Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect poll: #9

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
RW Robin Kovacs won round 8. D John Gilmour is added to the poll.

ADDITIONS: I am adding Tyler Nanne since based on the last story it looks like he made a full return to health and is training to return to hockey (but probably not this season since he needs to regain his strength). I am also adding Troy Donnay since technically he's still our prospect, even though he's in his last year of his contract and nowhere near the AHL.

WHO IS A PROSPECT: We can't all have different standards based on what we each want personally, so we follow HF rules. The standard for what's a prospect is here: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

I specifically want to point out that Paliotta and Hrivik are eligible as prospects since they played under 65 games. Every year there are people who declare something like, "I don't consider Buchnevich to be a prospect because he's guaranteed to play on the Rangers." That is not the standard. We cannot have everyone follow a difference standard because then the results will be meaningless. By HF standards, McIlrath and others I listed are eligible, therefore they will count as prospects here.

Please write-in who you think should be added to the poll.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW/RW Pavel Buchnevich
2. LW Jimmy Vesey
3. D Brady Skjei
4. G Igor Shesterkin
5. D Dylan McIlrath
6. D Ryan Graves
7. G Mackenzie Skapski

Robin Kovacs
Right Wing -- shoots L
Born Nov 16 1996 -- Stockholm, Sweden
Height 6.00 -- Weight 172
2015-16 AIK Swe-1 44 21-13-34 54PIM

Robin+Kovacs+2015+NHL+Draft+Rounds+2+7+EW5uhVPSBzZl.jpg

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED:

Andersson, Calle
Bernhardt, Daniel
Chapie, Adam
Donnay, Troy
Fogarty, Steven
Fontaine, Gabriel
Gettinger, Tim
Jensen, Nicklas
Halverson, Brandon
Hellberg, Mangus
Hrivik, Marek
Hughes, Tommy
Huska, Adam
Morrison, Brad
Nanne, Tyler
Paliota, Michael
Ronning, Ty
Stromwall, Malte
Tambellini, Adam
Wall, Tyler
Zborovskiy, Sergey

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
First, Kovacs looks like Hagelin's identical twin brother.

Second, Nieves needs to be up there. Size, speed, smarts. He deserves a fairly early spot after doing well in the AHL, being one of the top players in Traverse and then having a solid game in preseason (key: it was the last preseason game when most of his opposition were NHLers, which is very different from the first preseason game when it's a bunch of minor leaguers and one NHL line).

Add Huska: the best goalie in the USHL, really good in the WJC behind a terrible team.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Tarmo, add Huska

Can you explain the reasoning behind making Tarmo a top-10 prospect when he can barely hold up in the Finnish minors? He's playing in a barely professional league, he is small, and he's offense-first without being able to score.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Boo. Add Tambo i guess as so many D on ballot, Paliotta,Halverson, Huska are all in this 9-19 field9

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Can you explain the reasoning behind making Tarmo a top-10 prospect when he can barely hold up in the Finnish minors? He's playing in a barely professional league, he is small, and he's offense-first without being able to score.

It was between Tarmo and Boo for this spot. He should've made TPS out of camp, but they opted for vets instead; it happens all over hockey. Despite only having 4 points right now, he's been leading TUTO's top pairing, creating chances, playing well through all 3-zones, and helped lead them to 1st in the league. What makes you say he can barely hold up in Finnish minors?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Day is really getting votes for the top 10? I'm shocked. He's all hype, let him show it on the ice first before I even come close to voting him in the top 10. I'd vote Gilmour before him.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Add Halvarsson, then Jensen

It will be interesting to see Fog in the AHL, but I want to see him performing there before its warranted to start touting his horn. Its not a given that he will keep up with that game and then he is smoked. Will either Ronning or Morrission put a move on this season? Will Tarmo R sky rocket?

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
First, Kovacs looks like Hagelin's identical twin brother.

Second, Nieves needs to be up there. Size, speed, smarts. He deserves a fairly early spot after doing well in the AHL, being one of the top players in Traverse and then having a solid game in preseason (key: it was the last preseason game when most of his opposition were NHLers, which is very different from the first preseason game when it's a bunch of minor leaguers and one NHL line).

Add Huska: the best goalie in the USHL, really good in the WJC behind a terrible team.

Concur on Nieves. After missing most of the main camp he comes off the injury sidelines and played against pretty much an NHL team and did not look out of place at all. His pace was there, his compete was there and he seemed more that happy to use his size to leverage opponents off the puck. He was more impressive than Jooris or Gerbe or Grabner or Fast all of who have NHL pedigrees. He showed a lot more than either Jensen (not that he was bad at all) or Hrivik. I looked at him the other night and thought this guy is going to be an NHL player.

I wasn't convinced before. Now I am.

Add Paliotta.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Sean Day with 10 votes is an absolute joke for where this kids development is right now.

If you think he was an absolute steal and should have gone a lot higher I guess it makes some sense.

Day's a 3rd rounder who needs to upgrade his game but has a very high grade tool set but the question is he needs a toolbox and whether he can find it?

Group's a 2nd rounder with more development. Halverson ditto.
Fogarty and Tambellini third round picks just like Day but with more development. Kovacs a third round pick who had a really really good post draft year. Zborovskiy is another third rounder who had a good year and was very good at Traverse.

And Nieves another 2nd round pick who as Clark says--his body has popped--a big guy who can skate really well with really nice hands who appears to be on the cusp.

I would argue that maybe with the exception of Fogarty--Day isn't ahead of any of the above. Nor would I put him ahead of Jensen, Paliotta or Stromwall. To me he's a bit of an outlier in this poll. But he is new to the organization and he finished Traverse pretty well after a rocky start.

In another sense though if he's really our 15th--20th best prospect (which is the range I'd put him at) then we've very sneakily upgraded our prospect pool quite a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad