Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Capitals - October 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Well, what were your expectations after losing Yandle and inserting a bunch of rookies into our team (top 6, bottom 6, defense)?

Would I like for this team to be 5-0? Absolutely. But to be 3-2 and in 2nd for goals per game in the NHL despite having no real elite talent shows me that we arguably have the deepest forward crops in the NHL.

What do you do when you have so much talent up front? Use it to fill in the holes on the back. The direction of the team is very promising despite a pedestrian 3-2 record.

But I don't think our D has been that terrible all things considered. I remember last year we were going Harlem Globtrotter on the St. Louis Blues. So our O last year was good too. But our team defense has been so much better this year. Today they showed me something. Against the Isles and Sharks they played great team D through the first two periods and then fell apart in the 3rd. Today they showed that they CAN indeed lock it down in the 3rd.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
there's a lot of positives to take from tonight

• McDonagh made the Caps his *****
• Vesey had 2 goals, which IMO is cool
• Win despite a quiet night from the Z-line
• Hank had a .929%
• 4 goals scored against a team that had only allowed 5 coming in
• Edge in shot attempts for 2/3 of the game
• 0-2 comeback
• Hayes looked great

I agree

I'm saying that the fact that this was our worst so far this year and would be one of or best last year shows how we've improved.

It's a positive.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
i'm really dreading the day Girardi comes back.

i'm enjoying this while it lasts

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
But I don't think our D has been that terrible all things considered. I remember last year we were going Harlem Globtrotter on the St. Louis Blues. So our O last year was good too. But our team defense has been so much better this year. Today they showed me something. Against the Isles and Sharks they played great team D through the first two periods and then fell apart in the 3rd. Today they showed that they CAN indeed lock it down in the 3rd.

It hasn't been that bad this year. Marc Staal has been borderline good. McDonagh looks like McD. I like Clendening. Fact of the matter is it is still our weakest area. Wouldn't be bad to upgrade if we can.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I kind of miss the days when all our ire with AV was over playing an insignificant 4th liner and not someone he'll likely put on the top pairing.

When were those days? Because there were a lot of complaints (deservingly) about him doing both.

Glass blows and I'm happy they have a 4th line that can actually play hockey this year, but the looming return of G is a much bigger issue than Glass would have ever been, because you know hes getting top pairing minutes when he's good to go.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That was horrible tending on the 2nd Vesey goal. Holtby goes down early for no reason and then pushes up to his feet right as Vesey is taking the shot. Vesey had like 60% of the net to slide it to either at the far post or through the legs.

Holtby was trying to pokecheck or at least keep Vesey from drawing the puck across the front of the crease. Didn't work out for him but if it did then the whole play was a big old nothing.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
When were those days? Because there were a lot of complaints (deservingly) about him doing both.

Glass blows and I'm happy they have a 4th line that can actually play hockey this year, but the looming return of G is a much bigger issue than Glass would have ever been, because you know hes getting top pairing minutes when he's good to go.

That's exactly what I said...

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Assuming Girardi goes back into the top pairing, there's a high probability he gets injured again. Playing big minutes and his need to use the body in ways he does because he can't do much else isn't helping his cause.

I'm not rooting for him to be injured, but I wouldn't be shocked if he is injured again this season. He needs to change his game to be put in better situations so he does not get injured. His body can't take much more.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Great road win. Nice to keep the streak in Washington alive.

Anyone see the TOI for the D? McD and Staal looked very solid, but if we don't play anyone else in the 3rd period they are not going to last 82 games.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
yea

AV has played McD and Klein before, any reason he's not playing them together with or without Girardi?

towards the end of last year when staal was playing with klein while McD was injured. staal finally got his conditioning up and his legs back at that point and that was a solid 2nd pairing with good chemistry.. My guess is AV knows McD will be getting a new partner this year so he wants to keep the klein staal chemistry bubbling

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
towards the end of last year when staal was playing with klein while McD was injured. staal finally got his conditioning up and his legs back at that point and that was a solid 2nd pairing with good chemistry.. My guess is AV knows McD will be getting a new partner this year so he wants to keep the klein staal chemistry bubbling

throw Falon on the right side

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Cap fan says his team lost to an 'inferior opponent'. :laugh:. Don't know where the Rangers are inferior but ok.

I mean, it'll take a lot to make up the gap from last year and our D personnel is not great. However, I liked those that said we're a bad team. It's still early but at least at this moment that is far from true.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I mean, it'll take a lot to make up the gap from last year and our D personnel is not great. However, I liked those that said we're a bad team. It's still early but at least at this moment that is far from true.

Whole league probably thinks NYR are awful. Fine with me. Need one d man. Team can really skate and move the puck now.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
the zbad+Vesey signings were monumental. Pirri was very good.

honestly Gorton had a borderline GOAT offseason considering what he did. no real horrible moves either...and Tanner Glass is in the minors...

giphy.gif

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
the zbad+Vesey signings were monumental. Pirri was very good.

honestly Gorton had a borderline GOAT offseason considering what he did. no real horrible moves either...and Tanner Glass is in the minors...

giphy.gif

i'd rather stay away from that chant the isles do. how do you post something like that without showing the link? i always post just the link say for a tweet

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
i'm really dreading the day Girardi comes back.

i'm enjoying this while it lasts

To be honest Holden and Skjei hasnt played any better than Girardi one a decent night. Dont think it will be a bigger problem than Holden is atm. Skjei has been bad imo, horrible when he gets pressured down low. Some nice breakouts because he is a good skater but other than that, he is young and not ready yet imo. Think he would really benefit from another year in Hartford. Cant handle the pressure from NHL players on the forecheck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia