Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 8.7.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If the Rangers had any faith in DeAngelo they would not have used their third, first round pick on a righty defenseman in Lundkvist when the system is light on wings. Most scouting reports state that Lundkvist is mature for his age and played well against men already. Shattenkirk isn't waiving anything on his contract. He wanted to be here. He took less to be here. Pionk looks like he might be a keeper. So basically, once Lundqkvist is ready, DeAngelo is the 0dd man out anyway.

Well, I guess we have no faith in Zibanejad either, since we drafted some centers. And we have no faith in Shestyorkin, because we drafted a goalie. :laugh:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If the Rangers had any faith in DeAngelo they would not have used their third, first round pick on a righty defenseman in Lundkvist when the system is light on wings. Most scouting reports state that Lundkvist is mature for his age and played well against men already. Shattenkirk isn't waiving anything on his contract. He wanted to be here. He took less to be here. Pionk looks like he might be a keeper. So basically, once Lundqkvist is ready, DeAngelo is the 0dd man out anyway.

I wouldn't read too much into how the Rangers drafted being indicative of how they feel about some of their younger talent.

The objective is to find talent who will make it to the NHL and, ideally, perform at a high level. If they also happen to play a position of organization weakness, that's a bonus. But it's not really the driving force.

In the case of the 2018 draft, a lot of the talents they took are going to be a little further out. In other words, Miller, Lundkvist and Lindbom are not expected to be competing for NHL roster spots a year from now. So no one drafted this past June is seen as a replacement or challenger for anyone at the moment.

There's a lot of hockey and a lot of terrain to be navigated between now and when some of these kids might be ready.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If nothing else the rangers will have a lot of defensemen gunning for spots soon...not all of them will make it but hopefully we'll end up with a solid group and work on finding that top end guy to cap it off

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If nothing else the rangers will have a lot of defensemen gunning for spots soon...not all of them will make it but hopefully we'll end up with a solid group and work on finding that top end guy to cap it off

I rather spread my chances. Having 15 defensemen fighting for 3 spots might be the best thing for us in the absence of a true elite D-man.

Reactions: bobbop

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I rather spread my chances. Having 15 defensemen fighting for 3 spots might be the best thing for us in the absence of a true elite D-man.

oh for sure. You either get real lucky with pick outside the top 5 or so, or you get a high pick and spend it on a elite D man. Until either happen, the Rangers just need to work on filling their roster with the best talent they can bring in and not worry about "oh no we have too many defensemen to fit on the roster"

Reactions: Cag29

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
oh for sure. You either get real lucky with pick outside the top 5 or so, or you get a high pick and spend it on a elite D man. Until either happen, the Rangers just need to work on filling their roster with the best talent they can bring in and not worry about "oh no we have too many defensemen to fit on the roster"

Bring in 15 D-men, and your chances are that 1 of them turns into a top-pair guy. It isn't a guarantee, but look at how we acquired McDonagh...

Reactions: Cag29

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Bring in 15 D-men, and your chances are that 1 of them turns into a top-pair guy. It isn't a guarantee, but look at how we acquired McDonagh...

Their league value is through the roof. If you have a high end D prospect, you can get a lot. Look at what Nashville has churned out with their defense.

They traded away SETH JONES, who is an amazing defender now, for a 1C and look what they still have (the best defense in the league).

Reactions: Cag29 and cheech70

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Nashville traded away (or let walk) Suter, Weber, Jones, yet still have arguably the best defense in the league.

That's some damn fine scouting and development

Though to be fair they traded Weber for a better player but that also goes into evaluating scouting and all that

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I wouldn't read too much into how the Rangers drafted being indicative of how they feel about some of their younger talent.
The objective is to find talent who will make it to the NHL and, ideally, perform at a high level. If they also happen to play a position of organization weakness, that's a bonus. But it's not really the driving force.
In the case of the 2018 draft, a lot of the talents they took are going to be a little further out. In other words, Miller, Lundkvist and Lindbom are not expected to be competing for NHL roster spots a year from now. So no one drafted this past June is seen as a replacement or challenger for anyone at the moment.
There's a lot of hockey and a lot of terrain to be navigated between now and when some of these kids might be ready.

This.
Even with a 1st rounder, you cannot assume a drafted player will be an impact player in less than 4 years (.. yes you can hope)
if you end up with a glut, you trade from strength to fill a need.
and there is perhaps no more consistently marketable position in NHL than RHD
(rarer maybe are top 6 C's, but no one would consider such depth, if they had it, to be an issue)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This.
Even with a 1st rounder, you cannot assume a drafted player will be an impact player in less than 4 years (.. yes you can hope)
if you end up with a glut, you trade from strength to fill a need.
and there is perhaps no more consistently marketable position in NHL than RHD
(rarer maybe are top 6 C's, but no one would consider such depth, if they had it, to be an issue)

Even if all of these kids make an impact at the NHL 4 years from now, you're talking about the 2022 season.

Shattenkirk's current contract is up a year prior.

ADA would be 26 going on 27 years old at that point. He's either a fixture on the blue line, or a memory at that point.

Pionk would be 27, Skjei 28, Smith 33 --- if they are still on the team.

I'm really not even thinking about it at this point, let alone concerned.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Their league value is through the roof. If you have a high end D prospect, you can get a lot. Look at what Nashville has churned out with their defense.

They traded away SETH JONES, who is an amazing defender now, for a 1C and look what they still have (the best defense in the league).

They lost Suter, Jones, Weber and look at them haha. Poile is a magician

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Official reminder...many of the best defensemen in the NHL were picked in the late first, second and third rounds.
And the ones picked at the very top bust or become mediocre at an alarming rate. Here are the top-5 picks between 2005-2014:

Jack Johnson (2005, 3rd)
Erik Johnson (2006, 1st)
Thomas Hickey (2007, 4th)
Karl Alzner (2007, 5th)
Drew Doughty (2008, 2nd)
Zach Bogosian (2008, 3rd)
Alex Pietrangelo (2008, 4th)
Luke Schenn (2008, 5th)
Victor Hedman (2009, 2nd)
Erik Gudbranson (2010, 3rd)
Adam Larsson (2011, 4th)
Ryan Murray (2012, 2nd)
Griffin Reinhart (2012, 4th)
Morgan Rielly (2012, 5th)
Seth Jones (2013, 4th)
Aaron Ekblad (2014, 1st)

Of these I'd say the only ones not considered disappointing are Doughty, Pietrangelo, Hedman, Rielly and Jones (5/16, 31%). I really like Ekblad, but I get that he's viewed as disappointing for a 1OA.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
And the ones picked at the very top bust or become mediocre at an alarming rate. Here are the top-5 picks between 2005-2014:

Jack Johnson (2005, 3rd)
Erik Johnson (2006, 1st)
Thomas Hickey (2007, 4th)
Karl Alzner (2007, 5th)
Drew Doughty (2008, 2nd)
Zach Bogosian (2008, 3rd)
Alex Pietrangelo (2008, 4th)
Luke Schenn (2008, 5th)
Victor Hedman (2009, 2nd)
Erik Gudbranson (2010, 3rd)
Adam Larsson (2011, 4th)
Ryan Murray (2012, 2nd)
Griffin Reinhart (2012, 4th)
Morgan Rielly (2012, 5th)
Seth Jones (2013, 4th)
Aaron Ekblad (2014, 1st)

Of these I'd say the only ones not considered disappointing are Doughty, Pietrangelo, Hedman, Rielly and Jones (5/16, 31%). I really like Ekblad, but I get that he's viewed as disappointing for a 1OA.

Those Johnson & Ekblad picks... woof

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Ekblad going 1st overall was the right pick at the time. Injuries absolutely negatively impacted his development.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Ekblad going 1st overall was the right pick at the time. Injuries absolutely negatively impacted his development.

I am going to go on record as saying that he will have a nice bounce back season this year. He was quietly pretty good last year. A full healthy off-season for him will be very good and he is still so young

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad