Pre-Game Talk: Rangers @ icelanders Thursday 2/16 @ 7:00 EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
To be fair, Vesey and Skjei were both healthy scratched this season and Buch wasn't.

Though it is really frustrating for AV to not give him any extended chances to stay in the top 9.

But Buch was really bad Monday night in a game where AV started him with Nash-Zibanejad. So it's not like it's out of nowhere. Hopefully he can watch from up top and get motivated and draw back in next game.

I wish Puempel could play center, I like his game better than Oscar's.

When was Vesey a healthy scratch? I know he missed a game for an upper-body injury, but he's been in the lineup every game he's been healthy enough to be in the lineup.

I think people are reading into my posts conclusions that aren't there.

In summary:

I'm thrilled that AV is willing to continue giving Vesey all these chances.

I just want him to do the same for PB.

That's all.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I think we went 6-0 against them in 2003-04. Last year was frustrating. This would be a nice win there.

We were :laugh: . I will never forget Mike Peca whining on a post game about us going 6-0 against the Isles and yet losing to a team that the Islanders were fighting for playoff position with (I think Toronto).

maybe AV doesn't want Buch to skate on the soft ice and re-aggravate his back:dunno:
:biglaugh: That ****** Barclays ice.

Team is top 5 in the NHL and you're upset that it's no longer considered a transition year? Nobody called it that other than posters on hf.

Having said that The kids have been given every opportunity. Buch started the game in the top 6 and was so bad he was a liability even on the 4th line.

Matt Puempel is what 23? He's played very well why should he not get a shot when Buch plays a game that badly?

It happens. Buch was awful last game. Absolutely awful. In my opinion, Buch's worst game (Columbus) was significantly worse than Veseys worst game. I am not too upset about him being a scratch.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Vesey has never been a liability defensively though and that's the big thing with AV can he trust you.

Literally every time Buch was on the ice Monday night we were in trouble.

Rookies have to earn it. Miller certainly did. Hayes was sat many times even last year. Buchnevich shouldn't be babied any more than anyone else

And again you've got an interesting player in Puempel that has proven he can play. He's just a kid too. If we had a spot for him he'd play every night

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Confirmed game is going to be played on Pluto. No longer a planet but is solid ball of ice. Won't have to worry about Zamboni. Just move to a new part of the planet.

The ice conditions would most certainly be better on Pluto. Both places would be devoid of life and can suck the life right out of you.

Pluto would likely have similar attendance, I believe.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Vesey has never been a liability defensively though and that's the big thing with AV can he trust you.

Literally every time Buch was on the ice Monday night we were in trouble.

Rookies have to earn it. Miller certainly did. Hayes was sat many times even last year. Buchnevich shouldn't be babied any more than anyone else

And again you've got an interesting player in Puempel that has proven he can play. He's just a kid too. If we had a spot for him he'd play every night

Monday's game was Buch's worst game as a Ranger.

I am fine with him sitting. He's a rookie. This is how you handle a rookie.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
This is how AV handles this rookie.

This is not how AV handles all rookies.

This is AV making the team worse for a game.

I'm not sure I remotely agree with the bold. Buch was bad enough that I thought he hurt us quite a bit.

Also, what other rookies were as bad as he was defensively? I've never seen Vesey play like a poached turd on the defensive side. At least the effort has always been there. Buch looked like vintage Columbus Nikita Filatov defensively. No effort and no clue.

I think it's a one-time thing since I don't see any trend in that regard. But this is the proper move if he sits him.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You have to teach these kids the right way to play or they become the oilers and islanders of the pst decade. No defense just doing what they want out there zero direction.

Puppy pees on the rug you don't just keep letting him do it. He goes in the crate. You don't just keep letting him do it and hope he figures out not to.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
As long as Buch doesn't become a consistent scratch, I can live with this.

Either way, we need him going into the playoffs to be confident and playing well. He can be an x-factor.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
This is how AV handles this rookie.

This is not how AV handles all rookies.

This is AV making the team worse for a game.

This is a learning process for PB. He will get a different view from up top. It will make him realize that he has to play hard. AV benched Zooks for a game early in 2014 and then Zooks went on to lead the team in scoring that season.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'm not sure I remotely agree with the bold. Buch was bad enough that I thought he hurt us quite a bit.

Also, what other rookies were as bad as he was defensively? I've never seen Vesey play like a poached turd on the defensive side. At least the effort has always been there. Buch looked like vintage Columbus Nikita Filatov defensively. No effort and no clue.

I think it's a one-time thing since I don't see any trend in that regard. But this is the proper move if he sits him.

Vesey has had his share of absolute **** defensive games.

He had a game this year when his shot attempts against per 60 was 140! He's had three games this year when his GA60 was over 15.

In only 10 of his 56 games has Vesey been on the ice for more 5v5 goals for than goals against.

29/54 games Vesey was out-attempted.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This is a learning process for PB. He will get a different view from up top. It will make him realize that he has to play hard. AV benched Zooks for a game early in 2014 and then Zooks went on to lead the team in scoring that season.

This likely has a lot more to do with the fact that Zuccarello is really good, and much less to do with the fact that AV benched him.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The only thing I don't get is that Vesey had been struggling for quite a while now and still got fed consistent 2nd line minutes, whereas Buch was struggling for much shorter time and gets scratched the moment he had an outwardly poor game. The leashes are different lengths.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
You have to teach these kids the right way to play or they become the oilers and islanders of the pst decade. No defense just doing what they want out there zero direction.

Puppy pees on the rug you don't just keep letting him do it. He goes in the crate. You don't just keep letting him do it and hope he figures out not to.

Vesey did not pee on the rug.

The crate is supposed to be the puppy's sanctuary & home, it shouldn't be used as a jail cell or a punishment in ANY way.

The idea of the crate is that the boundaries extend over time. The crate is "home" therefor puppy won't pee/poop there. Eventually Kitchen is home (or bathroom or gated room, etc.). Then floor is home. Then the house is home. Then ALL houses are homes.

The puppy should be lightly shaken by the nape of neck and told "No." sternly but not aggressively. Then brought outside and praised if he/she pees.

Either way, Buch should NOT be crated.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The only thing I don't get is that Vesey had been struggling for quite a while now and still got fed consistent 2nd line minutes, whereas Buch was struggling for much shorter time and gets scratched the moment he had an outwardly poor game. The leashes are different lengths.

Yes, thank you. This is my frustration.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'm indifferent to Buch being scratched for a single game. If this goes on for several consecutive games, then we have issues.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Vesey has had his share of absolute **** defensive games.

He had a game this year when his shot attempts against per 60 was 140! He's had three games this year when his GA60 was over 15.

In only 10 of his 56 games has Vesey been on the ice for more 5v5 goals for than goals against.

29/54 games Vesey was out-attempted.

I have never seen him play a game where he didn't put in effort, though. I think that's primarily what happened with Buch.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Maybe cause Buch doesn't speak english AV has to bop him on the nose in the middle of a bad act in order for Buch to get the message :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad