Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
One of the nice things about getting a coach from the college ranks is he is much less likely to be concerned about “traditional” NHL roles or have favorite vets he’ll defer to (or advocate signing). I suppose we might have to worry a bit about anyone he coached or recruited in college, but unless I’m mistaken, we don’t have any of his current or former players. We should see a roster that’s pretty merit based.

Yeah, lets see about if fans will feel like this a month in... ;)

A coach will always look at things a bit differently than a fan. We see very little downside and more potential. From a coach POV, something that doesn't work will fail really really hard. Sure NHL players are so well coached and good overall right now that the puzzle is a little easier to add up -- but from a fans perspective 'playing X on the 1st line' can be braindead and have zero upside while the coach is afraid that the 1st without X won't be able to play up to standard in the necessary areas.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
2018 Report Card: Vinni Lettieri and Boo Nieves

I think Boo is definitely a good fit with new coach/system, but the shoot first Lettieri not so much.

Good observation, you could be right.

With that said, Lettieri from my POV really aced it last season. He grew so much during the season. He should push it next season no matter what. But Quinn could in an everything else equal scenario definitely opt towards someone a little bit more calm and collected with the puck, as well as someone who is a little bit more fleet on his skates and will carry a bit more speed into the backcheck.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
i wonder if Lettieri can play center at this level.. would be exciting to see Vesey-Lietteri-Fast as 4th line.. very up tempo and can contribute

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Good observation, you could be right.

With that said, Lettieri from my POV really aced it last season. He grew so much during the season. He should push it next season no matter what. But Quinn could in an everything else equal scenario definitely opt towards someone a little bit more calm and collected with the puck, as well as someone who is a little bit more fleet on his skates and will carry a bit more speed into the backcheck.

really, Lettieri aced it? or you being sarcastic? I maybe missed a few games, but I wasn't too impressed with his play from what I saw.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Remember the expectation with Lettieri was that he'd likely be an AHL player. That he was able to show anything positive and redeeming at the NHL in his first professional season was a great sign.

OK, but from what I have seen he looked like an AHLer and 1 goal in 19 games played not so impressive for a scorer/shooter.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Lettieri had 23 goals in 55 AHL games in his first pro season. That’s a fantastic season from a college UDFA, and he’ll probably be a tweener this year before solidifying a spot in 19-20. He should he a good depth winger that’s a 2nd unit PP trigger option

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
OK, but from what I have seen he looked like an AHLer and 1 goal in 19 games played not so impressive for a scorer/shooter.
When you look at the totality of his year--great in the AHL, serviceable in the NHL, it's an excellent rookie season. He looks like a guy who with further refinement could become a legitimate regular NHL contributor within a season or two. It's hard to not be pleased with his year, IMO anyway.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I like that he fought Smith. Will be interesting seeing if he made any improvements during the summer after getting a taste of NHL. But I still have Nieves ahead of him, Boo impressed me a lot more

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
When you look at the totality of his year--great in the AHL, serviceable in the NHL, it's an excellent rookie season. He looks like a guy who with further refinement could become a legitimate regular NHL contributor within a season or two. It's hard to not be pleased with his year, IMO anyway.

His assist totals were somewhat disappointing in AHL.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Lettieri has a lot to improve on if he wants to be an NHL regular. His shoot first attitude was a breath of fresh air on the team, but he made a ton of poor decisions and might be the only Ranger that really needs to focus on using his teammates more. Think he has the tools and attitude to make it as a bottom 6 energy guy who can contribute on the PP with his shooting, but this year he really needs to improve his all around game to make that happen.

Reactions: Off Sides

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Lettieri has a lot to improve on if he wants to be an NHL regular. His shoot first attitude was a breath of fresh air on the team, but he made a ton of poor decisions and might be the only Ranger that really needs to focus on using his teammates more. Think he has the tools and attitude to make it as a bottom 6 energy guy who can contribute on the PP with his shooting, but this year he really needs to improve his all around game to make that happen.

For sure. He's a bit of an "all over the place" player at the NHL level who doesn't quite accomplish as much as the effort shows, but he could grow into a decent bottom six role

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
The European kids we signed (Meskanen + Lindqvist) are both right-handed shots with decent goal scoring numbers in Europe. Seems like the organization has identified a need for that kind of player in our bottom 6 + maybe PP2 without being overly high on Lettieri.

Honestly if all three of them are good in the AHL it's a win.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I thought Lettieri was horrible at the nhl level. Lot to improve on. Very good ahler though. The two righty euros added along with ronning are direct competition for him. Sink or swim time.

Reactions: Bozle

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
The European kids we signed (Meskanen + Lindqvist) are both right-handed shots with decent goal scoring numbers in Europe. Seems like the organization has identified a need for that kind of player in our bottom 6 + maybe PP2 without being overly high on Lettieri.

Honestly if all three of them are good in the AHL it's a win.

because of the new coach and a rebuild I am fairly confident they will get a very good chance to make the team this year. Not sure if they will be successful or not but they will likely get plenty of games.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I thought Lettieri was horrible at the nhl level. Lot to improve on. Very good ahler though. The two righty euros added along with ronning are direct competition for him. Sink or swim time.

Lettieri is right at the crossroad for me.

If he can tweak some things, I believe he has a shot as an energy guy who can pop in some points.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
There is more risk involved due to a number of factors, and that risk can lower a prospects stock.
  • A marginal NHL player who is Russian has way more earning potential in the KHL. Why not go make more money at home?
  • Some teams may not have the means to have a large scouting presence in Russia.
  • Relations between the USA and Russia have been lukewarm at best.
  • Teams have less control over their prospects in Russia. Extreme case, but Cherapanov would be alive today if the arena he was playing in had an AED. Thats a standard thing to have in athletic facilities in North America.

OTOH it can be a great way to find prospects who have fallen farther than they should have.

Buchnevich for example.

While there definitely are people out these who are biased against Russians for one reason or another, I think its reasonable to be apprehensive about picking Russians (who aren't surefire stars) because independent from the player, there is inherent risk involved.
The Russian Factor is way, way overblown. The salary cap for the KHL is less than 1/4 of the NHL's salary cap.

And sure, Kovalchuk was making $5.5M tax-free, but he's that league's highest paid player, and the salaries quickly ramp down from there. Only 30 players in that league even make above $1M per year. For the vast majority of players, the NHL represents an opportunity to make far more, and live a far better lifestyle than in Russia. Better accommodations, better facilities, and better training staff and doctors.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
He had a hot start and that built up his reputation with people.. after that tho he was mediocre at best. I do think with the current lineup he plays nhl minutes. I want to see how freeagency and the draft go before I pencil him in tho

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Absolutely nothing wrong with a young player pushing for the first team and making himself part of the conversation like Lettieri. Wish Tambo would do that. Anyway, training camp is going to be great this year with so many spots open. During our last success ru n, maybe 1-3 positions were open every year and the rest penciled in. The battles will go beyond the 7D and 13th F, this is what we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad