Pre-Game Talk: Rangers @ Devils: G out, Kostgod in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnarok14

Nov 25, 2011
Deutschland
You're making assumptions based on absolutely nothing. We're not going to have Allen and McIlrath sit on the bench as the 7th D.

People really don't get the process around here at all. I've never seen a group of such impatient people.

I don't think expecting a top ten pick to actually play in the NHL over 4 years after being drafted is impatient at all... I mean, I get your point on the 7th D argument, but if he's no better than Hunwick, that doesn't bode well either. It would be the perfect time to give him a shot with the slot in flux. It's October, what better time to see what we really actually have in McI.

AHB*

I don't think expecting a top ten pick to actually play in the NHL over 4 years after being drafted is impatient at all... I mean, I get your point on the 7th D argument, but if he's no better than Hunwick, that doesn't bode well either. It would be the perfect time to give him a shot with the slot in flux. It's October, what better time to see what we really actually have in McI.

Because losing games in October can be costly in April, or have you missed the past few years?

McIlrath is 22 years old. Large, mobile, D-Men take a long time to develop (See: Chris Pronger).

It's called patience. The Rangers knew it was going to take a while. The only reason McIlrath is slightly behind his original schedule is due to his injury troubles over the past few years. The concept of developing players on HF Boards seems to be incomprehensible unless that player is a 6th round pick.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
It's an 82 game season and hockey players get injured, so we'll probably see both McIlrath and Allen at one point or another. Girardi's day to day. We signed all these AHL+ guys (Hunwick, Kostka, Lombardi, Mueller) - they're further along in the development process, but they still want a chance to impress. It would make sense that they'd get first priority, especially since scratching them isn't really "ruining their development."

Kostka can't singlehandedly ruin the game of hockey two games in a row...right?

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
If G is out, I'd pair Staal-McD, Moore-Klein, Hunwick-Costco. Play the **** out of Staal-McD 30 minutes, and try to shelter the third pair as much as possible. There's 3 days between games so Staal and McD will have plenty of time to recover.

BarbaraAlphanse

Because losing games in October can be costly in April, or have you missed the past few years?

McIlrath is 22 years old. Large, mobile, D-Men take a long time to develop (See: Chris Pronger).

It's called patience. The Rangers knew it was going to take a while. The only reason McIlrath is slightly behind his original schedule is due to his injury troubles over the past few years. The concept of developing players on HF Boards seems to be incomprehensible unless that player is a 6th round pick.

He has already taken leaps and bounds.

He's close. Very close. Had these injuries happened mid-season, it is probably a way different story.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Maybe. I was talking about hockey. I know we're six games in and people are eager to draw conclusions from tiny samples, but two plays don't define his career.

Him sucking on other teams does

Somehow he always ends up at the top of the lineup

Like when he played with Phaneuf that one time

But yeah, he's ass and has always been ass

BarbaraAlphanse

Maybe. I was talking about hockey. I know we're six games in and people are eager to draw conclusions from tiny samples, but two plays don't define his career.

Who's fault is it that his sample size integer is so small?

SupersonicMonkey*

If Girardi misses the game tomorrow, it will be only the 6th game in his last 8 seasons (including this season).

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

As someone who has defended the pick for the past three years, it IS a bit worrisome to me that they'd rather have Kostka up here than give McIlrath a chance.

Ragnarok14

Nov 25, 2011
Deutschland
Pls PM me this week's lottery #'s. TY.

Well I've never won the lottery, and am making no claim of clairvoyance , but I've heard the same thing about McIlwait many times. " he is almost there". " just give him some more time, big D take longer to develop." " don't worry, he will make it soon, besides who needs guys like Fowler or Tarasenko when we've got a Pronger-Beukeboom type Almost Ready! " :shakehead

BarbaraAlphanse

As someone who has defended the pick for the past three years, it IS a bit worrisome to me that they'd rather have Kostka up here than give McIlrath a chance.

I imagine it has something to do with Vigneault and how he conducts his business. Players respect him because he exhausts all opportunities w/ the established guys.

Can any of us have imagined that he would have stuck w/ Pyatt and Pouloit as long as he did last year? Pouloit was about 1 more bad game away from being cut.

I don't think it is necessarily an indictment on McIlrath.

Although, and here is the final and probably most important hitch that will stand in his way... McIlrath's inability to play a transition game.

In any event - I imagine that they prioritized the fundamentals with McI - sound positioning and decision making. This year will probably be re-enforcing those keys, as well as hopefully improving his passing in transition.

BarbaraAlphanse

Well I've never won the lottery, and am making no claim of clairvoyance , but I've heard the same thing about McIlwait many times. " he is almost there". " just give him some more time, big D take longer to develop." " don't worry, he will make it soon, besides who needs guys like Fowler or Tarasenko when we've got a Pronger-Beukeboom type Almost Ready! " :shakehead

I can relate to your frustration. Whether you choose to look at any prospect, glass half empty or glass half full is your own prerogative.

In all likelihood, the vast majority of prospects fail. In which case, realistically speaking, you can point and allude to any prospect as they are developing, predict that they will fail, and have a probability of being correct.

It is my opinion, and let me stress opinion, that McI will eventually crack our line up and become as effective as Douglas Murray in his prime - an excellent shut down 2nd pairing guy who is tough as nails and sticks up for his team mates relentlessly.

I'm entitled to it, as you are to yours.

But condemning someone because you're too narrow minded to even admit the possibility of something else... well that is what I responded to.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

And not for nothing, but the "it takes them a long time to develop" thing is actually another point in the cons column for a draft pick like that in my opinion. Way too much opportunity for something to go wrong in development, and/or for the organization to get impatient, move him, and to subsequently watch him have success elsewhere. Just a very hard pick to defend from day one, and it gets harder every passing day.

As far as Kostka is concerned, the upside is that he cannot possible play worse than he has so far. That said, it is crazy to me that he's the best available taxi squad vet. Really hope he doesn't have to suit up for the Rangers ever again.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
And not for nothing, but the "it takes them a long time to develop" thing is actually another point in the cons column for a draft pick like that in my opinion. Way too much opportunity for something to go wrong in development, and/or for the organization to get impatient, move him, and to subsequently watch him have success elsewhere. Just a very hard pick to defend from day one, and it gets harder every passing day.

As far as Kostka is concerned, the upside is that he cannot possible play worse than he has so far. That said, it is crazy to me that he's the best available taxi squad vet. Really hope he doesn't have to suit up for the Rangers ever again.

Honestly, are you really sure about that? I am not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad