News Article: Rangers figure out Alain Vigneault at the perfect time

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
20131220_ads_ae5_188.0_standard_709.0.jpg

In 2006, when he took over as the head coach of the Vancouver Canucks, Alain Vigneault had a vision. This was a different NHL than when he had his first coaching stint in Montreal, a post he held from 1997-01. This was post-2005 NHL lockout; hockey in a league trying to emphasize goal scoring and entertainment value.

And slowly, Vigneault's vision in Vancouver came together. Each year, his Canucks climbed higher and higher in possession metrics like Corsi and Fenwick, according to Hockey Analysis. Finally, in 2011, his finely tuned Vancouver machine fought its way into the Stanley Cup Final with a high-octane, up-tempo style of play. They fell one win shy of lifting the Cup.

When Vigneault was chosen as the Rangers new head coach this past offseason, he was supposed to bring that same style to New York, and change hockey culture on Broadway. He was supposed to fix the offensive problems that befell the John Tortorella era Rangers, a team built from the net out that always fizzled out in the postseason due to a lack of goal scoring.

...much more: http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/5/...sis-alain-vigneault-stanley-cup-playoffs-2014

Last edited by a moderator:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Torts always had the look of, "why is this happening to me?! Why don't I have a team with 12 Messiers and 6 Chelioses?"

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
It shows how with Torts it wasn't personnel, it was personal.

AV is so different, aside from the strategy - he's not a bulldog, he's a supportive type coach. If a player f's up, instead of being in the dog house he gets a pat on the back encouraging him to keep at it and things will turn around. Can you imagine how many pounds of pressure that takes off guys? This roster is a good group of professionals, they can police themselves and don't need to be berated at every opportunity. If a player really does suck (eg MDZ), he'll get moved after he's had a fair number of chances to prove himself

gardenparty

Oct 21, 2011
Remember when the Canadiens scored but had too many men on the ice? AV simply called the refs over, had a brief word but didn't show them up, and that was that. He remained calm, didn't panic and neither did his players. They scored two quick ones right after that.

This is why I love AV.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Remember when the Canadiens scored but had too many men on the ice? AV simply called the refs over, had a brief word but didn't show them up, and that was that. He remained calm, didn't panic and neither did his players. They scored two quick ones right after that.

This is why I love AV.

Outstanding post - I COMPLETELY agree with this!

BwayBshirt

Mar 31, 2004
My NY State of Mind
Like Pierre McGuire has mentioned multiple times throughout this postseason, one can see some Pat Burns in AV's coaching.

He might be one of, if not the closest, head coach in the league style-wise to Burns(RIP).

I always wanted Burns to have the chance to coach the Rangers at some point.

So glad to have AV with this franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad