Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Hurricanes - March 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I'd love to see the stats on how many OT games we've lost with Hank in net the past 3 years. Reg season and playoffs.

Bet no one will dig that one up though

In 13-14 he had 2 OT losses and 3 SO losses plus 4 OT losses in playoffs
14-15 0 OT losses, 3 SO losses and 1 playoff OT loss
15-16 thus far, 5 OT losses and 2 SO losses

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
No, you just completely misunderstood the fact.

Lundqvist, this season, has a .939 save percentage 5v5. That .939 is the SECOND BEST goalie season since the lockout, among goalies who appeared in 60 or more games during each respective season. The only goalie, since the lockout, who has a better SINGLE SEASON 5v5 sv% was Carey Price last year.

Make more sense now?

Lundqvist is having a career year 5v5.

But, this doesn't matter because of the 10% of the game that is played on the PK. Gotchya.

I never misunderstood the stat. I'm telling you the stat is irrelevant. What you just said I knew.

You're stat-picking. This is not a disciplined team. The PK matters.

Your a typical HF poster. You find some ridiculously irrelevant stat to backup your claim, and therefore it is law. Watch the games, my friend. They tell the story

I'd love to see you find a stat about 3rd period and OT goals, however you won't do it because I guarantee it won't align with your claims

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
In 13-14 he had 2 OT losses and 3 SO losses plus 4 OT losses in playoffs
14-15 0 OT losses, 3 SO losses and 1 playoff OT loss
15-16 thus far, 5 OT losses and 2 SO losses

Thank you sir.

I don't know how these rank league-wide, but that's pretty atrocious if you ask me. 14-15 is a bit of an outlier because he missed a lot of games and IIRC there were quite a few OT losses in 12-13 as well

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Thank you sir.

I don't know how these rank league-wide, but that's pretty atrocious if you ask me. 14-15 is a bit of an outlier because he missed a lot of games and IIRC there were quite a few OT losses in 12-13 as well

12-13 saw him with 3 SO losses and 3 playoff OT losses.
Stats are from hockey-reference.com

Nov 5, 2007
Jersey City
I never misunderstood the stat. I'm telling you the stat is irrelevant.

And yet somehow OT losses, a team statistic, are somehow relevant to showing us all how Hank sucks.

giphy.gif

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
our fan base is so spoiled...when Henrik retires youre going to see a lot of people realizing just how stupid they were. im not commenting on any one person in particular, just our fan base in total. Henrik is a frikkin god...makes our mediocre craptastic team look so much better than it actually is.

Nov 5, 2007
Jersey City
our fan base is so spoiled...when Henrik retires youre going to see a lot of people realizing just how stupid they were. im not commenting on any one person in particular, just our fan base in total. Henrik is a frikkin god...makes our mediocre craptastic team look so much better than it actually is.

P much. Oh Hanks sv% isnt the unsustainable .95% it used to be??? Hes totally regressing into a pile of poo. :rolleyes:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I never misunderstood the stat. I'm telling you the stat is irrelevant. What you just said I knew.

Your a typical HF poster. You find some ridiculously irrelevant stat to backup your claim, and therefore it is law. Watch the games, my friend. They tell the story

I'd love to see you find a stat about 3rd period and OT goals, however you won't do it because I guarantee it won't align with your claims

Is this serious? Are you serious? I honestly can't tell anymore.

In what world, when evaluating goalies, is save percentage irrelevant?

What the hell is happening here?

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
The GOAT thing about this conversation is the fact that there's like 2 people on this entire board that will never admit Hank did anything wrong, everyone else has no problem calling him out for a bad goal/game.

It's just that anyone with eyes can see that the team in front of him has been way more of a problem than he has. I'd implore some to get their eyes checked because theirs suck. Or, ya know, get a spreadsheet ;)

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
The GOAT thing about this conversation is the fact that there's like 2 people on this entire board that will never admit Hank did anything wrong, everyone else has no problem calling him out for a bad goal/game.

It's just that anyone with eyes can see that the team in front of him has been way more of a problem than he has. I'd implore some to get their eyes checked because theirs suck. Or, ya know, get a spreadsheet ;)

Reasons why I loved this tweet.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Our PK is awful because teams realized that we would overload and collapse three players down when the puck was on Hank's short side, which allowed them to move their farside dman up from the point while having a forward slide wide open into the slot backdoor on Hank.

It's basically impossible for a goalie to stop a one-timer like that.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

check my posting history...i have called out henrik TONS of times..ive started threads on him when hes playing poorly.

Henrik has been a complete and utter GOD this season. Theres really no other way to put it. I think people arent really seeing just how poorly the team in front of him is playing.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I think it's mostly a complete coincidence that the PK's gone to utter trash the season two of the most heavily relied upon defenseman have been mostly bad

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
there is a difference between saying he's lost a step or two or his quickness isn't what it was or he's missed more than his share of softies this year and saying he's our problem or he sucks or he's washed up. he's hardly the latter.

my point continues to be that i see inconsistencies in his game that i didn't see before.

i see decisions that surprise me that i didn't before

i see saves hes not making he made before

i see mistakes that require an amazing save to keep the puck out of the net that I'm surprised he even has to make.

i see a guy more emotional and moody than i ever saw before

i see a guy who seems to be showing the effects of not winning a cup by now

and i see a guy who looks to me anyway, to be unable to cover up for the mistakes this team makes on a nightly basis.

no question we are spoiled having hank here. he's taken for granted.

but he is 34 soon to be 35 and he does have many nights where you wonder wtf he's doing.

he just seems to be more human than ever before..... and that in itself says alot.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The fact that Carolina has the 5th overall penalty kill with trash in net leads me to believe that Henrik isn't the main issue on the penalty kill. The skaters are a mess right now.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
there is a difference between saying he's lost a step or two or his quickness isn't what it was or he's missed more than his share of softies this year and saying he's our problem or he sucks or he's washed up. he's hardly the latter.

my point continues to be that i see inconsistencies in his game that i didn't see before.

i see mistakes that require an amazing save to keep the puck out of the net that I'm surprised he even has to make.

and i see a guy who looks to me anyway, to be unable to cover up for the mistakes this team makes on a nightly basis.

but he is 34 soon to be 35 and he does have many nights where you wonder wtf he's doing.

he just seems to be more human than ever before..... and that in itself says alot.

I have to agree with this. Outside if the insane start, Hank has looked 'human' for want of a better word. He certainly doesnt suck, and is by no means an issue with this team (these lie elsewhere).
But after what we are used to seeing it is a little bit worrying, especially with his age and cap hit.

I'd also argue that there isn't a single Ranger fan who doesn't appreciate what Hank has brought to this franchise. IMO even the guys who bag him out in here actually appreciate the player he is, they just want to get a rise out of certain posters

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

More human now, yet solid proof that he should be in the running for a Vezina this season. Interesting!

When you break it down, Lundqvist is the goaltender that checks all the boxes, and that’s why he should win the award. He’s posted solid overall numbers, he’s been a beast 5-on-5, he’s faced a lot of shots, many of which are high quality chances. Defensively he has not had the support he’s enjoyed in previous years, and he’s been beyond valuable to his team.

Whether or not Lundqvist actually wins is a different story altogether, but for right now, he should be the undisputed favorite.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-e...gers/column-lundqvist-favorite-vezina-trophy/

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He seems moodier because the team is playing like garbage in front of him every night.

yep...very much agreed...this season has been a dumpster fire completely masked by a goalie who should be running away with the Vezina, and by career years by MZA and Brassgod. so many players playing bad hockey.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Also another good article on goaltending going into the playoffs. For such an absolutely terrible season Lundqvist is supposedly having, Travis Yost seems to think otherwise!

One of the curious observations about this year’s pool of Stanley Cup hopefuls is that the goaltending position isn’t exactly set in stone for a number of clubs. Yes, everyone knows that the best goaltender entering the field of 16 plays in Manhattan, but beyond that there’s a fair bit of uncertainty. Some teams (Anaheim) are unsure of how a younger goaltender or two will hold up; other teams (San Jose) are preparing to rely on a platoon of talent to try to get them to the Promised Land.

http://www.tsn.ca/uncertainty-surrounds-playoff-goaltending-picture-1.460936

To be clear here: Lundqvist is saving his team about half of a goal every game he plays – my estimate is that the 71 goals he’s actually conceded at 5-on-5 so far this season would look like 105 if a replacement-level goaltender was playing his minutes. When you remember that one win is worth about six net goals, you realize Lundqvist has nearly added six wins alone to his club. And you don’t need to be a mathematician to know that if the Rangers were six wins in the hole, their 2015-16 story would look awfully different.

The Takeaway

There are a lot of fantastic goaltender stories out there this year, but let’s not forget about the one story that’s written the same way every single year – Henrik Lundqvist carrying an otherwise so-so New York Rangers team to another playoff berth by way of Vezina-calibre performance.

http://www.tsn.ca/lundqvist-quietly-continues-run-of-excellence-1.449738

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

How is referencing the part of the game that is not only the most evenly keeled, but also the one where the majority of it is played, stat-picking?

Stat-picking would be looking solely at overtimes and 3rd periods stats to say Lundqvist is having a poor year. You want to focus solely on those because they DO align with your claims. Why do we evaluate teams based on their 5v5 play, and not by period or special teams, or on Wednesdays only? Five versus five is the biggest sample size without any advantages or disadvantages to either team on the ice. That's where you want your players to excel.

Special teams are important as a team, but they are a piss poor way of evaluating talent.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
if he retires without a cup it will be a travesty.

it will also taint his otherwise stellar career

that window is closing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad