Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 3.7.22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
No party involved in this is going to risk getting caught and lose their license (Flint, Othmann's agent), draft picks (Rangers) or even getting suspended (Othmann).

This stuff does not happen. Flint isn't relinquishing his rights.

Of course no one would want to do ot if it isn't allowed. You're saying 'get caught' like it's illegal, GAG is saying it's probably not as it would be similar to a transfer agreement. My question was whether Othman playing in Europe was a problem that could be fixed with a monetary solution to Flint that doesn't circumvent any rules.
I dont know enough about the CHL to even know if a couple of hundred grand would make it worth their while to lose a player like him, I'm just curious as to whether it's a viable option

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
one more on this from me, re the rights question re 5th year NCAA players

found an example of 5th year NCAA drafted player
also at St Cloud
Goalie David Hrenak
5th consecutive season w >25 GP and >560 saves each
David Hrenak Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
View attachment 513287

per CapFriendly, LAK rights extended to Aug'22
View attachment 513286
That guy would fall under a different subsection of the same article in the CBA because he was 20 when he was drafted (May 2008 birthday, June 2018 draft date).

"If a Player drafted at age 20 or older is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection or becomes a bona fide college student while his drafting Club retains exclusive rights, then his drafting Club shall retain those rights until the later of: (a) the second June 1 following the date of his selection, or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college student; provided that if the Player: (1) is in his fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA eligibility and the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student on or after January 1 of an academic year, or (2) is in his fourth year of college, is scheduled to graduate from college at the end of his fourth year and the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student on or after January 1 of an academic year, or (3) remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, then in the circumstances described in (1) or (2) or (3), the Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including August 15 of that calendar year."

Reactions: egelband and cwede

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Of course no one would want to do ot if it isn't allowed. You're saying 'get caught' like it's illegal, GAG is saying it's probably not as it would be similar to a transfer agreement. My question was whether Othman playing in Europe was a problem that could be fixed with a monetary solution to Flint that doesn't circumvent any rules.
I dont know enough about the CHL to even know if a couple of hundred grand would make it worth their while to lose a player like him, I'm just curious as to whether it's a viable option
I think the problem is that the NHL-CHL agreement, much like the NHL CBA, or the IIHF transfer agreement, or any other similar document, is that it's an "inclusive" document, meaning that the things you can do are all contained within. If something isn't in the document, it's not something you're going to be able to do; so if there's no stated mechanism for an NHL team to pay a CHL team to have a guy go play in Europe, you can't do it. The age rule preventing guys from playing in the AHL at 19 has long been discussed as a problem, yet no one has found a way around it to this point (because there isn't supposed to be a way around it). If there was a way, someone would have tried it by now.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
LOLvi Aaltonen has a pari of goals through 2 for KooKoo, giving him a line of 5-3-8 on the year.

EDIT: Add an assist to that. He's about to blow up!

Last edited:
Reactions: doming07

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Vaisanen had 3+1 today in his U20 game. He has followed up a solid showing in Liiga, where he spent most of the season until the past month, with a very good showing in the U20 SM-sarja, where he has line of 8-9-17 in 13 games (depending on where you look, it might be 7 goals--someone has made a counting error).

By contrast, Jaroslav Chmelar has played the entire year in the U20, and has a line of 7-8-15 in 33 games.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Anyone have any insight on whether Edstrom will be offered a contract by the Rangers? Hard to see Aaltonen or Ciccolini getting one.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Anyone have any insight on whether Edstrom will be offered a contract by the Rangers? Hard to see Aaltonen or Ciccolini getting one.

It's hard to answer this question with a definitive yes or no, but I can tell you that the Rangers have invested in his development with personal coaches, which is usually a sign that an ELC is in the works.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've hear they like him a lot. This season wasn't a big step forward for him, but his game seems tailor made for a fourth line role in the NHL. They still have until the summer of 2023 to decide, though.

Lindbom, Ragnarsson, and Vierling are the three they'll have to decide on by this June 1. I'd say there's a 50% chance on Vierling (he's obviously finishing strong), maybe a 10% chance for Lindbom (depends maybe on what they do with all their other UFA/RFA goalies), and a 0% chance for Ragnarsson, who isn't NHL-caliber and is carving out a career for himself in Sweden.

Next year it's Aaltonen, Boyko, Ciccolini, Edstrom, Grubbe, Hughes, Kjellberg, and Korczak. I would say Boyko, Edstrom, Kjellberg, and Korczak are yesses, too early to say on Grubbe, and no on Aaltonen, Ciccolini, and Hughes. Korczak and Boyko probably get deals before next season.

Reactions: Fitzy

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I've hear they like him a lot. This season wasn't a big step forward for him, but his game seems tailor made for a fourth line role in the NHL. They still have until the summer of 2023 to decide, though.

Lindbom, Ragnarsson, and Vierling are the three they'll have to decide on by this June 1. I'd say there's a 50% chance on Vierling (he's obviously finishing strong), maybe a 10% chance for Lindbom (depends maybe on what they do with all their other UFA/RFA goalies), and a 0% chance for Ragnarsson, who isn't NHL-caliber and is carving out a career for himself in Sweden.

Next year it's Aaltonen, Boyko, Ciccolini, Edstrom, Grubbe, Hughes, Kjellberg, and Korczak. I would say Boyko, Edstrom, Kjellberg, and Korczak are yesses, too early to say on Grubbe, and no on Aaltonen, Ciccolini, and Hughes. Korczak and Boyko probably get deals before next season.

it seemed like Ciccolini was on his way to a contract u til he got injured. U dont think he can redeem himself?

Reactions: nyr2k2

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
it seemed like Ciccolini was on his way to a contract u til he got injured. U dont think he can redeem himself?
It’s pretty rare that the Rangers sign a lower end draft pick NCAA forward who hasn’t hit a PPG by his senior year. Max Campbell is a good example.

Although I suppose we did keep Fogarty…

Reactions: Ruggs225 and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I mean it's always possible. This was the year where I was hoping he'd take that next step forward, but then a) basically all the big guys came back to Michigan plus their new guys and b) he got injured. Because of point A, it was likely he'd be stuck playing a reduced role again, but then B rendered it all moot.

He'd really need to explode next year to even have a chance, IMO. He doesn't have any particular stand-out skills, like Fogarty where you could at least say, "This guy could be a shutdown 4C." Ciccolini is like an undersized, decent two-way guy, with some skill that hasn't really manifest itself as production. I'm not really sure what the projection would be on him, and (again barring a breakout season next year), there would probably be better unsigned/undrafted NCAA FAs to offer a contract to.

I was looking forward to following him this season as I thought his 2021 was underrated, but unfortunately for the prospects on the fringes, sometimes a bad injury can really derail whatever slim chance they had.

Reactions: Ruggs225

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Korczak and Boyko are AHL eligible next season so that might play into it as well.

Reactions: nyr2k2

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Berard does a lot of little things including nearly ko'ing a guy with a hit in near the boards in the nz he's pretty slick tonight

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
It’s pretty rare that the Rangers sign a lower end draft pick NCAA forward who hasn’t hit a PPG by his senior year. Max Campbell is a good example.

Although I suppose we did keep Fogarty…

I mean it's always possible. This was the year where I was hoping he'd take that next step forward, but then a) basically all the big guys came back to Michigan plus their new guys and b) he got injured. Because of point A, it was likely he'd be stuck playing a reduced role again, but then B rendered it all moot.

He'd really need to explode next year to even have a chance, IMO. He doesn't have any particular stand-out skills, like Fogarty where you could at least say, "This guy could be a shutdown 4C." Ciccolini is like an undersized, decent two-way guy, with some skill that hasn't really manifest itself as production. I'm not really sure what the projection would be on him, and (again barring a breakout season next year), there would probably be better unsigned/undrafted NCAA FAs to offer a contract to.

I was looking forward to following him this season as I thought his 2021 was underrated, but unfortunately for the prospects on the fringes, sometimes a bad injury can really derail whatever slim chance they had.

thanks for the responses. Always appreciate your insights!

Reactions: bhamill and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Fyi per CHN app, Ollas IS in net
He is, he hasn't been tested much. He had a shutout halfway through, but--sort of miraculously--was beat over the shoulder on the short side from a sharp angle. It obviously takes a perfect shot to do that, since even when he drops into the RVH his shoulder is basically flush with the crossbar. :laugh:

Maine picking it up a little bit.

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
Berard scores off an innocent shot on the half wall to put the Friars up 2-0 over UVM in the third

He's predictably been the best player in this game

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lamb had 1+2 last night.

Othmann had 1+1. Cuylle had an assist. Nothing for Vierling.

Garand returned after a month off and picked up the own, stopping 24/26. He beat Boyko, who stopped 33/37. Korczak, Grubbe, and Rempe were scoreless.

Kjellberg scoreless and -2 as RPI had a historic collapse, blowing a 3-0 lead in the final 3+ minutes to Harvard who scored three goals with the goalie pulled and then won in OT. Cornell won and Kempf had no points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad