Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Poll: #4

Jxmarts

Sep 8, 2008
I don't think he makes it as a top-6 guy because his offense may not be there, but his size and speed should make him a quality bottom-6 guy. If he added offense, he'd be a very good prospect. Let's see how he does in his senior season.

When Nieves was drafted, I heard it was because of his offensive potential and playmaking abilities. I heard nothing about his abilities as a bottom-6 guy. Unless he's totally transformed himself, I see him an offensive prospect who has failed to develop into NHL caliber. Seniors do commonly produce good scoring numbers, but by then it's not so much a sign of their development but a consequence of their being more mature than their competition.

Jxmarts

Sep 8, 2008
This was written in the previous round, but since we moved on, I'll respond here: I think McIlrath is far, far more needed. Moore is doing the job Lindberg is penciled in doing long-term. But we have Moore to do it now, and it's not rocket science to find another Moore as an inexpensive UFA.

Look at players comparable to what McIlrath projects to be if he comes close to reaching his potential. Those guys make $5+ as UFAs. Not only that, but as much as some here want to mock physical play as "tuffness", but the #1 reason the Rangers lost to LA in the SCF was LA's superior physicality.

A crease clearer who is excellent winning puck battles along the boards and forces the opposition to keep their heads up as they skate up is exactly the missing piece of this team. If there's one type of player the Rangers could benefit from adding, it would be the kind of McIlrath can be. Maybe he won't be that during this season, but if he can get there in the future with NHL experience, it will be absolutely crucial in moving this team a step forward.

I agree McIlrath can be invaluable in ways that don't display on the back of one's hockey card. If he eventually earns a spot in the top-4, he'll add an element to Rangers' D that they haven't had in years.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
As a college player who signed his first professional contract after the age of 22, he has 3 years of eligibility per HF.

And actually, by this language, Matt Lindblad is technically a prospect until the spring on 2016 as he signed 4/2013.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Shesterkin. Add Skapski.

Voted Shesterkin because the "value guide" in the OP says trade value should be taken into heavy consideration. I believe Shesterkin has more value than McIlrath in that regard, and while Dylan has looked excellent in pre-season, two games won't change the opinion of people looking to acquire him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad