Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Rankings: (Fall 2020) - #12

Who should be the higher ranked prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Shiny new toy syndrome going on here

Hajek is the best on this list
Eh, Hajek is my next choice, but the reality is he wasn't even very good in Hartford last year. Not good in the NHL and not good in the AHL. All in all, not good! Last year was a regression, even acknowledging that he was coming off an injury. I think it's fair to question whether he becomes a full time NHLer. I think he will, but I have real concerns now.

And that's the rub. The new guys, they could be anything. The older guys, we have a better read on them. The newer guys haven't had a chance to disappoint, while guys like Hajek have a larger body of work to praise or condemn. More opportunity to downgrade them.

I think the board generally balances that pretty well, though. We usually have a couple guys that I think are a 2-3 spots too high or too low, but nothing particularly egregious. If you put Hajek ahead of Jones and Reunanen, I wouldn't agree, but it wouldn't be crazy. Same if you placed him behind Cuylle and Henriksson. I think he'll end up in an appropriate range.

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
Went Cuylle. Add Rykov.

Wasn't he considered to have a shot of making the Rangers out of camp last year before injuries derailed his season? Seems weird to have a couple of just drafted 5th rounders ahead of him in the poll. I understand Vierling and Berard may have fallen, but very few with rounders make it to the NHL.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Went with hajek... also feel people are sleeping on wall as a prospect.

but damn we have alot of prospects that are good

oh Yeah add rykov

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Hajek here. It’s not unusual - some kids need several shots to become NHL regulars. This kid had stretches where he looked like he belonged but once he started making errors and had to think more - his game went off the rails. Hopefully it “clicks” for him again to start making sound plays reflectively - he won’t look back.

Add Vierling.

P.S. I’m very disappointed in how Rykov’s minutes with CSKA diminished over the last few weeks. He became their least utilized defenseman. At 23 (if he had a good chance at becoming NHLer) he should’ve been their go to guy. I wrote before that this upcoming season (after he’s done in the KHL) is likely his last shot with the Rangers as the competition for LD would increase. With 13 min per game in the K I wouldn’t bet on it at all.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hajek here. It’s not unusual - some kids need several shots to become NHL regulars. This kid had stretches where he looked like he belonged but once he started making errors and had to think more - his game went off the rails. Hopefully it “clicks” for him again to start making sound plays reflectively - he won’t look back.

Add Vierling.

P.S. I’m very disappointed in how Rykov’s minutes with CSKA diminished over the last few weeks. He became their least utilized defenseman. At 23 (if he had a good chance at becoming NHLer) he should’ve been their go to guy. I wrote before that this upcoming season (after he’s done in the KHL) is likely his last shot with the Rangers as the competition for LD would increase. With 13 min per game in the K I wouldn’t bet on it at all.
My concern with Rykov was that he would stay in the KHL where he knew he could play and play in a top role. That he's not playing in a top role is concerning after his disappointing season last year. Even if you're on a top team, if you're playing overseas and are 23 you should be a go-to guy if you have legitimate NHL aspirations. It's different when you're a younger player and still developing, but for someone like Rykov he has seemingly regressed.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Went Hajek here, but the interesting thing (for me) is who to add.

I went with Edstrom. The kid was a 6th rounder that was able to stick as an 18 year old in the SHL. He's also 6'6" and willing to use it. Decent wheels, as well. Frankly, I think he should probably be up there already as a choice.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
My concern with Rykov was that he would stay in the KHL where he knew he could play and play in a top role. That he's not playing in a top role is concerning after his disappointing season last year. Even if you're on a top team, if you're playing overseas and are 23 you should be a go-to guy if you have legitimate NHL aspirations. It's different when you're a younger player and still developing, but for someone like Rykov he has seemingly regressed.

Yup, that was my point.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Went with Henriksson here. Further along and despite low numbers has looked good against men in Sweden.

Cullye is a really exciting prospect for me but he's further away and more of a project.

Hajek probably comes up next for me. Think he buckled under the pressure of having a spot last year and I'm not writing him off yet.

Add Vierling.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I still think Hajek is getting underrated a bit here. I'd have him, Cuylle, Henriksson, and Vierling next. Not sure why Pajuniemi is up yet tbh.

Add Vierling.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I still think Hajek is getting underrated a bit here. I'd have him, Cuylle, Henriksson, and Vierling next. Not sure why Pajuniemi is up yet tbh.

Add Vierling.
He had not really stepped up. While I certainly believe that he can still be a part of the future, he has to be able to take a serious step forward this year.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Missed this vote, but went with Cuylle.

Henriksson is still a confusing player for me because I just don't know how the combination looks at the NHL level. There's good playming and offensive instincts, is there enough to overcome the below average size/ average-ish skating combination? I honestly don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad