Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Poll: #2

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Pavel Buchnevich easily won round 1. Everyone agreed that D Ryan Graves needs to be added.

WHO IS A PROSPECT: We can't all have different standards based on what we each want personally, so we follow HF rules. The standard for what's a prospect is here: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

Please write-in who you think should be added to the poll.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW/RW Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich
Forward
Born Apr 17 1995 -- Cherepovets, Russia
Height 6.01 -- Weight 161

2015-16 SKA KHL 43GP 12-17-29 20PIM

hqdefault.jpg

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED:

Andersson, Calle
Bernhardt, Daniel
Bourque, Ryan
Donnay, Troy
Fogarty, Steven
Halverson, Brandon
Hellberg, Magnus
Hrivik, Marek
Hughes, Tommy
Huska, Adam
Iverson, Keegan
Kantor, Michael
Kovacs, Robin
Mantha, Ryan
McCarthy, Chris
Morrison, Brad
Nanne, Tyler
Nicholls, Josh
Nieves, Cristoval
Noreau, Samuel
Saarela, Alesky
Skapski, Mackenzie
St. Croix, Michael
Tambellini, Adam
Zborovskiy, Sergey

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
I think McIlrath can be a #3 defenseman, and it's almost a safe bet now with the way he's been progressing.

Going with him, add Saarela, liked his play at WJC, easily a top 10 prospect for us IMO.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Surprised McIlrath didn't graduate from these :laugh:

Anyway, as long as he's here, it's him easily.

Add my boy Kovacs

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
McI's doing it at the NHL level and he looks awesome already!

Add Saarela pls, this poll's too close to the WJC not to.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Skjei over McIlrath because I still think that Skjei has bigger upside. If he adds a shot to his game and is more active in the offensive zone, he could be a similar player to McDonagh. What's the best case scenario for McIlrath? He's not more than an average skater, he has an inaccurate shot and his passing skills are good for a big player but really only adequate. I think he's a safer player than Skjei, but has less upside.

Add Saarela

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I'd put mcilrath on the no longer a prospect side of things... I'd have no problem with him taking top 4 minutes and maybe even top pair minutes... Mcdonagh-mcilrath for the win!!

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Voted Skjei but forgot McI was ont he poll (voted too fast). Would change to him now.

Add Saarela

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I'd put mcilrath on the no longer a prospect side of things!

Rationally... do you think it makes sense for each and every one of us to have his own rules on who is a prospect? How will the poll look if we do that?

Another question, is it rational to say that a prospect is no longer a prospect after he played 20 NHL and is not even a regular yet, playing only when someone's injured?

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Skjei over McIlrath because I still think that Skjei has bigger upside. If he adds a shot to his game and is more active in the offensive zone, he could be a similar player to McDonagh. What's the best case scenario for McIlrath? He's not more than an average skater, he has an inaccurate shot and his passing skills are good for a big player but really only adequate. I think he's a safer player than Skjei, but has less upside.

Add Saarela

I think your assessment of McIlrath is a tad harsh, but I agree with your general sentiment. Skjei, I still feel, has a higher upside purely due to his combination of skating and size. McIlrath has definitely shown more at the NHL level, and is more of a sure thing at this point. It's really a coin flip between the two, and I wouldn't blame anyone for choosing either guy at this point. For me, it's McIlrath, because I tend to be a bit biased towards NHL achievement versus potential.

Edit: Add Tambellini. He's a ways away, but still closer than guys like Kovacs or Saarela, and has shown flashes in Hartford. Size and skill, and in a much tougher league than the others.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Voted Skjei because I think his upside is higher, though I've clearly lost this one.

Add Saarela

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I know the graduation requirements are in effect, but I'd consider McIlrath and Lindberg NHLers at this point.

I considered them locks at the season end poll last year. And as far as locks go for the near future you have Buchnevich.

Then things get murky. Skjei will play but I think he's a mid-season call up next year at the earliest. No mistake made by letting him cook.

Graves who has outshined Skjei from time to time in AHL is also probably a couple of seasons away.

The real gem that's hiding away is Shesteroykin. I haven't seen him play out side of the world juniors, but I've heard he's got starter potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad