Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Poll: #7

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Clear win for D Ryan Graves in round 6 with almost 3/4 of the vote. D Sergey Zborovskiy is added.

WHO IS A PROSPECT: We can't all have different standards based on what we each want personally, so we follow HF rules. The standard for what's a prospect is here: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

Please write-in who you think should be added to the poll.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW/RW Pavel Buchnevich
2. D Dylan McIlrath
3. D Brady Skjei
4. C Oscar Lindberg
5. G Igor Shesterkin
6. D Ryan Graves

Ryan Graves
Defense -- shoots L
Born May 21 1995 -- Yarmouth, NS
[20 yrs. ago]
Height 6.04 -- Weight 220

2015-16 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 35GP 3-8-11 25PIM

Screen-Shot-2014-05-14-at-9.59.31-AM-593x329.png

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED:

Andersson, Calle
Bernhardt, Daniel
Bourque, Ryan
Donnay, Troy
Fogarty, Steven
Hellberg, Magnus
Hrivik, Marek
Hughes, Tommy
Huska, Adam
Iverson, Keegan
Kantor, Michael
Mantha, Ryan
McCarthy, Chris
Morrison, Brad
Nanne, Tyler
Nejezchleb, Richard
Nicholls, Josh
Nieves, Cristoval
Noreau, Samuel
Skapski, Mackenzie
St. Croix, Michael

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Do people agree that our cut-off for top prospects should be with Graves? I doubt anyone else remaining can be considered a top prospect. Thoughts?

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Gropp

Add Morrison

Beacon said:
Do people agree that our cut-off for top prospects should be with Graves? I doubt anyone else remaining can be considered a top prospect. Thoughts?

Probably, but Gropp @ 2nd round with his attributes is borderline.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Probably, but Gropp @ 2nd round with his attributes is borderline.

A video of Gropp's 3 assist got posted in the prospects thread. Those are very much passenger points. Barzel looks amazing, Gropp looks like he's to Barzel what our prospect Bob Maudie was to Jerome Iginla in the juniors when Maudie got 101 points by playing been two wingers who got 136 and 148 points.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
A video of Gropp's 3 assist got posted in the prospects thread.

I know. I posted it, lol.

Those are very much passenger points.

Two of them definitely....the middle assist was a bit better. He did have to find him cross-ice.

Barzel looks amazing

No doubt

The thing is, Gropp has the size, shot, and speed to be a power forward. He has the tools and Gorton & Co felt he was worth trading up in the 2nd round to obtain. I suppose they think he can put it all together. I don't think he is top, but I do have enough trust in our scouts that I at least consider him borderline.

I'll admit that I'm a bit worried by how much of his output may be determined by Barzal's great play, though.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Saarela is making a nice case for himself to be a top prospect. I think by this time next year he will be in our top 5 as long as he can stay healthy (hopefully his current injury isn't that bad).

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Saarela is making a nice case for himself to be a top prospect. I think by this time next year he will be in our top 5 as long as he can stay healthy (hopefully his current injury isn't that bad).

I think too many injuries to be a top prospect. It slows his development and possibly risks him retiring before making the NHL.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
A video of Gropp's 3 assist got posted in the prospects thread. Those are very much passenger points. Barzel looks amazing, Gropp looks like he's to Barzel what our prospect Bob Maudie was to Jerome Iginla in the juniors when Maudie got 101 points by playing been two wingers who got 136 and 148 points.

Yes we get it, we all know you think Gropp is a passenger of Barzal and will never make it. Do you have to reiterate this every time he registers a point?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Yes we get it, we all know you think Gropp is a passenger of Barzal and will never make it. Do you have to reiterate this every time he registers a point?

I said it two times, the previous time before he scored any points, this time because he got 3 freebie assists off someone else's effort.

Also, strawman arguments are very annoying since they are essentially lies. You claim that another person said something - in this case that Gropp will never make it - that the person never said. Please explain to me how that's not lying?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I said it two times, the previous time before he scored any points, this time because he got 3 freebie assists off someone else's effort.

Also, strawman arguments are very annoying since they are essentially lies. You claim that another person said something - in this case that Gropp will never make it - that the person never said. Please explain to me how that's not lying?

Okay, sorry for saying you think he'll never make it. I never said it wasn't lying?

So you think he'll make it then even though you believe he is a passenger of Barzal? I'm not sure what you expect people to take away from you claiming he is a passenger of Barzal, especially across multiple threads, more than once. Isn't the underlying thought that when a prospect is a passenger, he will not amount to anything in the NHL because he was carried in lower leagues?

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I was between Kovacs and Saarela. I just really like Kovacs' game if it transitions well, so I went with him here over A.S.

Add Morrison. Never a great sign I'm never sure who to even add.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
add Skapski
i chose Gropp but really close vs Tambo, Saarela, Kovacs

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
So you think he'll make it then even though you believe he is a passenger of Barzal? I'm not sure what you expect people to take away from you claiming he is a passenger of Barzal, especially across multiple threads, more than once. Isn't the underlying thought that when a prospect is a passenger, he will not amount to anything in the NHL because he was carried in lower leagues?

The underlying thought is that he's not one of our top prospects right now. There's a mid-point between 0% and 100%. For instance, if I point out that a random second rounder is not as good as a first rounder because he must have flaws that caused him to drop, and on average a second rounder has only a 20% chance to make it, that doesn't mean that he has no chance to make it, but merely that it is less than likely.

As with any 19-year-old, he can still make a major leap forward. Callahan was one such prospect, who was very meh at 19, but later became our captain. The Rangers refused to give him a contract, he had to go for an overager season because he probably couldn't even keep up as a top player in the ECHL. That said, let's keep in mind that for every Callahan, there are at least a dozen guys who wound up in the ECHL and you never heard of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad