Rumor: Rangers may be looking to sign Colin Suellentrop

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
No thank you. No need to waste contracts on ECHL players, at best a bottom pair AHLer.

Girardi was an undrafted free agent and spent time in the ECHL. The odds are very slim that Suellentrop can have the same success, but every team reserves a number of contracts for players just like him. So if it isn't this kid, it will be some other long shot.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

No thank you. No need to waste contracts on ECHL players, at best a bottom pair AHLer.

You haven't watched Colin skate a single shift. You don't know anything about him. So why bother with the foolish statement? :dunce:

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
You haven't watched Colin skate a single shift. You don't know anything about him. So why bother with the foolish statement? :dunce:

Is his opinion any worse than the others here talking about how he can be a future all-star defenseman (another girardi) after not seeing him play at all either?

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Not a single poster in this thread did that

two people brought up Girardi in this thread.

Nobody said he was guaranteed to be the next Girardi, but seriously.

They have never seen him play and are saying theres a possibility he could be an all-star defenseman.

Its just as bad as hating on him

Dec 13, 2010
I'm definitely not the most knowledgeable or active OHL fan on the board and won't claim to be, but I've seen 3 Generals games this year and Suellentrop has been noticeably good in 2 of them (once against Erie, once against Guelph). The other game I saw was early in the season and I didn't really notice him, the last two times I saw him play he stood out.

Definitely remember that he's an overager, and while his point production has gone up in the last few years he's not that type of player. He was drafted into the OHL as a stay-at-home defenseman and just honestly doesn't have the size to be that kind of guy at the NHL level. It's always possible he can fill out or maybe hit a late growth spurt, but those types of things are rare. Generally, if you're playing in the CHL as an overager you probably don't have much of a shot at the NHL. Wouldn't look at this move as anything more than a depth signing at this point.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
two people brought up Girardi in this thread.

Nobody said he was guaranteed to be the next Girardi, but seriously.

They have never seen him play and are saying theres a possibility he could be an all-star defenseman.

Its just as bad as hating on him

There's a possibility that ANY defenseman can be an all-star defenseman. Bringing up Girardi was just to prove that it is possible. No one said it was anything but a very remote possibility with regards to Suellentrop. No one said that he would be in any way, shape or form like Girardi. The point was, Girardi did it, so it can be done. If you want to read more into that statement than is actually there, that's your problem.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
There's a possibility that ANY defenseman can be an all-star defenseman. Bringing up Girardi was just to prove that it is possible.

So like I said, how is posting "he has the potential to be an all-star defenseman" after not seeing him play at all any more worthy of being posted than saying "hes terrible dont sign him"

Both are ridiculous.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So like I said, how is posting "he has the potential to be an all-star defenseman" after not seeing him play at all any more worthy of being posted than saying "hes terrible dont sign him"

Both are ridiculous.

Bringing up Girardi is an example people use to justify the practice of signing unheralded, unknown free agents. It's also the actual reason why the teams themselves take fliers on these kids--every so often, you catch lightning in a bottle and find Dan Girardi, Matt Read, or Marty St. Louis. Or even just good organizational guys that can help your AHL team and serve as an injury call up. There's nothing ridiculous about it in any way, shape or form.

It IS ridiculous to just dismiss someone outright. What if we have a couple amateur scouts that think he's a diamond in the rough? We're going to pass on him because someone looked at a stat sheet and decided he sucks? Get out of here.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
It IS ridiculous to just dismiss someone outright.

Its ridiculous to say he could be the next girardi too.

Lets try to base something on something like, i dont know, watching him play?

Its totally pointless to just throw out both sides of the spectrum.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Both are ridiculous.

Seriously? Are you being willfully ignorant are you really not understanding?

I'll post it again and bold the important parts so maybe you'll get it.

Girardi was an undrafted free agent and spent time in the ECHL. The odds are very slim that Suellentrop can have the same success, but every team reserves a number of contracts for players just like him. So if it isn't this kid, it will be some other long shot.

No one said it was anything but a very remote possibility with regards to Suellentrop. No one said that he would be in any way, shape or form like Girardi.

Maybe you should try reading what people actually write rather than trying to put words in people's mouths.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Its ridiculous to say he could be the next girardi too.

Lets try to base something on something like, i dont know, watching him play?

Its totally pointless to just throw out both sides of the spectrum.

EDIT: I don't know if you're being wilfully ignorant here or what, but I'm not going to get into this any further.

We have 50 contracts. Some longshot will be given a chance. That's how it works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad