Pre-Game Talk: Rangers @ Lightning: Thursday, November 19 at 7:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
yes! We're at the top of the power rankings but the caveat is we suck because of bad Corsi numbers....teams on the bottom of the league have good Corsi so they don't suck. :huh:

It's not even that. I agree that corsi has some importance. But only if it's used in context. Yes our overall 5on5 corsi #s look crappy, but if you use it in close and tied situations, we are actually in the top half of the league. It's the #s without context to try to prove a narrative, that's bothersome.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
The Rangers were out of the playoffs sitting with a .500 record last season into December, then won the Presidents Trophy. True, we had injuries that led to losses, but I would not start anticipating the Blots being out until at least the New Year.

I think we're hoping, not predicting. ;)

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
It might suck for that fans, but the day off is well needed for the athletes both physically and mentally.

Yeah to be honest this years schedule has been the best for the team in recent years. Plenty of practice time and rest early on and its resulted in points.

I don't think the back to backs are that bad. Its more about the 3 in 4 nights and 4 in 6 that kill.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
lolBlots_zps7tomfngi.jpg

The Temper Bey Blots

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
It's not even that. I agree that corsi has some importance. But only if it's used in context. Yes our overall 5on5 corsi #s look crappy, but if you use it in close and tied situations, we are actually in the top half of the league. It's the #s without context to try to prove a narrative, that's bothersome.

To be totally fair, the numbers don't usually work this way. Teams that are good possession teams are usually good in all situations. The Rangers and their super turtle when they lead are a special case.

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
To be totally fair, the numbers don't usually work this way. Teams that are good possession teams are usually good in all situations. The Rangers and their super turtle when they lead are a special case.

Exactly. I wish they would shoot more when they lead by 2+ goals, which they have had for 247 minutes this year. It just doesn't seem to be part of their game. They tend to get badly outshot in 3rd periods because we tend to have leads. Often by 2 or more goals. Who are we to question this strategy when they are 160-1-9 in the last 170 games when having a lead after 2 periods. It works very well in the regular season. Not so much in the playoffs, as we saw in the final a few years ago. I hope AV because I little more flexible with the strategy this year, depending on the situation. I truly believe this will be the difference, whether this team wins the cup or not.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, the 2013 Hawks had a 15-0-3 record in their first 18 games, only 3 points ahead of us. Only 2 points ahead if you take out the BS shootout victories from both teams.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Exactly. I wish they would shoot more when they lead by 2+ goals, which they have had for 247 minutes this year. It just doesn't seem to be part of their game. They tend to get badly outshot in 3rd periods because we tend to have leads. Often by 2 or more goals. Who are we to question this strategy when they are 160-1-9 in the last 170 games when having a lead after 2 periods. It works very well in the regular season. Not so much in the playoffs, as we saw in the final a few years ago. I hope AV because I little more flexible with the strategy this year, depending on the situation. I truly believe this will be the difference, whether this team wins the cup or not.

I'm not sure when the streak began but the Rangers have played 76 playoff games in the last 4 seasons, yet you focus on one series. Also this is 170 games and yet again you focus on one series. That one bad series doesn't prove that the strategy doesn't work. It's likely an outlier.

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
I'm not sure when the streak began but the Rangers have played 76 playoff games in the last 4 seasons, yet you focus on one series. Also this is 170 games and yet again you focus on one series. That one bad series doesn't prove that the strategy doesn't work. It's likely an outlier.
Your right. Its not that the strategy doesn't work in the playoffs. It just isn't as lock down in the playoffs as it is in the regular season.We get trapped in our zone a little too often in the playoffs when protecting a lead. This just happened to cost us a couple games in the biggest series this team has been in over the last 22 years. I'm not knocking the strategy. I think it's a great strategy. Evidenced by the record they have put up over the last 5-6 years when leading after 2 periods. I just want to see this team win a cup soooooo bad, and I don't want to go through a series like that again. If we kept the pressure up a little bit more than we did in games 1,2, and 5 and the refs weren't a train wreck, I think we win that series. I just don't wanna see them come so close, and fall just short again because AV isn't flexible with the strategy in big situations.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Your right. Its not that the strategy doesn't work in the playoffs. It just isn't as lock down in the playoffs as it is in the regular season.We get trapped in our zone a little too often in the playoffs when protecting a lead. This just happened to cost us a couple games in the biggest series this team has been in over the last 22 years. I'm not knocking the strategy. I think it's a great strategy. Evidenced by the record they have put up over the last 5-6 years when leading after 2 periods. I just want to see this team win a cup soooooo bad, and I don't want to go through a series like that again. If we kept the pressure up a little bit more than we did in games 1,2, and 5 and the refs weren't a train wreck, I think we win that series. I just don't wanna see them come so close, and fall just short again because AV isn't flexible with the strategy in big situations.

I mean, it's a frustrating strategy to say the least. But the Kings were shot out of a cannon, I don't think they turtled, I think LA was just that good. I've seen plenty of third periods where we didn't put too much pressure, but the other team didn't either.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
I mean, it's a frustrating strategy to say the least. But the Kings were shot out of a cannon, I don't think they turtled, I think LA was just that good. I've seen plenty of third periods where we didn't put too much pressure, but the other team didn't either.

LA played 3 forwards 1 Dman and Doughty against us in the 3rd periods. They just threw in the kitchen sink every time. They were just awesome out there nothing the rangers could of done IMO.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Is it Thursday yet ? (these long breaks between games are.. distressing, hehe).

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
If they protected a lead the way they did in the 3rd period in game 6 vs Montreal I wouldn't give two ***** about how they won. They way they protect the lead now gives me agita like the Torts days.

Pfranz94

Jan 16, 2014
New York
I agree with this. The Kings were great in that series. I just think in games 1 and 2 once we got those early leads, we tried to fall back into a more defensive position way to early, and it cost us. You are absolutely right though. The rangers 99%of the time, lock down leads,
And 99.9%of the time after 2 periods. I just think we aloud them to thorough the kitchen sink at us way to early in the game.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
So, it looks like we're lucking out a bit, with the Bolts seemingly catching the injury bug.

Drouin, Callahan, Johnson, and Paquette are all DTD. I believe Palat is still out.

That's their forward group...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad