Value of: Rangers late first (~28/31 OA) and one of Spooner/Namestnikov at the draft

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
The Athletic reported that Gorton would be open to possibly moving a first rounder (most likely one of the two later picks from Boston or Tampa) in exchange for a young roster player or prospect on the cusp of entering the league. If NY was to package one of those picks with an RFA like Ryan Spooner or Vlad Namestnikov, who, ideally, fit as complementary top-six wingers on a competitive team, what could potential returns be? Biggest needs for the Rangers are RHD and scoring wingers.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
That's a fishy story. It sounds like they are trying to trade what they already have for the same thing they already have. It really sounds like the source knows specifically who the target is but cannot say publicly. I just don't know who this is describing or more importantly why a team who had a guy who was nhl ready wouldn't see what they had before trading him.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I'd think Hayes might be the guy they opt to move as both Spooner and Names have looked good.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I'd think Hayes might be the guy they opt to move as both Spooner and Names have looked good.
I don't see the Rangers moving Hayes. They guy has been really good this year. Spooner and Namestikov have slowed down considerably after their irrational start.

Reactions: Rangers_23

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
The only one that sounds to make sense logistically is zuccarello. He's been a great ranger but in terms of asset Management and diminishing returns through a rebuild, there is really no reason to keep him. And leadership for the youth isn't a good reason, you can sign veteran FAs for that and lundqvist isn't going anywhere (likely staal either)

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Of course they don't have to. I just think he would be the guy that brings the best return out of the 3. I think Namestnikov is the 2nd line center next season. They can't acquire this guy for Miller and not resign him. Spooner could be moved but I think he is valuable to NYR moving forward as both a C and a wing.

Spooner has 13pts in 11 games as a Ranger, I'm not sure he has slowed down considerably.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Step 1. Trade McDonagh for a 1st and Namestnikov
Step 2. Trade a 1st and Namestnikov for a defenceman

I get that they got more than just those two pieces. I'm mostly joking. But I get the feeling the Rangers are going to keep Namestnikov, and use the pick. They started this rebuild pretty early, compared to other teams. I think they'll stick with it.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Dumba?

I mean I'd think they'd move a late 1st for one of the RFAs under the age of 24 this summer

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

But Hayes has looked better than both of them? Spooner gets his points but not really that noticeable. Namestnikov has looked pretty bad.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I'm weirded out a bit by the Rangers. They seem to want to rebuild but then , as a place a lot of UFA'S would want to go, they probably don't have to because the big stars will still want to sign there. I'm not sure they know what they want to do! o_O

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm weirded out a bit by the Rangers. They seem to want to rebuild but then , as a place a lot of UFA'S would want to go, they probably don't have to because the big stars will still want to sign there. I'm not sure they know what they want to do! o_O
Seems pretty clear imo. If they wanted to spend money on UFAs they'd have kept Stepan, McDonagh, Miller, etc. Getting UFAs to want to come to you is just a fraction of the issue - the main problem with them is you almost always pay them for what they've done rather than what they're going to do for you. You'll get maybe 2-3 years of the play you're paying for on a UFA deal, then they'll fade and you'll have a bad contract, an anchor, an extremely expensive complementary player, etc.

They're "retooling" aka trying to rebuild over the course of 2-3 years. They have a lot of kids with NHL potential already stockpiled - Andersson, Chytil, Pionk, Gilmour, Ronning, Lindgren, Hajek, etc. And they have a ton of picks in the upcoming draft to add to that, as well as likely shipping out vets like Zuccarello, Spooner, Namestnikov, etc

I'd guess/assume they want to use as many of these kids as possible to make up the future core of the team, as they're cost controlled for as long as possible, and the league is getting younger and faster every year. Then they'll likely use their UFA attractiveness to fill out the roster around those homegrown players.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
So basically, who's in cap hell that isn't going to be able to qualify a pending RFA? I would look to the top of the spending list and work backwards. What's happening with Athanasiou or however you spell it? It can't be a major guy or elseca late first doesn't get you anything. Would that be decent value? I don't watch wings games.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
So basically, who's in cap hell that isn't going to be able to qualify a pending RFA? I would look to the top of the spending list and work backwards. What's happening with Athanasiou or however you spell it? It can't be a major guy or elseca late first doesn't get you anything. Would that be decent value? I don't watch wings games.

I wouldn’t trade a 1st and/or either one of Namestnikov or Spooner for Athanasiou, the latter of whom would be, at best, a lateral exchange for one of those two Rangers.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I think we’ll see one of the late 1st round picks packaged with Zucc/Spooner/Namestnikov for a higher pick.

For Zucc+1st, I think the Rangers get somewhere around 12-14.

For Spoons/Nammy+1st, they get somewhere around 18-20.

In my opinion this trade will occur during the draft if the Rangers see a player they really want on the board. I think it likely happens because the Rangers tend to have a very different draft board compared to other NHL teams.

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
The rangers have two very good RHD in shatty and pionk and DeAngelo as a third pair , scoring wingers which they have in the pipeline in ronning, Gettinger, etc they just need to fill the pool of prospects to keep them steady in the coming years I’d roll with the team they have now into next season with namestikov and spooner signed and then draft the best player available at the given selections

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I wouldn’t trade a 1st and/or either one of Namestnikov or Spooner for Athanasiou, the latter of whom would be, at best, a lateral exchange for one of those two Rangers.
My mistake. I was talking about AA for one if the late firsts without Spooner or Namestnikov.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I think we’ll see one of the late 1st round picks packaged with Zucc/Spooner/Namestnikov for a higher pick.

For Zucc+1st, I think the Rangers get somewhere around 12-14.

For Spoons/Nammy+1st, they get somewhere around 18-20.

For the Oilers likely #7, the Rangers could send one of Spooner/Nammy and #29 and #30 or whatever it ends up being. ;) :popcorn:

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Out of Hayes, Names, and Spoon - Spoon will be the one who goes if at all. His value is at an all time high. I would think that Spooner + 28OA gets us in the 16-18 range or a B+/A- prospect and an NHL body

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
For the Oilers likely #7, the Rangers could send one of Spooner/Nammy and #29 and #30 or whatever it ends up being. ;) :popcorn:

I highly doubt that.

The Rangers sent Stepan and Raanta for #7 and DeAngelo last year.

I don't think it's going to cost that much to get only the 7th pick in return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad