Rumor: Rangers One of Many to Extend a Tryout to Ryan Malone

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHB*

From a cap and corsi perspective, yeah without a doubt. I don't think Glass will be an everyday player.

I don't necessarily disagree with this and I certainly don't think he should be an everyday player, but it's a massive problem when management signs our 13th man for more then a million more then necessary.

BarbaraAlphanse

I imagine that the offensive roster will be like such (if Malone makes the squad):

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Miller-MSL (Miller being subbed out w/ Moore in the final 10-15 minutes of the game)
Stempniak-Brassard-Zucc
Glass-Moore-Malone
Lindberg

Lindberg assumes starting LW position on the 4th line within 40 games.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I imagine that the offensive roster will be like such (if Malone makes the squad):

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Miller-MSL (Miller being subbed out w/ Moore in the final 10-15 minutes of the game)
Stempniak-Brassard-Zucc
Glass-Moore-Malone
Lindberg

Lindberg assumes starting LW position on the 4th line within 40 games.

Why would they put Lindberg on the wing when they already have a capable winger in Fast?

BarbaraAlphanse

Why would they put Lindberg on the wing when they already have a capable winger in Fast?

I assume for the same reason that they moved Boyle to the wing - to have the flexibility to be aggressive on face-offs.

AV rolled w/ 5 centers last year.

Who's going to be our 5th center this year? Eventually, that will be Lindberg. And since Moore is the vet, I believe that Lindberg will be called upon as a winger, and potential 2nd line center on the PK unit.

BarbaraAlphanse

Lombardi will be

I think counting on Lombardi to be anything important to this line up would be absolutely reckless.

He hasn't has been over a year removed from playing in an NHL game and wasn't able to play in one full NHL season for his last 4.

And Lindberg is one hell of a prospect, in my opinion.

I think he can be our best 4th liner by the next 2-3 years. Important piece to the future, for sure.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I think counting on Lombardi to be anything important to this line up would be absolutely reckless.

He hasn't has been over a year removed from playing in an NHL game and wasn't able to play in one full NHL season for his last 4.

And Lindberg is one hell of a prospect, in my opinion.

I think he can be our best 4th liner by the next 2-3 years. Important piece to the future, for sure.

Good point--I'm very happy to have Dom Moore centering the 4th line for the next two years. He's been great. But, I definitely like the idea of having Lundberg spend time on the wing, so he can learn from him too.

I have nothing against Lombardi, but as you point out, we have no idea if he can still play in the NHL. It's a tougher game than Europe and while speed is important, sometimes players have to stand their ground and take a hit to be effective in this league.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
You know I totally forgot about Lindberg.

I'd love for him to flank D. Moore and be his eventual replacement.

BarbaraAlphanse

You know I totally forgot about Lindberg.

I'd love for him to flank D. Moore and be his eventual replacement.

I can forsee a 4th line of:

Lindberg-Moore-Malone/Glass

I expect Stempniak to take the 3rd LW spot. But I don't know if he's the ideal guy to be on that line. That position could very well be one that we're looking to improve at the trade deadline this year. And not even with a guy who would be here for a long time - but more rather a dominant replacement who would help for the playoffs and then transition the Rangers from him to Duclair/Buchnevich.

Someone like a Bobby Ryan or a Chris Stewart, that would be let go at the end of the year.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Can't remember the last time the Rangers put a Q & A session with a supposedly washed up, damaged goods player on one of their websites.

Interesting.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Brooks all but saying it's a done deal at this point. Just go to the Post and check it.

Interesting.

On the one hand it makes you wonder if they have some doubts about some of their younger guys....or if they are just looking for size and some scoring at a bargain.

I could see that. Getting a guy who can score 10 - 15 goals, is big and tough and getting him for $650 - $750K is a bargain.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
It is only a matter of when and for what amount free agent Ryan Malone will sign with the Rangers. The remaining questions pertain to whether the 34-year-old winger will be able to earn a spot and what roles he might fill for the Blueshirts.

First, the roster.

Then, redemption.

Malone, bought out of the final season of his seven-year deal with the Lightning following his April arrest for DUI and cocaine possession, participated in Monday’s informal workout at the Rangers’ practice rink with approximately 20 would-be teammates on what was the first day of his second chance at an NHL career.

http://nypost.com/2014/09/08/ryan-malone-joins-rangers-looking-for-absolution-and-a-job/

Looks like we're giving him a go.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Brooks all but saying it's a done deal at this point. Just go to the Post and check it.

Interesting.

On the one hand it makes you wonder if they have some doubts about some of their younger guys....or if they are just looking for size and some scoring at a bargain.

I could see that. Getting a guy who can score 10 - 15 goals, is big and tough and getting him for $650 - $750K is a bargain.

It could be that, or just extra depth.

member 116805

I like the guy, hope he gets signed and gets back on track

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
He admitted his mistake and he's willing to work hard to make the team. At this point, he just wants any roll he can get. Anything the Rangers need him to do to help the team and to win.

I like it. Worst case scenario is we bury him, but if he gets back to form and makes the team, he could be a nice addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad