Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 6.16.22)

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Boyko and Grubbe will play WHL next season, Garand, Korczak, Rempe likely graduate to Hartford
Cuylle will be in Hartford most likely and Othmann I feel will get a 9 game look to see if he can stick with the NHL pace.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I don't think I saw this on this thread but Gerry Canton reports in the June 3 edition of Howlings reports that Simon Kjellberg has transferred to Northern Michigan.

"Rangers prospect defenseman Simon Kjellberg, the son of scout Patric Kjellberg, has left RPI (ECACHL) for the greener pastures of Northern Michigan."

Reactions: nyr2k2 and cwede

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Reactions: Leetch3

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
What does the transfer mean for Kjellberg? Better opportunity and development?
Tough to say, some years ECAC (where he was) has stronger teams at the top than the CCHA (where he's going), but it can also flip. I would say that top to bottom, CCHA is a little stronger? Fewer teams and fewer crappy teams.

As far as Northern Michigan, they've been better in the past few years but are still generally mediocre. I am not intimately familiar with their roster, but taking a quick glance, Kjellberg should plug in and have a pretty big role right away. Northern Michigan is not any kind of developmental powerhouse; to my knowledge they only have one drafted player on their roster and none of the other guys are really looking like potential picks (though IDK about their incoming recruits).

Reactions: RGY

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Tough to say, some years ECAC (where he was) has stronger teams at the top than the CCHA (where he's going), but it can also flip. I would say that top to bottom, CCHA is a little stronger? Fewer teams and fewer crappy teams.

As far as Northern Michigan, they've been better in the past few years but are still generally mediocre. I am not intimately familiar with their roster, but taking a quick glance, Kjellberg should plug in and have a pretty big role right away. Northern Michigan is not any kind of developmental powerhouse; to my knowledge they only have one drafted player on their roster and none of the other guys are really looking like potential picks (though IDK about their incoming recruits).

His younger brother Joel will join UNM as well.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
He's going to a better team for sure. RPI has a good coach but it doesn't seem like the administration likes the hockey team and the team lost a lot of their top scorers who had eligibility remaining.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I don't think I saw this on this thread but Gerry Canton reports in the June 3 edition of Howlings reports that Simon Kjellberg has transferred to Northern Michigan.

"Rangers prospect defenseman Simon Kjellberg, the son of scout Patric Kjellberg, has left RPI (ECACHL) for the greener pastures of Northern Michigan."
Is there any penalty phase when a college athlete switches schools.
Recall something about Larry Byrd having to sit a year after he transferred.(?)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think that penalty was waived because of Covid. I assume that's still the case.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

I think that penalty was waived because of Covid. I assume that's still the case.
The rules have been eased in general, and pretty much set aside for players on teams affected by Covid. Also eligibility, and related team draft control, has been extended for covid affected players.
Kjellberg could play 2 more NCAA seasons, and NYR would retain rights while he was enrolled, but he'll be 23 by next summer

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Sorry. Dupe post. Sometimes HF site a bit wonky posting from phone

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
@cwede is correct that the NCAA has relaxed a lot of rules during the COVID pandemic. However, they also passed a one-time transfer rule, allowing athletes in football, basketball, hockey, and the smattering of other sports that had those one-year ineligibility periods for guys who transferred, basically a waiver. So now, anyone can transfer once without having to sit out a year. This particular change was actually in response to the recent court rulings and increasing scrutiny that the NCAA has faced from the judicial and legislative branches of government regarding how they restrict players.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Fyi Chicago in AHL Calder Cup finals,
seems same 6 D have played all 14 games to-date,
Keane playing all,
Tarmo none

Reactions: nyr2k2

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Top to bottom the CCHA is probably a better league but RPI did play 44 games last year and the top end of the ECAC (Harvard, Clarkson, Quinnipiac, Cornell) figures to be pretty competitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad