Rangers Overtly Killing Lafreniere’s Career

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Listen, Lafreniere sucks right now and the Rangers are trying to compete. But there is no - zero - positive outcome that results from spending another another season getting 12-14 minutes a game in a grinding role on the third line, and he’s still a high-value asset. Whatever Laf is being told, it’s wrong - he doesn’t look at all like the player who won back-to-back CHL POY and was near-universally regarded as the most pro-ready prospect since Matthews. He isn’t playing the way he found so much success and he isn’t being put in positions to do so - for example, the kid was the perfect PP QB yet is basically used as a pilon by the Rangers.

Kreider and Panarin are locked in above him in the lineup and the Rangers have a blue chip LW prospect in Othmann. It is either blatant stupidity or an intentional effort to kill Lafreniere’s career to not trade him for someone who fits their team better at this point, to a team who will actually try to develop the player into a star.

Edit for the imbeciles: my ideal outcome here is this proves to be a jinx thread and Lafreniere become an Art Ross winner with the Rangers.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Listen, Lafreniere sucks right now and the Rangers are trying to compete. But there is no - zero - positive outcome that results from spending another another season getting 12-14 minutes a game in a grinding role on the third line, and he’s still a high-value asset. Whatever Laf is being told, it’s wrong - he doesn’t look at all like the player who won back-to-back CHL POY and was near-universally regarded as the most pro-ready prospect since Matthews. He isn’t playing the way he found so much success and he isn’t being put in positions to do so - for example, the kid was the perfect PP QB yet is basically used as a pilon by the Rangers.

Kreider and Panarin are locked in above him in the lineup and the Rangers have a blue chip LW prospect in Othmann. It is either blatant stupidity or an intentional effort to kill Lafreniere’s career to not trade him for someone who fits their team better at this point.

Of course there is, you're clueless.

Yes he was, he just sucked ass in them.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
NYR

I mean he’s played like half his career in our top-six.

upload_2021-12-1_20-25-59.png

Last edited:

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012

Kreider and Panarin are locked in above him in the lineup and the Rangers have a blue chip LW prospect in Othmann. It is either blatant stupidity or an intentional effort to kill Lafreniere’s career to not trade him for someone who fits their team better at this point, to a team who will actually try to develop the player into a star.

"The Rangers have too many good players so they should give away a 1st overall pick to someone else"

Back in your box. :laugh:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
"The Rangers have too many good players so they should give away a 1st overall pick to someone else"

Back in your box. :laugh:
It’s a stretch to say Lafreniere’s even a good third liner at this point, and you should know that better than anyone. If the Rangers are looking to compete, then use his diminishing value to upgrade the position.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Clueless.

He'll get another shot and more opptunities, until then he has to show something.
Where’s that shot going to be? Why would the Rangers drop Panarin or Kreider down to facilitate it?

This player is not the Lafreniere I watched throughout junior. Not even close. If the Rangers want him to (maybe) develop into a nice defensively-responsible middle-six winger, then that’s their decision. I’d question their asset management at that point, though.

Reactions: wetcoast

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
That’s not what you want on your 3rd line, though. Did you read the premise of the thread?
So instead we should trade him (the premise of the thread) when his value is at an all time low, likely the lowest it will be for the rest of his career? Why would we do that? I’d rather take our chances. If it doesn’t work out and his career never takes off, why exactly should I care about him? His career after the Rangers is not my problem.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

He got overhyped. If he was as pro-ready as Matthews, or close to as ready no coach in the world wouldn't have him in the top 6 of an NHL team. He's not really dynamic, or has a real trait that makes him stand out significantly compared to the highly hyped guys prior to him like Matthews, McDavid, MacKinnon and Eichel. All those guys had clear traits you could look at and say it easily projected into a top 5 or so trait in the league (Eichel and MacKinnon's Speed/Strength combo, Matthews size/hands/shot combo, McDavid's speed/hands combo). He relied heavily on strength in the Q, something which doesn't stand out at the NHL, so he lacks a way to create time and space at the NHL level.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That’s not what you want on your 3rd line, though. Did you read the premise of the thread?
You mean the false premise that he hasn't been given opportunities to play in the top 6 or on the PP?

He's not a top 6 LW NHL player at this point. So trading him wouldn't solve the issue of him playing on the third line.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
So instead we should trade him (the premise of the thread) when his value is at an all time low, likely the lowest it will be for the rest of his career? Why would we do that? I’d rather take our chances. If it doesn’t work out and his career never takes off, why exactly should I care about him? His career after the Rangers is not my problem.
Smells of sunk cost fallacy. The longer this level of play continues, the less the Rangers can point to his potential to entice other teams.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Smells of sunk cost fallacy. The longer this level of play continues, the less the Rangers can point to his potential to entice other teams.
You make it sound like there’s a 0% chance his play can rebound. People said the same thing about Kakko and now he’s looking great. It took long enough, and maybe it will Lafreniere just as long. I’m willing to wait.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
You mean the false premise that he hasn't been given opportunities to play in the top 6 or on the PP?

He's not a top 6 LW NHL player at this point. So trading him wouldn't solve the issue of him playing on the third line.
That’s not what I said at all. Those opportunities have came and went (I know he still plays PP2, but is deployed about as poorly as he could be on that unit). Could they come back? Maybe.

The premise is value maximization of the asset.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014

Lafreniere is not on a grinding line. Lafreniere - Chytil - Gauthier is a line expected to create production.

Panarin, Kreider, and Kakko are not moving down. Panarin and Strome thrive with grinders. Lafreniere will benefit more without them learning to drive play. I also think it’s very possible he gets the right wall on the power play after Strome moves on.

As long as he ends up with avg 14-15 minutes by the end of the year, I’m good with that.

Reactions: haveandare

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad