout as well...how many first round stud goalies do we see fail year after year? Just my opinion on how to do it.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo

Fair ponit although how many on that list do you really want as a starter and came cheap? That would be Bobrovsky, Bishop and a Vukoun on the last string.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Right, because goalies have massive market value. :sarcasm:

It was just a thought (albeit probably a lousy one). Would like them to maximize their assets. If they both develop, they should get something for one of them instead of having them waste away in the minors (or the KHL in the case of Shesterkin). If they turn into the next Antoine Lafleur, then this becomes moot.

KreiMeARiver*

don't like this pick AT ALL

We give away 1sts and we use our 2nd on a GOALIE???

WTF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad