Confirmed with Link: Rangers name Alain Vigneault head coach - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
:vhappy:

Got rid of Torts AND got the best coach available. Also no Messier. Good start to the offseason for ol' Glenny. Now just avoid the FA market, trade DZ for a young forward, and we're ready to go for next season.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Are Bowness and Brown going to come with him? What happens to Sully? Dineen? I know I don't even have to ask about Benny Allaire ;)

EDIT - Bowness in Tampa

Last edited:

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
Or hold onto DZ and see what he can do when a coach removes the chains from him...

Also, you guys know AV's power play was **** last year too? Isn't that one of this boards biggest complaints??
:laugh:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

Got rid of Torts AND got the best coach available. Also no Messier. Good start to the offseason for ol' Glenny. Now just avoid the FA market, trade DZ for a young forward, and we're ready to go for next season.

Yeah now the dirty work begins, a lot of work to be done....

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Or hold onto DZ and see what he can do when a coach removes the chains from him...

Also, you guys know AV's power play was **** last year too? Isn't that one of this boards biggest complaints??
:laugh:

Kesler was injured the majority of the year; he's a huge part of their PP.

It was 4th, 1st, and 6th in the three years prior, so...

gardenparty

Oct 21, 2011
Are Bowness and Brown going to come with him? What happens to Sully? Dineen? I know I don't even have to ask about Benny Allaire ;)

Bowness has already been hired by the Lightning. I would say Brown is 'likely.' Very rare that a coach inherits assistants. Usually brings in his own.

It's all good. The only potential negative is AV's run-in with a couple of officials (coudn't be worse that Torts, right?). I recall a game this season in Edmonton when AV called out a ref (can't recall his name) after the game for giving him a bench minor in the 3rd period. The Canucks got hosed by that guy in the playoff series vs the Sharks....although I'm not sure if it was because of him or some of their whiners/divers like Burrows and Kesler.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Kesler was injured the majority of the year; he's a huge part of their PP.

It was 4th, 1st, and 6th in the three years prior, so...

Not saying either way myself but does it bode well for us that his PP was good with Kesler and bad without him? I mean Kesler isn't coming with Vingeault so perhaps the non-Kesler PP results are a more accurate reflection of his strategies (obv small sample size)

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Bowness has already been hired by the Lightning. I would say Brown is 'likely.' Very rare that a coach inherits assistants. Usually brings in his own.

It's all good. The only potential negative is AV's run-in with a couple of officials (coudn't be worse that Torts, right?). I recall a game this season in Edmonton when AV called out a ref (can't recall his name) after the game for giving him a bench minor in the 3rd period. The Canucks got hosed by that guy in the playoff series vs the Sharks....although I'm not sure if it was because of him or some of their whiners/divers like Burrows and Kesler.

This is much more the reason than AV, also Lapierre

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Not saying either way myself but does it bode well for us that his PP was good with Kesler and bad without him? I mean Kesler isn't coming with Vingeault so perhaps the non-Kesler PP results are a more accurate reflection of his strategies (obv small sample size)

Hey, maybe Newell Brown won't get hired! :)

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL 1m
In Alain Vigneault, #NYR hire a smart, driven, direct and classy coach who makes it all about the team.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 1m
Vigneault will be named coach of the New York Rangers, however, his contract is still being drawn up and as such has not been signed.

gardenparty

Oct 21, 2011
I eagerly await his first interview.

Don't expect Tort's candor. He leans more toward the mundane/boring/PC with his answers, but will occasionally crack the media up (or himself) with an unexpected quip. But I'm okay with this. Saying someone "stinks" on the power play is not a good motivating tool.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
John Shannon @JSportsnet
Amazing turn of events for Alain Vigneault. Was very close to agreeing with Dallas,before agreeing with NYR. #brightlightsofbroadway

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
"He’s a guy that’s come through, I guess, the same ranks as I have,” Julien told the Daily News on Saturday morning, when Vigneault’s hiring was anticipated. “He’s a hard worker, he’s a good coach, smart guy. He has the knowledge, he’s always had the respect of his players, everybody I’ve talked to. And he’s a dedicated individual.

“Like all of us coaches, that’s what his life is, is hockey,” Julien continued. “He’s a guy that has a lot of assurance in what he does. He’s confident, and he exudes that as a coach. I mean, his teams have always been well-prepared. Every year he’s been in Vancouver, they’ve been a great team and they’ve been a top team and it speaks volumes about his work
.”

"We kind of have a rivalry with those guys over the past couple years, and their team always seems well-coached,” Sharp said of the Canucks. “They play their system well. They’re disciplined, and they play on the edge, as well. So he’s a guy that is used to coaching in big markets. Vancouver’s a lot of media attention. Everything he does is kind of analyzed.”

Vigneault, despite being a defenseman as a player, also is well known to have afforded his top talents offensive freedom, led by the Sedin twins in Vancouver. That fact did not go unnoticed to foes.

“They’ve got some pretty good players in Vancouver, and he definitely gives them the freedom to do what they want offensively, and they can be creative in the offensive zone,” Sharp said. “But the thing about those guys in Vancouver, and this might be a product of Vigneault, as well, is that they work just as hard coming back playing defensively as they do in the offensive zone, and that’s a sign of a good coach, too.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...ngers-coaching-offer-article-1.1373712?pgno=1

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008

We just need 1 more scoring threat... I hear Gaborik is available. :sarcasm:

Agreed regarding DZ. Need some more offense.

But I am happy we didn't go with Messier or Gretzky. Does Vigneault play an offensive game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad