Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 5.24.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You know that’s not what was meant. It was don’t waste top round picks on goalies we don’t need when better skaters are available.
Tampa would disagree. So would a number of other teams.

The general rule is not to draft a goalie nearly. But there are exceptions to all rules. You are looking at one this year. If the Rangers draft outside the top 5, I have no problem with Wallstedt being the choice. Zero.

Reactions: eco's bones

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

The general rule is not to draft a goalie nearly. But there are exceptions to all rules. You are looking at one this year. If the Rangers draft outside the top 5, I have no problem with Wallstedt being the choice. Zero.
I have a massive problem with this. You do not draft goalies in the 1st round. Thats investing too much in a position that takes at minimum 2-3 year of development before turning pro. More over 5 years.

Igor has been good. He is the goalie for the next 5-10 years. They can draft another goalie in the 4th round or later.

Its only 1-2 months into the season for the NHL, AHL, and Junior leagues. The Rangers have a lot of goalies in their system as is;

Wall
Huska
Garand
Lindbom :help:
Olof the giant

And again thats not even taking into consideration that you already have Igor AND Georgiev at 24-25 years old. There is still promise with Wall. Garand has good upside. Heck even Huska could be a serviceable backup in the NHL in 2-3 years. He started off hot last year and then tailed off.

The Rangers better be drafting a C or LD with their 1st round pick this year. And if they aren’t its because they traded it for Jack Eichel.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015

Right, but in this scenario we weren’t passing on Vals, Knight or price. There were better skaters in positions of need available. He also wasn’t seen as the top rated goalie and can’t miss prospect.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If we drafted Wallstedt I would literally break all of the things close to me in the room. That would be insanity. Knowing that guys like Johnson, Raty, Sillinger, or even Beniers could be available when we pick with our glaring lack of center depth, of we took a goalie I would be apoplectic.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I have a massive problem with this. You do not draft goalies in the 1st round. Thats investing too much in a position that takes at minimum 2-3 year of development before turning pro. More over 5 years.

Igor has been good. He is the goalie for the next 5-10 years. They can draft another goalie in the 4th round or later.

Its only 1-2 months into the season for the NHL, AHL, and Junior leagues. The Rangers have a lot of goalies in their system
NONE of who you mention are for to carry Wallstedt’ s jock strap. On pure talent, the kid can be the 1OA in this draft. In fact we’re I a betting man, I would put all the money on him being the prospect in this draft that hits the “elite” status.

There is also a 7 year age difference between Shesterkin and Wallstedt. So if you do not want to be locked into a long term deal with an aging goalie, this is how you do it.

Between what is here and on the system on defense and possibly adding a Wallstedt, you set the franchise up for success for the next 10 years.

Would I take him top-5? Probably not. Would I take him after that? Easily.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If we drafted Wallstedt I would literally break all of the things close to me in the room. That would be insanity. Knowing that guys like Johnson, Raty, Sillinger, or even Beniers could be available when we pick with our glaring lack of center depth, of we took a goalie I would be apoplectic.
Gun to head, naturally I am taking Beniers. And that is believing that he probably never reaches 1C status. Johnson? Yeah we can debate that. There is no debate to me on Raty or Sillinger. They may have nice careers but will be dwarfed by Wallstedt

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
NONE of who you mention are for to carry Wallstedt’ s jock strap. On pure talent, the kid can be the 1OA in this draft. In fact we’re I a betting man, I would put all the money on him being the prospect in this draft that hits the “elite” status.

There is also a 7 year age difference between Shesterkin and Wallstedt. So if you do not want to be locked into a long term deal with an aging goalie, this is how you do it.

Between what is here and on the system on defense and possibly adding a Wallstedt, you set the franchise up for success for the next 10 years.

You can talk about the talent Wallstedt has all day long. Goalies still take years to develop. This team has multiple top picks on the roster right now and we need Center / LD help far and above goaltending help. Why are we investing a potential top 10 draft slot in a goalie right now?? I am not denying Wallstedt’s talent or potential long term... but we are not a team with a black hole at the goaltending position. Stanley Cups have been won with slightly above average goaltending. We need Center help in the worst way and were talking about using a 1st round pick on a goalie... i mean... thats just bizarre.

Reactions: Daves a mess

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That’s not what the discussion was about. It was about us using a 2nd on a goalie we didn’t need and wasn’t in that tier. Not sure why you keep ignoring that part.
Because stating hin sets up the franchise for long term success. And in drafting him too get one of the best, if not the best player on the entire draft

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We need Center help in the worst way and were talking about using a 1st round pick on a goalie... i mean... thats just bizarre.
There is nothing bizarre about taking BPA in the draft. And that can easily be Wallstedt before a single name is called. Yeah, he’s THAT good.

We may need help at center, but aside from Beneirs there is no center that is going to help the team for the next 4 years or so. No center is jumping into the league from this years class. Even Beneirs. And he is the only one that I would say has a shot to be in the league over the next 2-3 years and even with that you may be waiting even longer for the offense to come.

Want to say goalies need 5 years to develop? Ok. That works well with Shesterkin here. Make no mistake. Aside from Igor, there is NO ONE in the system like Wallstedt. Not even close. He is also THAT much better than Knight or Askarov. And the latter is THAT much better than the former

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
By the way, here's the spread of current starting goalies (determined by GP) by draft round:

1st: 5
2nd: 8 (2 of these 8 were actually drafted 31st when there were 30 teams)
3rd: 6
4th: 4
5th: 2
6th: 2
7th: 1
8th: 1 (Rinne was drafted when there was still an 8th round)
UDFA: 2

None of the 5 first rounder, plus the 2 31st overall, starting goalies currently playing were drafted after 2012.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I would argue that this is absolutely NOT how you do it. You do it by drafting 1 goalie in every single draft in the 2-4 rounds and sometimes a second one in 5-7.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would argue that this is absolutely NOT how you do it. You do it by drafting 1 goalie in every single draft in the 2-4 rounds and sometimes a second one in 5-7.
Also a fair view. I just think Wallstedt is the one you make an exception for.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Also a fair view. I just think Wallstedt is the one you make an exception for.

I think if the Rangers already had an aging goalie, you might be right, but there's plenty of time to find a quality one later in the draft. Meanwhile, there are plenty of other places the Rangers can improve their organizational depth.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
There is nothing bizarre about taking BPA in the draft. And that can easily be Wallstedt before a single name is called. Yeah, he’s THAT good.

We may need help at center, but aside from Beneirs there is no center that is going to help the team for the next 4 years or so. No center is jumping into the league from this years class. Even Beneirs. And he is the only one that I would say has a shot to be in the league over the next 2-3 years and even with that you may be waiting even longer for the offense to come.

Want to say goalies need 5 years to develop? Ok. That works well with Shesterkin here. Make no mistake. Aside from Igor, there is NO ONE in the system like Wallstedt. Not even close. He is also THAT much better than Knight or Askarov. And the latter is THAT much better than the former
The part about the Centers in this draft is frankly just your opinion.

Yes I agree no center is playing in the league next year. But in 2 years? 3? This is a league that is getting younger and younger at the skater position. Not the goalie position.

Wallstedt can be all he is chalked up to be, but this team is trying to move forward right now in the next 1-2 years while they have their best young players on ELCs and their 2nd contracts. Not in 4-5 years when the roster may look entirely different due to cap casualties.

And you ignores the part about not needing an “elite” goalie to reach the ultimate end goal, which is a cup. Igor is certainly more than good enough AND I see him being here the next 5-7 years at minimum. Sure, time will tell. But to spend a 1st round pick on a goalie at this juncture, in 2021, is piss poor asset management moving forward. It just is. I totally get where you are coming from about Wallstedt’s level of talent and potential, for THIS team that doesn’t make sense. We need to stock pile centers in the next two drafts imo, especially in the 1st round. Because hoping Henriksson figures it out, or that Barron will all the sudden be a full time center at the NHL level when he did not even play full time at Cornell, or hoping you catch lightning in a bottle with one of the UDFA centers they just signed, is again negligent.

And as I said, I am ok with drafting goalies in the 4th round or later. Even 3rd round. But the first two rounds should be reserved for the more pressing holes we need to and MUST fill.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Not that I'm taking a strong stance on Wallstedt, but it's worth noting that any center we choose in the upcoming draft is likely to take at least 3 years to be a solid NHL contributor.

It's becoming increasingly apparent that for the early part of our competitive window, we either

A) Need to trade for an NHL center

or

B) Will have to go to battle with Zibanejad, Chytil, Strome down the middle

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think if the Rangers already had an aging goalie, you might be right, but there's plenty of time to find a quality one later in the draft. Meanwhile, there are plenty of other places the Rangers can improve their organizational depth.
Yes there is. But Wallstedt is 7 years younger than Igor. That matters. Speaking only for me, I feel very comfortable with knowing the D and goal are set.

Especially as this draft sets out outside the top 5. I feel much more comfortable with believing that Wallstedt will reach what he is projected for than other prospects outside the top 5. Especially that when you go outside the top 5, I see no one that will be ready to help as the Ranger open their window.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yes there is. But Wallstedt is 7 years younger than Igor. That matters. Speaking only for me, I feel very comfortable with knowing the D and goal are set.

Especially as this draft sets out outside the top 5. I feel much more comfortable with believing that Wallstedt will reach what he is projected for than other prospects outside the top 5. Especially that when you go outside the top 5, I see no one that will be ready to help as the Ranger open their window.

I don't think the Rangers need any help opening their window, but they'll need to keep it open. Having skaters on ELCs is how you do that, so even if anyone they draft now isn't going to be ready to contribute to the early part of the window, that's not the point.

We need to work under the assumption here that Shesterkin is our #1 for the next decade.

Reactions: RGY

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The part about the Centers in this draft is frankly just your opinion.

Yes I agree no center is playing in the league next year. But in 2 years? 3? This is a league that is getting younger and younger at the skater position. Not the goalie position.

Wallstedt can be all he is chalked up to be, but this team is trying to move forward right now in the next 1-2 years while they have their best young players on ELCs and their 2nd contracts. Not in 4-5 years when the roster may look entirely different due to cap casualties.

And you ignores the part about not needing an “elite” goalie to reach the ultimate end goal, which is a cup. Igor is certainly more than good enough AND I see him being here the next 5-7 years at minimum. Sure, time will tell. But to spend a 1st round pick on a goalie at this juncture, in 2021, is piss poor asset management moving forward. It just is. I totally get where you are coming from about Wallstedt’s level of talent and potential, for THIS team that doesn’t make sense. We need to stock pile centers in the next two drafts imo, especially in the 1st round. Because hoping Henriksson figures it out, or that Barron will all the sudden be a full time center at the NHL level when he did not even play full time at Cornell, or hoping you catch lightning in a bottle with one of the UDFA centers they just signed, is again negligent.

And as I said, I am ok with drafting goalies in the 4th round or later. Even 3rd round. But the first two rounds should be reserved for the more pressing holes we need to and MUST fill.
Lots of things to unpack here.

of course what I am stating is nothing more than my opinion. But it is where most pundits and our own insiders agree as well. Beneirs in most drafts is outside the top-10. Yet in this draft, he is the most sought after forward.

In a draft this weak, yeah I have no issue with placing draft capital into a player that has the best chance of being elite.

Does one need an elite goalie to win it all? No. But then one does not need running shoes to run a marathon, but it certainly helps.

Having pocket aces as you see what you get on the river, makes for a calm evening. Having an elite successor to your elite currently goalie already in the system makes for smart business. Especially when he is taken in a draft like this.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't think the Rangers need any help opening their window, but they'll need to keep it open. Having skaters on ELCs is how you do that, so even if anyone they draft now isn't going to be ready to contribute to the early part of the window, that's not the point.

We need to work under the assumption here that Shesterkin is our #1 for the next decade.
Again fair. But maybe signing Shesterkin to a deal that takes him to 32 is smart business? And then you have another elite level 25 year olds ready to step in.

sort of like having pocket aces as you watch the river turn

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Again fair. But maybe signing Shesterkin to a deal that takes him to 32 is smart business? And then you have another elite level 25 year olds ready to step in.

sort of like having pocket aces as you watch the river turn

I get the concept, but again... it's not like starters can't be found later in the draft.

Reactions: RGY

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I get the concept, but again... it's not like starters can't be found later in the draft.
Yes, but at the risk of rounding back the beginning , not liken this.

I guess that one of the things that it comes down to is this draft and what are levels of prospects available

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yes, but at the risk of rounding back the beginning , not liken this.

I guess that one of the things that it comes down to is this draft and what are levels of prospects available

Yes, like this. Carey Price and Tom Barrasso are literally the only goalies ever drafted in the top-10 to win a Vezina Trophy that wasn't determined automatically by team GAA. Wallstedt might be an elite goalie in the NHL when he gets there, but I almost guarantee that if he is, the other goalies in the conversation for the best won't have been drafted in in a similar place.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad