Pre-Game Talk: Rangers @ Devils: G out, Kostgod in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHB*

And not for nothing, but the "it takes them a long time to develop" thing is actually another point in the cons column for a draft pick like that in my opinion. Way too much opportunity for something to go wrong in development, and/or for the organization to get impatient, move him, and to subsequently watch him have success elsewhere. Just a very hard pick to defend from day one, and it gets harder every passing day.

As far as Kostka is concerned, the upside is that he cannot possible play worse than he has so far. That said, it is crazy to me that he's the best available taxi squad vet. Really hope he doesn't have to suit up for the Rangers ever again.

The Rangers knew McIlrath was going to take longer then usual for a top 10 pick to develop. If you have listened to them at all since they drafted him, it's not shocking where he is, especially with the injuries.

He's 22, not 32.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
And you're saying you have?

You're the stats man. What does 64 professional games by the age of 28/29 mean? Means the player stinks like stale feta cheese.

It means that NHL teams still deem him worthy of a place in their organization.
Two pretty good organazations (Hawks and Lightning) dressed him and played him over the past two seasons.

If he were as bad as people are making him out to be he'd be in Europe, the ECHL, or out of hockey completely by age 29.

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out he is a better player than he showed the night against the Isles.
Then again, based on some of these comments, maybe it does?

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Maybe we should finally trade. Plenty of Devil fans hate our 21 years old defenseman Larsson and it seems Mcllrath gets plenty by his fans. Sounds like a good marriage and I no longer have to listen about the kid who will be playing his first NHL game in a while.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Maybe we should finally trade. Plenty of Devil fans hate our 21 years old defenseman Larsson and it seems Mcllrath gets plenty by his fans. Sounds like a good marriage and I no longer have to listen about the kid who will be playing his first NHL game in a while.

I was under the impression that the Devils needed forwards? Maybe JT Miller + for Larsson?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
As others have stated, it is a telling indictment of McIlraths full on bust status at this point , that he can't displace one of the very worst Dmen to ever step foot on an NHL ice surface. It says volumes about how he is viewed in the org.
Also, I still don't buy the story that if we hadn't picked him, there were other teams chomping at the bit. Sounds like PR spin if I've ever heard it!

Again as has been stated REPEATEDLY

We're early in the season
in the A he's getting top line minutes and playing roles he may not play at ghis level like pk.
He's 22 .
They are seeing if their 28 year old vet can play low minutes while the prospect gets top minutes in the development league.

If our current kostka and hunwick pair flounders it doesn't mean we have to call up mci to give him bottom pair play.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Kind of excited for this game. It is going to be interesting to see how this shakes out. (1) normal RD playing should make for an interesting game. Hunwick has been good, let's hope he plays well with Staal.

I am looking forward to seeing Hayes keep up the good play. Hopefully he and Nash continue to work well together. The (2) big bodies create havoc with the size strength and reach.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I can understand people *****ing about the McIlrath pick given where we were at the time and our needs... Scoring, scoring and scoring. That pick was an odd one in that it didn't fill a need since we were so strong on D, had more waiting in the wings etc.

Was he the BPA at the time? Debateable. Which is certainly an issue when picking high but not top 3 or so.

However, we didn't have anyone in our system who projected to be like him either. We lacked toughness, a crease clearer, and someone who took the body consistently.

It was an odd pick at the time. And one that will be hotly debated until he makes it or busts. Calling it at this point however is pre-mature. Yeah we've been hearing he's close for a while. Yeah we all want him up, NOW. Not a bust. Not yet.

AHB*

I was under the impression that the Devils needed forwards? Maybe JT Miller + for Larsson?

I've thought about this. I actually think we make good trading partners with the Devils in this instance. Don't think McIlrath gets us Larsson ATM, but I'd certainly consider doing JT Miller for him.

It means that NHL teams still deem him worthy of a place in their organization.
Two pretty good organazations (Hawks and Lightning) dressed him and played him over the past two seasons.

If he were as bad as people are making him out to be he'd be in Europe, the ECHL, or out of hockey completely by age 29.

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out he is a better player than he showed the night against the Isles.
Then again, based on some of these comments, maybe it does?

Going to side with the other guy on this one. The guy can hardly be called a NHL journeyman having played so little. He's a tweener. Basically, it's better he sit on the bench then our prospects who can actually play. I'd much rather see Falk in there though, or Diaz. Kostka seems like a massive waste of a signing.

Also, if these were just regular mistakes, I"d give him the benefit of the doubt, but there's a cardinal rule not to clear the puck through the center of your own zone, he not only did it once, he did it twice in a matter of minutes. I've never seen that in all of my years watching hockey.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Why are people defending Kostka? Even if he's not guaranteed to commit horrible turnovers like he did last year, he's still clearly not a good NHL defenseman and having to play him while you're already playing your first choice 7th defenseman because of injuries is a bad position to be in.

Ideally, the Rangers never have to play Kostka again. hell, ideally they don't have to play Hunwick any more than is necessary.

AHB*

Why are people defending Kostka? Even if he's not guaranteed to commit horrible turnovers like he did last year, he's still clearly not a good NHL defenseman and having to play him while you're already playing your first choice 7th defenseman because of injuries is a bad position to be in.

Ideally, the Rangers never have to play Kostka again. hell, ideally they don't have to play Hunwick any more than is necessary.

I've liked Hunwick for the most part.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Kostka looked like he was going to **** his pants against the Isles. He was a nervous wreck, one mistake just led to another. Hopefully AV has learned his lesson and will bench Kostka or limit his shifts if he screws up.

Badko

Jan 9, 2007
I fail to see how playing Big Mac can be worse than Kostka. And if I'm Mac, I'm thinking the same thing. This is the perfect opportunity to give the kid a chance to prove himself when we don't have better options. I think not counting on him in this situation hurts his psyche.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad