Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Poll: #11

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Easy win for Ryan Graves round 10. C Brad Morrison is added to the poll.

THE RULES

WHO IS A PROSPECT: We can't all have different standards based on what we each want personally. We are on the HF board, so let's follow their rules. The standard for what's a prospect is here: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

* Please don't write that so-and-so should or should not be a prospect. It's not up to each individual here to decide, it's up to the HF rules. Every poll we have people who think they get to decide the rules. If you don't like the rules, go to another web site because here we use HF rules.

HOW TO RANK PROSPECTS: Based on their value in a hypothetical trade or waiver draft. This takes into consideration a prospect's ceiling, how close he's to making it, his health, work ethic, the whole deal. Imagine there was a prospect waiver draft and you could keep only one prospect. That guy is our #1 prospect. Then imagine we had one more waiver protection. That guy is our #2 prospect.

Please write who you want added to the poll, and give a reason for it. This makes the discussion here more lively.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW/RW Pavel Buchnevich
2. D Brady Skjei
3. C Oscar Lindberg
4. D Dylan McIlrath
5. G Igor Shesterkin

SECOND TIER

6. C Ryan Gropp
7. G Brandon Halverson
8. G Mackenzie Skapski
9. C Adam Tambellini
10. D Ryan Graves

Screen-Shot-2014-05-14-at-9.59.31-AM-593x329.png

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED:

Andersson, Calle
Bernhardt, Daniel
Bodie, Mat
Bourque, Ryan
Donnay, Troy
Fogarty, Steven
Hrivik, Marek
Hughes, Tommy
Huska, Adam
Iverson, Keegan
Kantor, Michael
Lindblad, Matt
Mantha, Ryan
McCarthy, Chris
Nanne, Tyler
Nicholls, Josh
Noreau, Samuel
St. Croix, Michael
Zamorsky, Petr
Zborovskiy, Sergey

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Close call between Saarela and Nieves. Went with the guy who has fewer injuries and whom I've actually seen - Nieves.

Add Zvorovskiy. We already added two guys drafted after him, including one (Morrison) who was taken 34 pick later, over a full round behind. Since these kids barely had a chance to play, not sure why the people here think they know so much more about them than our scouts do that they will choose a late-4th over a mid-3rd before they had the chance to either surprise or bust. And with Morrison already on the board, the pick should be pretty easy for Zboro.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
I like what I have heard about Saarela. If the kid can get past these concussion issues, he could be a serious player for us down the line. Apparently a 1st round talent that slipped.

At this point, went with Kovacs. Heard he plays a game comparable to Hags with a better shot. Hard not to like that.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Hellberg. Add Zamorsky, again. Silly to not have him at this point.

What scares me off about Zamorsky is that the Rangers didn't let him play during the preseason. Hughes played despite having no chance to make it. He's just an average second pair AHL defenseman. Is Zamorsky, who is also an RD and is the same age, less ready than Hughes? If so, why should he be up there ahead of Hughes?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
What scares me off about Zamorsky is that the Rangers didn't let him play during the preseason. Hughes played despite having no chance to make it. He's just an average second pair AHL defenseman. Is Zamorsky, who is also an RD and is the same age, less ready than Hughes? If so, why should he be up there ahead of Hughes?

I have no idea why Hughes played at all. Maybe as a reward for being a good solider the last two years? Really have no clue. I wouldn't assume though that it's because Hughes is more ready than Zamorsky. And even if he is less ready (it is his first year in North America) I think there's a great deal more upside with Zamorsky. I like Hughes, but what you see is what you get with him. I think Zamorsky still has a chance to be a real contributor at the next level.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Close call between Saarela and Nieves. Went with the guy who has fewer injuries and whom I've actually seen - Nieves.

Add Zvorovskiy. We already added two guys drafted after him, including one (Morrison) who was taken 34 pick later, over a full round behind. Since these kids barely had a chance to play, not sure why the people here think they know so much more about them than our scouts do that they will choose a late-4th over a mid-3rd before they had the chance to either surprise or bust. And with Morrison already on the board, the pick should be pretty easy for Zboro.

I don't think anyone is claiming to know more than the scouts. It's just a matter of preference. With Zborovskiy you've got a guy who profiles as a big, strong, defensive defenseman who has some skating issues. With someone like Morrison, you've got a small kid with high-end skills. People tend to favor the guys with high-end skills over the Steady Eddy types like Zborovskiy. There's probably a significantly higher bust potential with Morrison, but for a lot of people that's outweighed by the pure skill. Seems that most around here prefer the "upside" guys.

Anyway, you're as aware as anyone that beyond the second round you're talking about huge odds against guys becoming NHL regulars. What's the difference between a guy taken in the mid-third and the fourth? Hardly anything. That far into the draft it's somewhat of a crap shoot. Just because one guy goes a round earlier than another doesn't mean he's a better prospect, it just means a team favors him more than the other guy. We disagree with things the team does all the time, so this isn't going to be any different.

Last edited:

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Kovacs. Why? Been hearing really good things. Nice shot, great speed, and can play an agitator role. He'd be a great addition to a 3rd line in a bit. If he had 2nd-line upside, even better.

Add Zamorsky

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I don't think anyone is claiming to know more than the scouts. It's just a matter of preference. With Zborovskiy you've got a guy who profiles as a big, strong, defensive defenseman who has some skating issues. With someone like Morrison, you've got a small kid with high-end skills. People tend to favor the guys with high-end skills over the Steady Eddy types like Zborovskiy. There's probably a significantly higher bust potential with Morrison, but for a lot of people that's outweighed by the pure skill. Seems that most around here prefer the "upside" guys.

I can understand this argument when it comes to guys drafted closely to each other: Saarela went 10 picks after Zborovskiy, so if you prefer a higher reward, higher risk prospect, that makes sense. However, when you have prospects drafted more than a full round apart and there were other prospects the same team drafted between them, chances are the higher drafted guy is viewed as superior by the scouts. The team had multiple chances to pick him and chose the other guy plus some other draftees before choosing the second guy.

Zboro should definitely go up there before Bernhardt seeing as they went 40 picks apart and the Rangers chose two guys between the two (Saarela and Morrison).

As for someone like Zamorsky, as I've pointed out, the Rangers played some guys who had no chance to play in the NHL, yet they failed to play Zamorsky. He's already 23 years old, same as McIlrath. If he's not ready to participate in the early preseason games, that's not a great sign. I'll wait to see how he performs in the AHL, but his preseason non-performance scares me right now. Same for Calle Andersson, except he's 21 years old. I am concerned that the Rangers wouldn't even let him play when a bunch of long-shots got to play. Let's hope he can crack the AHL and doesn't get sent down to the ECHL.

Jxmarts

Sep 8, 2008
Kovacs... add Mantha.

Mantha's a year ahead of Zborovskiy, so I'm adding him, but it's close. I always prefer to wait and see how newly drafted players respond to their draft status. So, if it's close, I tend to rate higher a slightly older prospect who's shown progress over a recent draftee.

But I agree with those who've noted that Zborovskiy should probably be rated higher than many of those who've already been added (besides Kovacs). Saalera & Morrison were just drafted after Zborovskiy. Nejezchleb was a fifth rounder, who did not distinguish himself last season as an overage junior & has yet to be signed. Hellberg was acquired for a lowly 6th round pick. And Nieves has had 3 uninspiring seasons in college. It makes little sense to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad