Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Poll: #20

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
D Calle Sjalin and C Dominik Lakatos came out tied at 24 votes in the tiebreaker so both are now sharing the 18th place. D Brandon Crawley and C Patrik Virta are added to the poll to replace Uncle Joe and Lakatos.

RULES CHANGE:

Since HF no longer functions beyond the forum, no reason to have their old rules. We do, however, need the same rules for everyone or else the rankings mean nothing.

SKATER PROSPECT: A player 24 or younger with 50 or fewer NHL games.

GOALIE PROSPECT: A player 25 or younger with 25 or fewer NHL games.

EXCEPTION 1: If a player completed the required 50/25 games, but is still not regarded as an NHL regular because he's shuffling between the NHL and the AHL, he could still be a prospect as long as he's 24 or younger and if agreed upon by most people here.

EXCEPTION 2: A player who is no older than 25 years old at the time of the vote and is a borderline NHLer could still count if agreed upon by most people here.

Please vote on who to add to the next round of polling.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW/RW Pavel Buchnevich
2. G Igor Shesterkin
3. C Lias Andersson
4. D Anthony DeAngelo
5. C Filip Chytil

SECOND TIER

6. D Alexei Bereglazov
7. D Ryan Graves
8. D Sean Day
9. D Neal Pionk
10. G Adam Huska
11. C/LW Cristoval "Boo" Nieves
12. LW Ryan Gropp
13. G Tyler Wall
14. D Sergey Zborovskiy
15. RW Nicklas Jensen

PROJECTS & SUSPECTS

16. LW Tim Gettinger
17. RW Robin Kovacs
18. D Calle Sjalin
18. C Dominik Lakatos

Calle Sjalin
Defense -- shoots L
Born Sep 2 1999
Height 6.01 -- Weight 179

2016-17 Östersunds IK Division-1 34GP 5 10 15 26PIM

Dominik Lakatos
Center -- shoots L
Born Apr 8 1997
Height 6.00 -- Weight 178

2016-17 Liberec Bili Tygri HC Czech 41GP 10 12 22 80PIM

AVAILABLE PROSPECTS

GOALIES

G Chris Nell

DEFENSEMEN

D John Gilmour

FORWARDS

C Adam Tambellini
RW Daniel Bernhardt
LW Dawson Leedahl
C Gabriel Fontaine
LW Malte Stromwall
C Morgan Barron
C Steven Fogarty
RW Tyler Nanne
RW Vinni Lettieri

GRADUATED OR GONE:

1. LW Jimmy Vesey
2. D Brady Skjei
3. C/LW Marek Hrivik
4. D Troy Donnay
5. G Mackenzie Skapski
6. C Brad Morrison
7. D Tommy Hughes
8. RW Adam Chapie
9. G Mackenzie Skapski
10. D Michael Paliotta

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Voted for Crawley because two guys drafted after him were just voted in. As I pointed out before, the draft position matters less as you get away from the draft, but since nothing happened in the last couple of weeks since the draft, there's no excuse to say that hockey professionals who watched the player know less than random fans who did not watch the player.

Add Dawson Leedahl.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Going with Ronning, had a good season on an awful Giants team and his playstyle should translate well, which we also saw in his short Hartford stint.

Add Fontaine, should be added earlier honestly i think, had a great season and plays a really mature game.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Crawley, add Leedahl.

Ronning didn't even have a good season in the CHL, Crawley did.

Ronning has no business having more votes than Crawley.

5 points in 12 AHL games. Kovacs 12 points in 72. Guess that means Kovacs should be in this poll too.... Oh wait, he's already been placed.

Ronning is also a year younger than Kovacs.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
5 points in 12 AHL games. Kovacs 12 points in 72. Guess that means Kovacs should be in this poll too.... Oh wait, he's already been placed.

Ronning is also a year younger than Kovacs.

I was going to just let it go as its #20 and not that important of a discussion, but you quoted my post before the edit. :laugh:

I'm just not sure 12 games of AHL stats mean anything. Didn't Puempel have a great stretch with the Rangers? No one thinks he's any good at the NHL level. Ronning was under 1PPG in what should be his final CHL season, if he's any good. Thats pretty bad for a sub 5'10 winger. For a player with his skill-set, I would think he'd need to be 100 points to have much of a chance of making the NHL.

And I've said that Kovacs is nearly irrelevant as an NHL prospect after last season, so I'm not using the same stats and arguing different things.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I was going to just let it go as its #20 and not that important of a discussion, but you quoted my post before the edit. :laugh:

I'm just not sure 12 games of AHL stats mean anything. Didn't Puempel have a great stretch with the Rangers? No one thinks he's any good at the NHL level. Ronning was under 1PPG in what should be his final CHL season, if he's any good. Thats pretty bad for a sub 5'10 winger. For a player with his skill-set, I would think he'd need to be 100 points to have much of a chance of making the NHL.

And I've said that Kovacs is nearly irrelevant as an NHL prospect after last season, so I'm not using the same stats and arguing different things.

Yeah, but for his age it's strong.

Looking at their roster and there are no top prospects on it. They sold off and didn't move him out.

Hopefully he impresses enough in camp to get an ELC and go to Hartford as opposed to being there at 20. If not, hopefully the Rangers to force a trade out of there to a better squad.

Crawley plays for a stacked CHL team. It's hard to believe his stats wouldn't look good.

Only positive is that London does a great job developing future NHLers. You'd be banking on them more than the player itself because of their success rate.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Ronning actually had a pretty good season in CHL too, he was just on a very very bad team, his stats /60 look good and he improved A LOT off the puck.

His stint in the AHL was nice but a really small sample so grains of salt etc.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Pedrie. Good couple of seasons in college and the scouts liked him enough that we offered him an ELC. Reports on him sound promising. Add Fontaine.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Halvy add Tambo

or Leedahl, Fontaine, Lettieri
iI'd pick them over 1/2 the guys listed

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, but for his age it's strong.

Looking at their roster and there are no top prospects on it. They sold off and didn't move him out.

Hopefully he impresses enough in camp to get an ELC and go to Hartford as opposed to being there at 20. If not, hopefully the Rangers to force a trade out of there to a better squad.

Crawley plays for a stacked CHL team. It's hard to believe his stats wouldn't look good.

Only positive is that London does a great job developing future NHLers. You'd be banking on them more than the player itself because of their success rate.

I'm aware that Ronning has his team working against him and Crawley has his team working for him, but you also gotta realize that Crawley is part of why London is good. I don't even think his stats matter, given what his role is. Ronning's season is not entirely dependent on his team, plenty of players really stand out in a bad team. Harder to do, but if you are an NHL'er in a junior league, you probably should, regardless of how good or bad your team is. I realize there are a ton of factors, but how often do you find NHL'ers who put up weak stats in juniors, didn't play as much as they should've on a bad team, etc. They usually aren't hidden by their team.

I'm also not saying he's definitely better than Ronning, but I don't think Ronning did enough to be considered an actual prospect, for me he's a non-prospect. I give all draftees a chance, regardless of what I think of the picks. I've made my initial judgement on Ronning, haven't watched closely enough to do so for Crawley. When the known isn't very good, I'll take the unknown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad