Pre-Game Talk: Rangers @ Detroit

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Rangers played weird in that series. Lethargic and not sharp for the first 4 games and then came back and looked like the team we were expecting to see.

Against the Islanders again the key is really moving the puck quickly and accurately in their own zone. They attack the puck carrier so much and bring everyone down towards the goal very well so that errant passes or attempts to just clear the puck out of danger often end up back on their sticks. they send two guys hard after the puck carrier and instead of what the Rangers often do (guys glide in trying to take away passes) they send one guy hard after the puck carrier to check him and another guy to take the puck away or help out. It's not really about the hitting, or even about their speed, it's about their aggressiveness at forechecking to regain the puck. Then their D steps up to put pressure on the guys receiving any passes, their center covers the middle of the ice well, etc. but if you move the puck quickly and accurately it can break that up pretty well, which is where Yandle should really help.

Anyways, Detroit, always seem to manage to keep winning. Good team though I'm not much impressed with their goaltending (Howard is OK but not much more than OK) Not taking penalties will probably go a long ways towards winning tonight.

Ridiculous 6 games in 9 nights schedule and no Kreider.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That's a pretty good breakdown of their forecheck. Last game for instance it gave the Rangers fits for a period and a half. Then for some reason the Rangers broke it out a zillion times better and turned the game around.

Detroit is surprisingly really good this year. Tatar and Nyquist have really stepped up. I honestly didn't figure them to be a top team but they have been all year.

I think there aren't that many teams in the league that play the hard hard 2 man forecheck that the Islanders do, so most teams aren't prepared for it on a one off night basis. Teams are used to having a bit more time or guys more open to pass to in their own zone and the Isles work very hard to take that all away so you have to be sharp and ready and your forwards have to help out the D a lot.

The other thing the Isles do well is work very hard to backcheck which helps keep them from getting killed on odd man rushes because of their aggressive forecheck. Their players are always moving in the offensive zone and while they pressure hard, they're ready to sprint back on D if they need to.

It's an impressive bit of teamwork, you have to have everyone working on the same page. Over a seven game series though I wouldn't be surprised to see the opposing team gameplan for it which could have an impact on the outcome. I think that's one reason why the Rangers have seemed to struggle against the Islanders in the first periods of their games so far this year. Then do a better job in the 2nd period onward.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Tough stretch coming up on the road.. would be happy with a split, but hoping for 3-1 these next 4.

pjr378

Oct 12, 2014
Yonkers, New York
Didn't AV confirm after practice yesterday that Shep is playing tonight? Zuc had a maintenance day yesterday and the lines at practice were Nash-Brassard-Glass, Kreider-Stepan-St.Louis, Miller-Hayes-Hagelin, & Sheppard-Moore-Fast, which suggests that Glass might be out of the lineup.

See what we mean? Glass got an assist and he's been put on the first line already.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Throwback to the NHL/NBC scheduling game 1 on the day the Rangers asked not to play on because of MSL's mom's funeral

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I want to see how much Yandle helps breaking down the Islanders forecheck abilities. That team has been the kryptonite for this Ranger team. Well going by their record for a lot of teams. They do worry me, you would have to be crazy not to be.

IMO Tampa has been more Kryptonite-ish. Too bad we won't find out if we've solved them until the playoffs

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I think there aren't that many teams in the league that play the hard hard 2 man forecheck that the Islanders do, so most teams aren't prepared for it on a one off night basis. Teams are used to having a bit more time or guys more open to pass to in their own zone and the Isles work very hard to take that all away so you have to be sharp and ready and your forwards have to help out the D a lot.

The other thing the Isles do well is work very hard to backcheck which helps keep them from getting killed on odd man rushes because of their aggressive forecheck. Their players are always moving in the offensive zone and while they pressure hard, they're ready to sprint back on D if they need to.

It's an impressive bit of teamwork, you have to have everyone working on the same page. Over a seven game series though I wouldn't be surprised to see the opposing team gameplan for it which could have an impact on the outcome. I think that's one reason why the Rangers have seemed to struggle against the Islanders in the first periods of their games so far this year. Then do a better job in the 2nd period onward.

I have this bookmarked and going to look for it, especially if/when they meet in the playoffs.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
IMO Tampa has been more Kryptonite-ish. Too bad we won't find out if we've solved them until the playoffs

True but they faced them earlier when Tampa was red hot and Bishop was playing a good deal better. The Rangers were pretty bad for the most part when they last faced each other or were at the very beginning of getting their season sorted out. It's too bad they don't have any more games left.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Detroit is surprisingly really good this year. Tatar and Nyquist have really stepped up. I honestly didn't figure them to be a top team but they have been all year.

They have indeed, it has been a treat to watch all the youngsters the last couple seasons develop and gain vital experience. At least on the plus side, nobody can try and use the same old "Red Wings are too old and their time is up" line for the time being, although give it 5 minutes, I'm sure somebody will...ha.

Love these Original 6 match-ups, always a treat to watch. Looking forward to a good, hard fought game, and that neither side suffers any more injuries at this point in the season..we've both worked hard so far to get where we're at. Cheers! :yo:

Jan 8, 2012
NY
It's amazing to me how good Detroit continues to be. Tatar has had an unbelievable season.

Hopefully we get more than one powerplay oppurtunity. And Yandle has had a practice with the team. Looking forward to seeing how he and the rest of the team fare against the Wings.

And LOL at Rivalry Night. Rangers-Red Wings. Big rivalry right there. Good job, NBC.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
It's amazing to me how good Detroit continues to be. Tatar has had an unbelievable season.

Hopefully we get more than one powerplay oppurtunity. And Yandle has had a practice with the team. Looking forward to seeing how he and the rest of the team fare against the Wings.

And LOL at Rivalry Night. Rangers-Red Wings. Big rivalry right there. Good job, NBC.

Rivalry night is a joke most times. Its like that Philly v. Washington treadmill ad. Trying to create something where there's nothing.

And I agree about Detroit. They always find a way to build back up quickly no matter who they lose. I used to love watching them when they were out west. I'd cheer for them. Not anymore!

We can beat anyone, yes, but the Isles and Tampa I'd rather avoid if that were a possibility. And the Habs (Price) wouldn't be the same as last year I feel, though I'm still very confident wed win the series. Caps again would be exasperating but fun. Isles would be fun too, just in a more... "I may die of a heart attack" kind of way. Tampa... just **** that. Too many ex Rangers. Its like if we played Columbus in the playoffs.

Last edited:

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
I think we already know what this team is made of", honestly..... Who would have thunk we'd be 11-2-2 with Hank out? Anyone would've signed up for that WITH Hank!

I didn't fear any team BEFORE Yandle....... I don't see any reason we can't be 3-1 prior to Buffalo. Time frame on Hank is what I want.

yes but we beat some bad teams in that 11-2-2. Two against the Coyotes, Toronto, Buffalo, Colorado to name a few. This is a tough tough 5 game stretch and we just beat the best team in the league on Monday.

Keep it up.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
They have indeed, it has been a treat to watch all the youngsters the last couple seasons develop and gain vital experience. At least on the plus side, nobody can try and use the same old "Red Wings are too old and their time is up" line for the time being, although give it 5 minutes, I'm sure somebody will...ha.

Love these Original 6 match-ups, always a treat to watch. Looking forward to a good, hard fought game, and that neither side suffers any more injuries at this point in the season..we've both worked hard so far to get where we're at. Cheers! :yo:

Yeah your team has done a great job developing young players in the AHL. They also do a great job looking under rocks and finding/drafting good young European players. I always loved watching Datsyuk play, he is so fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad