Confirmed with Link: Rangers re-sign Henrik Lundqvist [7 years, $59.5M, $8.5M AAV, Full NMC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangersHank*

Give Lundqvist another million. I DO know that Lundqvist is NOT worth the $8.5MM he is going to be getting. Maybe I shoudl change my wording to, "He is not worth 15x the cap hit that Talbot is currently taking up." Does that make you happy?

What does Talbot have to do with Hanks contract? I'm confused

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@DarrenDreger: Should learn official salary cap projection for 2014-2015 at Board of Gov's today. Expected to be between $70 and $71 mil.”

Great news.

08-09: $6.875m of a $56.7m cap = 12.1% of team cap

14-15: $8.5m of a $70.5m cap = 12.05% of team cap

Hank's contract is now technically less than what it was with his old contract.

The cap will continue to rise, proof that this contract will not handicap the team going forward for the years to come.

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
“@DarrenDreger: Should learn official salary cap projection for 2014-2015 at Board of Gov's today. Expected to be between $70 and $71 mil.â€

Great news.

The cap will continue to rise, proof that this contract will not handicap the team going forward for the years to come.

It's always somewhat of a handicap... You could go with a general type of goalie around a couple of million and have an extra 6.5

It always just comes down to how you choose to spend your money. If you give a goalie a lot of money, you are in a position where you have that much less to give to other positions. It's as simple as that... With an 8.5 million dollar goalie, that means you have several million less to give other positions compared to what most other teams are doing.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
It's always somewhat of a handicap... You could go with a general type of goalie around a couple of million and have an extra 6.5

It always just comes down to how you choose to spend your money. If you give a goalie a lot of money, you are in a position where you have that much less to give to other positions. It's as simple as that... With an 8.5 million dollar goalie, that means you have several million less to give other positions compared to what most other teams are doing.

It wasn't a handicap for us when we were able to give guys like Drury and Gomez and Redden their deals. Point is the higher the cap goes the less of an issue it is.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

Henrik's contract leaves 87.95% of the cap available to the rest of the team. For our best player, I would say 12.05% is fairly low.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
“@DarrenDreger: Should learn official salary cap projection for 2014-2015 at Board of Gov's today. Expected to be between $70 and $71 mil.â€

Great news.

12% is still too much for a goalie. And, that percentage goes down IF the cap continues to rise.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
What does Talbot have to do with Hanks contract? I'm confused

Simple. One is being paid less than $1MM to play, the other is going to be paid $8.5MM to play. With that in mind, the guy getting $8.5MM better be MUCH better than the guy getting less than a million.

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
It wasn't a handicap for us when we were able to give guys like Drury and Gomez and Redden their deals. Point is the higher the cap goes the less of an issue it is.

If you sign the wrong guys then it's always bad..

But yes, the comment that with the cap going up, it becomes less of an issue.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Haha, the stats. Besides, only worth it if he improves on those stats over the next 7 years. It's ok, let him keep getting scored on by guys like Cam Janssens and Jason Chimera and talk about how his stats make him great.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Haha, the stats. Besides, only worth it if he improves on those stats over the next 7 years. It's ok, let him keep getting scored on by guys like Cam Janssens and Jason Chimera and talk about how his stats make him great.

Yeah, Cam Janssen sure beat him fair and square. How does the alternate reality that you currently live in feel? :laugh:

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Looking up some of his numbers, and I am not as impressed as some of you make him out to be.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/lundqhe01.html

scroll to the bottom.

Finished in the top-10 in save % 6 times and top 5 only 3? That gets you $8.5MM per year?

GAA, never been better than 5th.

Shutouts he has been top 3, 4 times. Although, that could be a negative. The shutouts might skewing his GAA. Maybe I will have to do a study where I calculate GAA for each goalie in games where they did not have a shutout and see how much their GAA rises. Could show the inconsistencies.

And, I won't get into his Mr Softee specials, unfortunately, the league doesn't keep track of those.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Yeah, Cam Janssen sure beat him fair and square. How does the alternate reality that you currently live in feel? :laugh:

He did. You are allowed to direct the puck in with your skate. Not allowed to kick at it, the criteria is if there is a swing of the foot/leg.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
He did. You are allowed to direct the puck in with your skate. Not allowed to kick at it, the criteria is if there is a swing of the foot/leg.

We get that...but it's still a crap way to get scored on and not exactly something you can put on a goalie.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Looking up some of his numbers, and I am not as impressed as some of you make him out to be.

scroll to the bottom.

Finished in the top-10 in save % 6 times and top 5 only 3? That gets you $8.5MM per year?

Shutouts he has been top 3, 4 times. Although, that could be a negative. The shutouts might skewing his GAA. Maybe I will have to do a study where I calculate GAA for each goalie in games where they did not have a shutout and see how much their GAA rises. Could show the inconsistencies.

And, I won't get into his Mr Softee specials, unfortunately, the league doesn't keep track of those.

You can hate his contract, but there hasn't been a better netminder since the lockout. There's most certainly a premium for that kind of consistency. And he would have gotten more in free-agency.

Some people can't learn to appreciate what they have. :facepalm:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
This place sure is entertaining. :laugh::help:

It's about as entertaining as when you can never place any blame on the guy ;)

You're both wrong here, really.

Hank is struggling and not playing well (which you won't admit) and he's not the most overrated player ever in the history of players which patnyrnyg won't admit.

The reality, as always, lies in the middle.

Hank is having a down year so far and letting in a number of soft goals. However, he's still worth a fairly high contract. I think he's slightly overpaid as to grossly overpaid, though. Hopefully the cap continues to rise and this never, ever becomes an issue. I think it's more likely than not that it will do just that (however, this is obviously still just an assumption and with QE likely coming to an end we may not see as big of a jump).

KreiMeARiver*

scroll to the bottom.

:shakehead wow

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
It also should be noted that Hank got every dollar he could out of NYR. Every damn penny.

I love Hank, wanted him back, and have no problem with the contract. But other players have given their home town team a discount.

Just something to think about when he talks about winning in NY. I believe it, but taking less money would have proven that more.

He needs to be better. A lot better. Saturday' last two goals were a joke, and yesterday's 2nd goal probably didn't matter in the end cause it was one of the worst team games we've played in awhile but that goal was a backbreaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad