Series Talk: Rangers/Craps (Game 1 is Sunday 4/21 @ 3pm ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Here. We. Go.

IMG_0363.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
It’s a minor failure if these series even goes 6, but have a bad feeling it will go 6 or 7.

Caps are one of the worst playoff teams in recent years and weren’t even trying to make the playoffs. We added 2 top 9 forwards and a bottom pairing d at the trade deadline, while they traded away the same thing.
Initially, I didn't want to play them again. (Boring and redundant for me). Now, 20/20 hindsight being a real thing, happy it wasn't Detroit, nor Philly as that would have been initiation to the PO's. What I'm trying to say is... that they're not going to get a taste, which slows them down from becoming a regular PO team and somewhat of a contender moving forward. Caps are on the outs.
5 games would be perfect. 4 is TOO quick, with too much time before next series. 6 (road) or a 7th lends itself to injury possibilities and that puck luck thing

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I believe MSG has rights to all the first round games, so it should be on MSG as well.
As soon as the first round is over I’m canceling my MSG+ subscription till next season. Hopefully there will be improvements like ability to watch from the start the game if it’s already in progress but also to pause, ff or rewind. For $30 per month these features are a must (especially since these are available on other platforms like ESPN+, or MAX, etc).

Reactions: Jim Ramsay

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
im assuming people are just remembering when the Rangers took the lead in the series? The hubris went to max.

Even then I didn't think the hubris was out of proportion to having a 2-0 series lead on the road while winning both games 5-1. Are Rangers fans never supposed to celebrate wins and series leads?

Or was this a play on "cut the hubris"?

trueblue30nyr

Jan 31, 2011
Manhattan
I feel like Game 3 of that Devils series was a lot like Game 3 of the Tampa series the year before that. Losing that game in triple OT, like losing the Tampa game after being up by 2 (I think) halfway through the third, took the wind out of their sails and they never recovered.

That's the feeling I got anyway. Those heartbreak losses kill their mojo.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The Capitals aren't the Florida Panthers of last season.

Florida scored 72 more goals than the Caps this season, they took more shots and had better number offensively almost everywhere.

The Caps play better defense but not by very much. They cant score goals consistently. They've scored more than 2 only once in the last 11 games. They have a good PP, but hopefully that is nullified by the Rangers stingy PK.

It would be an epic fail if the Rangers lose this series. 3 goals is the magic number. Get 3 past Charlie and theres a good chance it will be a win.

What have you done for me lately?
Last 20 Games

NYR
15-5-0 +16

3.65 GF/GP (6th)
2.85 GA/GP (13th)
31.4% PP (1st)
88.9% PK (3rd)

WSH
10-8-2 -13
2.45 GF/GP (27th)
3.10 GA/GP (19th)
26.3% PP (6th)
73.2% PK (27th)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I feel like Game 3 of that Devils series was a lot like Game 3 of the Tampa series the year before that. Losing that game in triple OT, like losing the Tampa game after being up by 2 (I think) halfway through the third, took the wind out of their sails and they never recovered.

That's the feeling I got anyway. Those heartbreak losses kill their mojo.

The penalty that resulted in the game tying goal in that game was BS if I remember.

Reactions: gabevh3

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The Capitals aren't the Florida Panthers of last season.

Florida scored 72 more goals than the Caps this season, they took more shots and had better number offensively almost everywhere.

The Caps play better defense but not by very much. They cant score goals consistently. They've scored more than 2 only once in the last 11 games. They have a good PP, but hopefully that is nullified by the Rangers stingy PK.

It would be an epic fail if the Rangers lose this series. 3 goals is the magic number. Get 3 past Charlie and theres a good chance it will be a win.

What have you done for me lately?
Last 20 Games

NYR
15-5-0 +16

3.65 GF/GP (6th)
2.85 GA/GP (13th)
31.4% PP (1st)
88.9% PK (3rd)

WSH
10-8-2 -13
2.45 GF/GP (27th)
3.10 GA/GP (19th)
26.3% PP (6th)
73.2% PK (27th)

To be honest, the absolute best case scenario that I see is Penguins 2015 5 games where every game is something like 2-1, boring grind it out game that we lose years off our lives from. Of course, more likely it's going 7. Hell I even see a possibility of just plain losing. What I don't see is a series that's short and we have breathing room in games.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
Even then I didn't think the hubris was out of proportion to having a 2-0 series lead on the road while winning both games 5-1. Are Rangers fans never supposed to celebrate wins and series leads?

Or was this a play on "cut the hubris"?
It was a play on cut the hubris. But I will admit of one of those dont say “shutout” people.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
To be honest, the absolute best case scenario that I see is Penguins 2015 5 games where every game is something like 2-1, boring grind it out game that we lose years off our lives from. Of course, more likely it's going 7. Hell I even see a possibility of just plain losing. What I don't see is a series that's short and we have breathing room in games.
I expect the games to be close.

I expect the Caps to try to impose their will physically to compensate for their offensive deficiencies. Which is why its important to get out of this series in less than 6 if possible, to reduce the wear on their bodies.

They will be clogging lanes, blocking shots, Lindgren will be stout.

I am expecting frustrating moments where the Rangers dominate play and the Caps come back and get a flukey dumb goal. Im expecting some horrible calls going the Caps way like Ottawa-esque kicked in playoff goals and blatant stick fouls going un called. Im expecting Wilson and co. to try and get away with a lot of bullshit after the whistle, including conveniently running and falling into Igor.

The Rangers just need to put their heads down, strap on the blinders and just play their game like they have all season. Play a solid systems game and go to work. If they take liberties, battle back and show a response, but dont get baited into taking dumb retaliation penalties and getting away from the game that got them here.

Scoring the first goal will be big in these games
Keeping the foot on the gas for 60 is a must.
Playing the system and drawing penalties 5on5 is a key
The special teams matchup is largely in the Rangers favor and they need to exploit that

Last edited:

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
They are a well organized team. We have to play similarly organized hockey vs them.
The capitals? They are not a well organized team. They’re a team that can’t do many things right so they try and slow play down as much as possible, but can’t really do it effectively.

Reactions: Rongomania
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad