Rangers: Contenders or Pretenders this year?

NYR contender or pretender

• Contender

• Pretender

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
They could contend to win a round or maybe two. Shesterkin comes back healthy and plays well they'll be a tough out.

As far as contenders to win a Stanley Cup this year? Don't think so. There are quite a few better teams.

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
They've definitely had some nice efforts this year. I agree with someone above that they could possibly win in the first playoff round.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I voted "pretender" because I'm all about "show me you can win" before I believe in you. One of the reasons I also have Florida as a pretender - since they haven't won a single playoff round in over 25 years.

But - I do like the makeup of the Ranger's team, and I think they have a solid goaltender. I wouldn't be shocked if they manage to do well in the playoffs. Still - gun to my head, I pick quite a few other teams as more likely then them to do well in playoffs, and hence - pretender.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
My order of the teams I would rather my team Pens to meet in playoffs(east)

1. Rangers
2. Capitals
3. Toronto
4. Boston
5. Florida
6. Canes
7. Tampa

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Haven't you people learned not to doubt Gallant? Just be ready with your Uber in a couple of years.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Voted Pretender but a trade for a C like Hertl and they could quickly become a contender. Shesterkin is quickly becoming the best goalie on the NHL.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
Overall team, probably pretender, like 10-15 range overall in the league and one of the bottom playoff teams in the east

however, voted contender simply because of shesterkin plus Fox, Panarin, and Zibanejad. With a hot goalie and top-end talent they could go on a run and beat anyone

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I think they're a great team. Strong at forward, defense and in net. However, I also think the group needs more playoff experience together before they can be considered a legitimate cup contender. The only holding them back from a series win or two is the bloodbath that is the eastern conference.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Teams that get outshot pretty regularly at 5v5, tend to struggle in the playoffs. As of now, they’d face Washington in round 1 and (probably) Carolina in round 2. Both consistently outshoot and out-PDO their competition. I’m not sure NYR would even be the favorite in round 1.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
The rangers will likely be one of the 2 worst playoff teams in the east. Sometimes it’s about timing. Shesty is capable I winning a playoff round round, but the center depth is what will hurt this team from going deep. The east is just too competitive. If the rangers were in the west I’d like there chances MUCH more.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Shesterkin alone could help them win a couple playoff rounds. We saw Lundqvist do it time and time again with worse teams than Shesterkin has now.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don’t think they’re good enough top to bottom to win 4 rounds, and I wouldn’t put them clearly above any of the other East teams that are currently in the playoffs, but they’ll deservedly make the playoffs, and have the top end talent to beat anyone in a 7 game series.

Reactions: SNES

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
There's only been one time since xG started being tracked that a team ranking as low as the Rangers won the Cup. They can get by because they have an unreal goalie and the star power to give him the little support he needs but I can't see it holding up for a playoff run and them winning a Cup.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Its gonna be a hard hard road in the east this year. Someone has to win. Could be the Rangers! Or any of the other teams. I know this sounds like a cop out, but its a really good and deep group of playoff teams this year.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
I voted contender...since, IMO, I believe a true pretender earns that title...through repeated and systematic failure at thriving. As the Habs shown last season, you can rise from the bottom to become a contender, but a pretender lacks the drive, willpower and character to succeed, and fails early and often with every opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad