Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Poll: #13

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I've always felt Cam Talbot had the tools to be an NHL goaltender, so i'll go with him.

Add Bourque, on the off chance he finds a 4th line role.

Jxmarts

Sep 8, 2008
Noreau... add Spelling.

It seems Noreau is the victim of the "goon" stigma. But while it's true that he was drafted as a top fighter, he's done nothing but improve his game consistently while doing relatively little fighting. It's all projecion, but I'd have ranked him in the top 10 ahead of some forwards whom I think will never make it beyond the AHL. I hope the Ranger brass appreciate him more than the folks at these forums do.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Eligible to be added:

Bourque
Delisle
Mashinter
Missiaen
Niemi
Parlett
Pashnin
Spelling
Stajcer
Wilson
Yogan
Zuccarello

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
BCHL is a beer league? Ok buddy. Is the USHL a beer league? It may not mean as much as an OHL or NCAA season but "beer league" is ridiculous hyperbole. Look if point rankings and line rankings are your sole basis for evaluating prospects there is nothing to discuss. Let's hear your algorithm for predicting players so that we can just get a definitive list and call it a day.

How about how Jeff Jackson runs the most defensive system in the NCAA? There is no chance Nieves would have been a top-6 center on a defensive team over Anders Lee and TJ Tynan. Nieves walked into a great developmental situation on a terrible team. It's comparing apples to oranges.

I would never say that Fogarty is likely to reach his top-end potential, which is a 50pt defensive forward, but it's there. He was one of the most skilled players I have seen come through MN HS hockey in recent years, though extremely unrefined. The reason to see his potential is called using your eyes instead of pure statistics. He's a 3-4 year college player.

Very well said.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Eligible to be added:

Bourque
Delisle
Mashinter
Missiaen
Niemi
Parlett
Pashnin
Spelling
Stajcer
Wilson
Yogan
Zuccarello

Also Sam Klassen, who's equal or better better than Pashnin, Stajcer, Wilson, Niemi, Parlett and Delisle.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Dude. The BCHL is a junior league. What does the ECHL have to do with it?

Let me elaborate on this. People are having a hard time comparing junior leagues with the pros. The first time I had this argument on this forum was when I wrote that 80 points in 60 games (by Grachev) isn't awully impressive, it's not bad, but not a sign that he'll be a star. There was an avalanche against me screaming how great his stats are. And now Foggy got the same 80 points in 60 games, but at a much lower level (BCHL instead of the OHL) and once again we hear about alleged top-6 potential.

This happens every time with big guys. If they score at all, that's proof positive that they are great prospects. If they don't score, it's because power forwards take longer to develop and their coach is a bad person.

Yogan was consistently ranked as our second-tier prospect because he scored a point per game in juniors. Who now remembers when made him our #9 prospect last time around? Where are the people who voted for him to go as early as #7?

That's because people didn't realize just how much better the AHL is than the OHL. The reason I wrote that the ECHL is far superior to the BCHL is that people should not be expecting his stats at such a low level to translate into anything.

There is a desire by people to find a star power forward. We all want that. But the reality is that big guys with skill do not fall deep into the draft because everyone wants these guys. Normally, a big guy who has real top-6 potential will go in the top 5-10.

Teams always "reach" for these power forwards, which is why when you compare players of the same draft position, power forwards go bust more than anyone else. By the time we get into rounds 3 and 4, where Foggy and Yogi got drafted, there's hardly anyone who ever becomes a top-6 power forward. Sure, you can probably name 3-4 names, but think about how many players get drafted in these rounds. No more than 2-3% of power forwards drafted in rounds 3 or later actually become top-6 NHLers.

At this stage, there's absolutely nothing to suggest that Foggy is one of those 2%. Hope he'll prove me wrong.

P.S. At the same age as Foggy right now, Yogi led his team in scoring (40-40) and in +/- (+8). Playing on a weak team, he was the only regular who didn't have a minus.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2012
NY
Went with potential and voted Calle Anderson.

Add Yogan. He's had a tough start to his pro career, but I'm not going to sour on him based on half a season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad