Confirmed with Link: Rangers re-sign Chris Kreider ($4.625 AAV / 4 years)

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
He'd have wanted more money if it were for 5 years. For one, he might get better. Two, It's one more years of UFA. Three, the cap will almost certainly be higher in 4 years, so prices will go up.

Which is fine. Anything at or under 5/25 I would have signed with no questions asked. Moot point anyway since Kreider didn't want to go 5 which is really odd to me. I think it would have been smarter to lock in a deal for that potential lockout season and load it up with signing bonuses.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Which is fine. Anything at or under 5/25 I would have signed with no questions asked. Moot point anyway since Kreider didn't want to go 5 which is really odd to me. I think it would have been smarter to lock in a deal for that potential lockout season and load it up with signing bonuses.

Yeah, I found that odd as well. The only thing I can think of is that his agent(s) think(s) that a lockout is unlikely and that Chris hitting FA as a 29 year old will allow him to sign a better deal than as someone who's got a 3 at the front of his age. Bad gamble if you ask me.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
This was a great signing for the Rangers given the 2 UFA years.

Kreider brought this on himself though because he had a weak contact year, but hopefully, he will really wants to show the world what he's worth, so this is great for the Rangers.

Why wouldn't he have wanted to show his worth leading up to a new contract this season?

Hopefully, this makes him the player we all wish he was.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah, I found that odd as well. The only thing I can think of is that his agent(s) think(s) that a lockout is unlikely and that Chris hitting FA as a 29 year old will allow him to sign a better deal than as someone who's got a 3 at the front of his age. Bad gamble if you ask me.

If there's a lock out he wouldnt get paid whether he is under a contract or a UFA. Moreover, with a favorable buyouts that owners could be expected to receive and take advantage to clear cap space, Kreider could get a lucrative final career contract

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
If there's a lock out he wouldnt get paid whether he is under a contract or a UFA. Moreover, with a favorable buyouts that owners could be expected to receive and take advantage to clear cap space, Kreider could get a lucrative final career contract

Bonuses are guaranteed. He gets paid those bonuses whether a second of hockey is played or not.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Bonuses are guaranteed. He gets paid those bonuses whether a second of hockey is played or not.

Makes sense. Then it becomes a comparative analysis of guaranteed bonus $$ or potential new contract raise in the first year of the new labor agreement.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

You're missing an important wrinkle. Yes, he would not be paid any SALARY in the event the league locked out the players prior to the start of that final season. But he would be paid the BONUSES due to him earlier that summer. Which is why, if you look at the deals that guys like Lucic and Eriksson signed, they get paid significant portions of their pay in the form of bonuses each year - agents have figured out that it's a good way to insulate their clients with lockout protection, thus ensuring that they get the vast majority of the pay for that year, even if the teams don't play.

Which is why if I were Chris's agent, I would have advised him to go for one more year at $5.5MM or so. In event of a lockout, that could be the difference between getting, say, $4.5MM in guaranteed cash, and getting nothing. And would it really have made that big of a difference? Eriksson just got 6 x $6MM at 30 years old vs. the 7 x $6MM given to both Lucic and Okposo at 28. If Kreids gets paid $5.5MM for the fifth year of a deal with the NYR, sure he might be sacrificing $500k-$1.0MM in upside, BUT he could be locking in a floor of $4.5MM - which in the face of a possible lockout and ZERO dollars, would be a lot more attractive to me...

I mean, I guess they're anticipating that he'll re-up during the year, or that the FA period that summer will proceed normally in the face of an impending lockout, or simply that there won't be a lockout at all - but personally, I wouldn't have risked it.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
You're missing an important wrinkle. Yes, he would not be paid any SALARY in the event the league locked out the players prior to the start of that final season. But he would be paid the BONUSES due to him earlier that summer. Which is why, if you look at the deals that guys like Lucic and Eriksson signed, they get paid significant portions of their pay in the form of bonuses each year - agents have figured out that it's a good way to insulate their clients with lockout protection, thus ensuring that they get the vast majority of the pay for that year, even if the teams don't play.

Which is why if I were Chris's agent, I would have advised him to go for one more year at $5.5MM or so. In event of a lockout, that could be the difference between getting, say, $4.5MM in guaranteed cash, and getting nothing. And would it really have made that big of a difference? Eriksson just got 6 x $6MM at 30 years old vs. the 7 x $6MM given to both Lucic and Okposo at 28. If Kreids gets paid $5.5MM for the fifth year of a deal with the NYR, sure he might be sacrificing $500k-$1.0MM in upside, BUT he could be locking in a floor of $4.5MM - which in the face of a possible lockout and ZERO dollars, would be a lot more attractive to me...

I mean, I guess they're anticipating that he'll re-up during the year, or that the FA period that summer will proceed normally in the face of an impending lockout or simply that there won't be a lockout at all - but personally, I wouldn't have risked it.

That is what I was trying to say

July 1st free agent day

Bonuses that are due prior to September 15th paid

September 15th would be the work stoppage date.

Technically, the NHL's Collective Bargaining Agreement runs through Sept. 15, 2022 - or shortly before the opening of training camps for the 2022-23 season. But either the NHL or NHLPA can opt out of the agreement on Sept. 15, 2020.

That's why quite a few players, like Stepan, have negotiated hefty signing bonuses to be paid on July 1, 2020 - before any side could possibly opt out.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-s-doomsday-preppers-1.337268

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Kreider was interviewed on the NHL Network last night and admitted he needs to get to the net with more consistency, as well as opening up space for his linemates.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Even though it's probably the worst kept secret on this forum, i'll just say that Chris Kreider is my favorite Rangers player, and has been since the moment he stepped on to MSG ice.... I've got a feeling he's going to tear it up this year.

KreiderHouseRules*

Need to see him look for his shot more.

He looked like he was starting to do that last preseason and then totally got away from it.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I hope he fired his sports psychologist. It didn't help him at all. :shakehead

It was lame.

I heard his interview on Blueshirts Bulletin and he really stood in front of some really hard questions.

The thing that peaked my interest the most is that how Chris... who was pushed by the media intellectually... remember that's who Chris is.... really answered frankly.

He acknowledged knowing what makes him good. Makes him effective.

He knows he didn't do enough of that.

Talked a lot about his physical gifts... really engaging more consistently... playing a simplified game... Literally and emphatically mentioned North/South.

Wanting to be a Bully out there. Having a pitbull mentality. Whatever that means.

Chris probably has to treat each shift like a good rep at the gym. Just go hard.

It will be interesting to see... that interview was the first time I ever saw Chris Kreider the man.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Need to see him look for his shot more.

He looked like he was starting to do that last preseason and then totally got away from it.

I remember being extremely pumped last preseason after seeing some of the shots he was making. Unfortunately it never went anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad